Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:So what you are saying Bitter is that the phase 2 officers lost their peace officer status going over to the new comsoc.


Well, comsoc is no longer in the yoot justice business.
It's the "new" MCYS... Ministry of Children and Youth Services that looks after all the bad kiddies..

And yes... any adult/dual CO's who became employees of the new MCYS were "reclassified as "Youth Workers" and stripped of their peace officer status.

I myself spent three years with the MCYS and was quietly reclassified... ie they didn't tell us outright. I just noticed it one day while looking at my personal info on our intranet HR system. :ponder:

I was like... WTF?

Long story short... one grievance and a couple phonecalls and I was back with MCSCS my classification reverted back to CO2, status reinstated and transferred to an adult inst. livin' the dream :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:09 am
Location: Western Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Interesting, the games they play. And I call it Comsoc becuase that Ministry is worse than Corrections at changing names.

And a dream it is. :P
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Mississauga86
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Mississauga86 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

I've been told that there is a chance I might not hear anything in March. If that happens, I will have to re-apply again. Another 12 month wait, I think I'll go to college, get some eduMacation :mrgreen:

mcswill
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby mcswill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:28 am

I am a Corrections Officer and while MCSCS is still actively recruiting, be careful what you wish for. I have been Unclassified for 4-1/2yrs and am still a bit down the line for a full time job. Up until now hours were OK, but because they are continuosly recruiting the number of people dividing up the hours are making it harder week to week and also making it so that it takes more and more time before a position will open up. You can check the Ministries website but also make sure you check with the Employees Websites to learn everything before you make your decision to join the ranks.

User avatar
Bruffy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bruffy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:56 am

mcswill wrote:I am a Corrections Officer and while MCSCS is still actively recruiting, be careful what you wish for. I have been Unclassified for 4-1/2yrs and am still a bit down the line for a full time job. Up until now hours were OK, but because they are continuosly recruiting the number of people dividing up the hours are making it harder week to week and also making it so that it takes more and more time before a position will open up. You can check the Ministries website but also make sure you check with the Employees Websites to learn everything before you make your decision to join the ranks.

mcswill:
What region do you work in? The point you brought up is of grave concern to me personally. I just got a notice in the mail to attend an upcoming information/testing session with MCSCS. Which is kind of ironic, considering I didn't make the interview stage with CSC.
I, like many others on here have a mortgage, bills, and the other finer things in life to pay for. Yes, I made it out of my parent's basement. If MCSCS keeps recruiting/hiring more and more people and thinning out hours, how do they expect an employee to make a decent living? I'm currently working straight days, Mon.-Fri., job security for 3+ years, at $45K per year. So here is the scenario. I quit my secure job (rare nowadays), leave my house for six weeks, pay the $2100 for room/board, pay $1000 for travel expenses, make less money over a time period of 4+ years to wait for a full time job to be posted. Then compete for said position with no guarantee of getting a full time job at all because someone was more qualified or has his/her head jammed up a supervisor's ass? Doesn't make logical sense to me; but, I'll attend the information/testing session to see what they say :banghead: .
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

User avatar
T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:09 am
Location: Western Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm

I am sure if you ask any of us that were unclassifiedk, it is always like that, hire a ton, retire a bunch, classify a bunch and lose a bunch. They will never stay ahead of the game as they always hold back on the classified positions until the last possible minute and then start all over again.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
beerbaron105
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby beerbaron105 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Bruffy wrote:
mcswill wrote:I am a Corrections Officer and while MCSCS is still actively recruiting, be careful what you wish for. I have been Unclassified for 4-1/2yrs and am still a bit down the line for a full time job. Up until now hours were OK, but because they are continuosly recruiting the number of people dividing up the hours are making it harder week to week and also making it so that it takes more and more time before a position will open up. You can check the Ministries website but also make sure you check with the Employees Websites to learn everything before you make your decision to join the ranks.

mcswill:
What region do you work in? The point you brought up is of grave concern to me personally. I just got a notice in the mail to attend an upcoming information/testing session with MCSCS. Which is kind of ironic, considering I didn't make the interview stage with CSC.
I, like many others on here have a mortgage, bills, and the other finer things in life to pay for. Yes, I made it out of my parent's basement. If MCSCS keeps recruiting/hiring more and more people and thinning out hours, how do they expect an employee to make a decent living? I'm currently working straight days, Mon.-Fri., job security for 3+ years, at $45K per year. So here is the scenario. I quit my secure job (rare nowadays), leave my house for six weeks, pay the $2100 for room/board, pay $1000 for travel expenses, make less money over a time period of 4+ years to wait for a full time job to be posted. Then compete for said position with no guarantee of getting a full time job at all because someone was more qualified or has his/her head jammed up a supervisor's ass? Doesn't make logical sense to me; but, I'll attend the information/testing session to see what they say :banghead: .


You will make quite a bit more then 45k/yr if you are going to a large institution, Maplehurst/Toronto Jails, Central North...

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:32 pm

beerbaron105 wrote:You will make quite a bit more then 45k/yr if you are going to a large institution, Maplehurst/Toronto Jails, Central North...


Yeah... T4's came out a couple weeks ago.

Many Casuals at my inst are well over the $80k mark and are still bitching about how they have trouble makin' the payments on their $40000+ cars :mrgreen:

Keep in mind... if you're going into it for the money... Me I'm in it for the glory... For casuals, take the basic pay add 14% right away for the pay in lieu of vac they give you. Then add 6-7k in shift premiums and then add whatever OT you wanna work.

Bitch all y'want, but... I don't know what job's starting pay is near that given the education/qualifications required...
I mean... Where else can a 21 year old walk in off the street and in their first year earn that kind of money?
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
beerbaron105
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby beerbaron105 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 am

Bitterman wrote:
beerbaron105 wrote:You will make quite a bit more then 45k/yr if you are going to a large institution, Maplehurst/Toronto Jails, Central North...


Yeah... T4's came out a couple weeks ago.

Many Casuals at my inst are well over the $80k mark and are still bitching about how they have trouble makin' the payments on their $40000+ cars :mrgreen:

Keep in mind... if you're going into it for the money... Me I'm in it for the glory... For casuals, take the basic pay add 14% right away for the pay in lieu of vac they give you. Then add 6-7k in shift premiums and then add whatever OT you wanna work.

Bitch all y'want, but... I don't know what job's starting pay is near that given the education/qualifications required...
I mean... Where else can a 21 year old walk in off the street and in their first year earn that kind of money?


They really can't.. but then again maybe that's why we had an 84% yes vote for the contract. They quickly realized what they would potentially miss out on! :angel:

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 pm

beerbaron105 wrote:They really can't.. but then again maybe that's why we had an 84% yes vote for the contract. They quickly realized what they would potentially miss out on! :angel:


Yeah, some were running around as if the sky was falling.... Newbs :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
Bruffy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bruffy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm

You will make quite a bit more then 45k/yr if you are going to a large institution, Maplehurst/Toronto Jails, Central North...


I'm looking at starting somewhere in the eastern region.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

User avatar
Bruffy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bruffy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I wrote the Correctional Officer test for the eastern region 03/14/09. There was 40 people in attendance, 27 m/13 w. Noticed a few things prior to writing the test.

1) The letter I received clearly stated that the information/testing session was to start at 8:30 am, and I quote "sharp".
However, two people arrived at 8:45, and another person at 8:55.
2) Of the 40 people in attendance, at least 10 were still enrolled in the Law and Security and had not actually graduated.
3) They were definitely recruiting for all age groups: 19-25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-up.

Of the testing, there was about 400 questions in total. The correctional officer counting test was 18 questions. We were
informed that if you get ONE wrong, you fail the test completely. Test results will be mailed to you, regardless of a pass or
fail.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

User avatar
T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:09 am
Location: Western Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Man I would have failed the counting test, I only have ten fingers not eighteen, ohh wait could have use my toes. And I will ask, what is a correctional officer counting test?
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:12 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Man I would have failed the counting test, I only have ten fingers not eighteen, ohh wait could have use my toes. And I will ask, what is a correctional officer counting test?



Believe it or not... A buddy o' mine with a degree in mathematics failed the counting test!
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:09 am
Location: Western Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 am

Bitterman wrote:
T.M.DIESEL wrote:Man I would have failed the counting test, I only have ten fingers not eighteen, ohh wait could have use my toes. And I will ask, what is a correctional officer counting test?



Believe it or not... A buddy o' mine with a degree in mathematics failed the counting test!


I liked the old Sesame Street Count method, one stupid head HA HA HA, two stupid heads HA HA HA, three stupid heads HA HA HA ...............
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Canadianpatriot and 9 guests