Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RaptorFan
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby RaptorFan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

JesseTDI wrote:Hey fellas,

Having a debate with a friend of mine, do part timers get benefits? She seems to think "in lieu of" means you still get them..

Dont take my word on this but I was told casuals do not. I was also told it takes something like two years until one isnt a casual anymore. Again, I could be wrong.

rjwlewy
Rookie Member

Postby rjwlewy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 pm

RaptorFan wrote:

Having a debate with a friend of mine, do part timers get benefits? She seems to think "in lieu of" means you still get them..

Dont take my word on this but I was told casuals do not. I was also told it takes something like two years until one isnt a casual anymore. Again, I could be wrong.

Casuals can pay for the benefits and you still get the in lieu of percentage on your paycheque. It takes a certain amount of hours worked to go from a CO1 to a CO2. Something 1900 or so.
Ontario Correctional Officer CO2

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm

rjwlewy wrote:
RaptorFan wrote:

Casuals can pay for the benefits and you still get the in lieu of percentage on your paycheque. It takes a certain amount of hours worked to go from a CO1 to a CO2. Something 1900 or so.

This information appears to be correct with a CO1to CO2 is aprx 2080 hours. 2856 Hours is the minimum requirement to be eligible to be offered a rollover to apply for full-time.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Fonthill wrote:This information appears to be correct with a CO1to CO2 is aprx 2080 hours. 2856 Hours is the minimum requirement to be eligible to be offered a rollover to apply for full-time.

That gets you on the list... Doesn't mean you'll get a FT position at all.
There are other factors in play.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Chasingthddream wrote:
Lospollos wrote:
AirborneInfantry wrote:Hi everyone, I am wondering how difficult it is to attain a posting in the Ottawa area. Is it a very desired location? At what point in the process if you are successful do you discover your work location?

Thank you.

Me and my buddy just got into Ottawa, in terms of diserable or non diserable I am not sure. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

By just got into Ottawa, do you mean you're starting COTA in march?

Yep COTA in March OCDC in may
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm

AirborneInfantry wrote:Thanks guys, I was wondering if it was similar to CBSA or RCMP where you do not find out until a certain point in training.

Thank you.

When you get the call to get to COTA you will get a conditional offer and the institution that they have assigned you to.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Fonthill wrote:This information appears to be correct with a CO1to CO2 is aprx 2080 hours. 2856 Hours is the minimum requirement to be eligible to be offered a rollover to apply for full-time.

Yes, you gotta start them some wheres ;)

Then add CSD weeks. Then actually hours worked.

Does that sound better. Lol

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Bitterman wrote:

Does that sound better. Lol

Maybe it's changing, but... I know people who spent upwards of 12 years as casuals.
Average time though I'd say is 4 to 6 years.

One good thing for some I suppose is that they've removed merit from the hiring equation.
You used to have to compete for a FT position... These days you just have to hang in long enough and wait your turn.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Ah91
Rookie Member

Postby Ah91 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 am

There are other factors in play.[/quote]

Does that sound better. Lol[/quote]

Maybe it's changing, but... I know people who spent upwards of 12 years as casuals.

One good thing for some I suppose is that they've removed merit from the hiring equation.
You used to have to compete for a FT position... These days you just have to hang in long enough and wait your turn.[/quote]

Merit should definitely still be a factor in the hiring equation. This is assuming the process would be fair and non-biased.

JesseTDI
Rookie Member

Postby JesseTDI » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:55 pm

You used to have to compete for a FT position... These days you just have to hang in long enough and wait your turn.

I wouldn't call that a good thing. If you suck you shouldn't get it at all. In my opinion, length if service shouldn't be as highly viewed as quality of employee, but what do I know lol.

Side note, co1 and co2 are both casual positions? Can someone explain the difference? I always thought co2 was full timer and co1 was part timer/casual.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm

JesseTDI wrote:

I wouldn't call that a good thing. If you suck you shouldn't get it at all. In my opinion, length if service shouldn't be as highly viewed as quality of employee, but what do I know lol.

Side note, co1 and co2 are both casual positions? Can someone explain the difference? I always thought co2 was full timer and co1 was part timer/casual.

Only difference between CO1 and CO2 is, the rate of pay.

You are the same rank and no, just because you are a CO1, you have no pull.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Ah91 wrote:Merit should definitely still be a factor in the hiring equation.

It is not.

Ah91 wrote: This is assuming the process would be fair and non-biased.

Fair and non-biased isn't a thing in corrections...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Fonthill wrote:Only difference between CO1 and CO2 is, the rate of pay.

We may have covered this before, but... "rank" doesn't really exist among CO's.
CO1, CO2 is a "classification"..
If you want to attribute the essence of rank to a situation.... Casuals are trump'd by full timers 100% of the time. Among full timers its seniority that trumps.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

JoshG
Rookie Member

Postby JoshG » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:31 am

Fonthill wrote:Only difference between CO1 and CO2 is, the rate of pay.

What is that rate of pay difference?
Corrections Officer

COFPC
Rookie Member

Postby COFPC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

FYI, Open letter from the Deputy Minister, February 20, 2018

Today, the government introduced the Correctional Services Transformation Act, 2018. If passed, it would repeal and replace the Ministry of Correctional Services Act, 1990, and lay a strong foundation for a transformation of correctional services that enhances safety, and protects human rights and dignity for all. Through collaboration with staff, partner ministries and other stakeholders, we will become a national leader in correctional services aligned with international standards of care.

The proposed legislation was developed in consultation with Correctional Services’ management and staff, and stakeholders. It was informed by expert reviews and reports, including from the independent advisor on corrections reform, the Ontario Ombudsman, and the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre Task Force. The new legislation, if passed, will:
•set rules around, and clearly define, segregation
•improve conditions of confinement
•increase transparency and accountability
•clearly define the health care services that clients in custody should have access to
•better support rehabilitation and reintegration
•support staff professionalism through enhanced standards and education

Change will not happen all at once. Initiatives will be phased-in over time based on system readiness and the appropriate supports being in place. Some initiatives will require the development of additional regulations and/or operational policy. More information on the legislation is also available on the MCSCS intranet. I also encourage you to speak with your manager about these proposed changes.

As we embark on our transformation journey, it is important to note that we are building on projects already underway. For example:
•over 1,400 new correctional officers have been deployed to facilities across the province
•additional mental health nurses were hired to provide specialized services to clients
•the rollout of new protective equipment for correctional officers
•focused programs and resources for medium- to high-risk clients on probation or parole
•additional training for probation and parole officers with a specific focus on domestic violence and sex offender supervision
•continued rollout of Strategic Training Initiative in Community Supervision (STICS) across the province

As we work to transform and modernize correctional services, I am committed to ensuring the well-being of our staff and managers and providing the resources, tools and supports you need throughout this process.

Your engagement is critical to our success. This is your opportunity to be on the leading edge of change and I invite you to actively contribute to our transformational objectives. The Modernization Division is establishing opportunities to engage you in this process, including taking part in a Champions Network, joining policy reference tables, and sharing your stories. These initiatives will be introduced over the coming weeks. In the meantime, you can get in touch with the Modernization team via email at MCSCSModernization@ontario.ca.

Thank you for your support on our unprecedented journey to build modern correctional services that enhance safety, and protect human rights and dignity.

Sincerely,

Sam Erry, Deputy Minister of Correctional Services