Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TackleberryOnDuty
Rookie Member

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby TackleberryOnDuty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 am

Question about the MCSC website about recruiting. Jast wanted some clarification.

Stage Three - Personal Interview

This stage consists of a personal interview based on the core competencies required of a correctional officer. After the interview, each applicant is required to undergo:

physical abilities testing;
medical examination
security and employment reference checks; and
character reference checks.

What exactly does the "pyhsical abilities testing" include?

All candidates are required to successfully complete a six-week training program in adult or young offender specialization to prepare them to enter the type of institution in which they wish to work.

Is this paid training?
If you are in the training, do you know by that time which facility you will be working at?

Thanks in advance!
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:47 pm

TackleberryOnDuty wrote:What exactly does the "pyhsical abilities testing" include?

Can you sit in a chair and get your feet up onto a desk...?

Can you hold a coffe in one hand and a grievance form in the other while walking and chewing gum/tobacco at the same time...?

TackleberryOnDuty wrote:Is this paid training?

Yes... all the people who are in it paid for it...

TackleberryOnDuty wrote:If you are in the training, do you know by that time which facility you will be working at?

At some point in the course you'll be streamed YO or adult and asked to list your prefference a to work location... From what i hear most of the time you'll get your first pick... Second at worst.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:02 pm

The physical abilities test is done your first day at the Correctional College in Hamilton. You must do a flexibility test, strength test, lifting test, and shuttle run. If you fail you are sent home, there are no second chances.

Is there a physical now???? Im blown away. When I did COSTART it was a walking circuit with bending over and lifting up pylons.

I went to do the PIN, but no one else wanted to do it, so the teacher said not to bother.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 pm

I liked the old Sesame Street Count method, one stupid head HA HA HA, two stupid heads HA HA HA, three stupid heads HA HA HA ...............

:rolllaugh: oh that was hillarious, you just made my night Diesel, I remember that stupid count lol
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Hey hold on there, the COUNT is not stupid. :shame:
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:23 am

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:25 am

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:09 pm

^Im impressed.

Its my opinion, that any person who puts on a public safety related uniform that has a front line position, should be screened by way of a competetive physical fitness test.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ba2llb
Rookie Member

Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby ba2llb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm

The application for the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services of Ontario states "If you were educated outside of Canada and/or do not have a university degree or a diploma from a 2 year community college program issued by an accredited school in Canada or the U.S.A., please contact the Central Recruitment Unit..."

Does this mean you require a university degree or college diploma? I have a university degree but not in social science, human services, correctional services, or criminology. The 'and/or' seems to imply 'yes' but I would like to hear from those forum members who have actual insight.
Contacted CSC RHQ 16 Feb 2009 (Alberta)
Mandatory Information Session 25 Feb 2009 (Halifax, NS)
Application 28 Feb 2009 (updated application 08 Mar 2009)
First Aid & CPR 'C' w/AED 01 Mar 2009

MCSCS Application 01 Apr 2009 (Ontario)

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Apollo wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:^Im impressed.

Its my opinion, that any person who puts on a public safety related uniform that has a front line position, should be screened by way of a competetive physical fitness test.

I agree 100%. I'm surprised they're only now trying to implement the PIN to the hiring process.

I did not have to do the PIN and I made out just fine. It is a different kind of physical, I would pit Frostie and I against anyone one of you fit PIN's in the art of cracking a cell and taking the bad guy out. I learned very quick to make the fight short and bring lots of friends. ;)
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 pm

During a recent testing/information session, the recruiting officer talked about the physical capabilities test. The clincher is, it's age related. The score required to pass is different for a younger person vs. an older person.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

beerbaron105
Rookie Member

Postby beerbaron105 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Apollo wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:
The physical abilities test is done your first day at the Correctional College in Hamilton. You must do a flexibility test, strength test, lifting test, and shuttle run. If you fail you are sent home, there are no second chances.

Is there a physical now???? Im blown away. When I did COSTART it was a walking circuit with bending over and lifting up pylons.

I went to do the PIN, but no one else wanted to do it, so the teacher said not to bother.

It's called COTA now. They changed the entire course from start to finish. It was tough, a lot of work when I went through. Studying and doing work every night. Plate was full there. It's not an easy 7 weeks. Far from a walk in the park. No one holds your hand there, there is a lot of self directed learning.

I did the COTA, the physical involved bending over pylons, going up on your "tippy toes" and other ridiculous physical requirements. We also had the pin test, which actually had some physical elements to it, however, it was completely optional, so most people opted out, because why risk doing extra work if you don't have to?? *ridiculous*

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Just received my results from the MCSCS information/testing session I attended recently, I passed :thumbsup: . Now, I wait for the interview process to begin. Anyone here been through it before?
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.