Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mississauga86
Rookie Member

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby Mississauga86 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:58 am

I am still waiting to receive my testing date and location. The last time I called I was told that I should be getting something in March.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 am

Good tip would be to say you will go anywhere in the Province if you do not care, makes a difference in wait times. I originally applied for Fort Francis and they put me in Sudbury all about two months from application to training. I saw the Soo posted a bunch of fulltime positions for the youth side of things so means they will need a bunch of unclassified staff.

Now this is my quesiton, it looks like this new youth officer position is being totally separated from the Adult system, does that mean no more Bell Cairn for them and no more Peace Officer status??
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 pm

no peace officer status, thats a scary thought
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:18 pm

MikeR wrote:no peace officer status, thats a scary thought

What is commonly know as phase 1, those officers have no peace officer status and made out just fine but you are right, not the best idea for sure.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 pm

what is phase 1?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Years ago they split the Young offenders into two different groups. Phase 1 was 12 to 16 less a day and Phase 2 was 16 to 18 less a day (now there are older YO's but that is another story).

After the slpit, they proceeded to privatize the Phase 1's but kept the Phase 2's under the Ministry of Correctional Services. Phase 1 officers were not Peace Officers and some were not represented by OPSUE. The Phase 2 was kept in the Public Service and kept their Peace Officer status, the exception was Camp Turnaround it was private and no Peace Officer status.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:25 pm

those privatized phase 1s wouldn't happen to be those group homes for young offenders where that one girl was raped and beaten by one of the kids would they?

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Probably not as the Phase 1 Facilities would be mostly a secure facility and would not have the males and females mixed in the same area. So not group homes but Facilities such as Syl Apps in Oakville.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:37 pm

oh ok, I think I gotcha now. Well, for the youth officers, lets hope they get their training and Peace officer status, with our current Youth Criminal Justice Act, it takes a helluva lot for a 15 year old to find himself incarcerated, so the ones who are there I'm willing to bet are pretty bad kids, and I know I wouldn't want to deal with them without peace officer status and at least a pair of handcuffs.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Well as far as I know CO's in Ontrio still do not have handcuffs. Usually the Supervisor and an Emergency Person will carry them and the spares would be in the control area in case of an emergency.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:28 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Well as far as I know CO's in Ontrio still do not have handcuffs. Usually the Supervisor and an Emergency Person will carry them and the spares would be in the control area in case of an emergency.

Varies from inst. to inst... I've carried 'cuffs for 20 years. 'Still using my first pouch. Old school leather. :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:37 pm

MikeR wrote:oh ok, I think I gotcha now. Well, for the youth officers, lets hope they get their training and Peace officer status, with our current Youth Criminal Justice Act, it takes a helluva lot for a 15 year old to find himself incarcerated, so the ones who are there I'm willing to bet are pretty bad kids, and I know I wouldn't want to deal with them without peace officer status and at least a pair of handcuffs.

Youth workers will not be sworn as peace officers.... Ever.
Politics and optics.

I see it going one of two ways... Most likely eventual total and complete privatization or..... Returned under the jurisdiction of Correctional Services because the new ministry will totally f*** it up when it comes to custody.

I have several close associates and former coowerkrs who are involved with opening up the new centre in Brampton...
A few recruited out of retirement and a few cherry-picked and placed in management positions in order to help get the place started off in the right direction...
Good luck to them.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:38 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:the exception was Camp Turnaround it was private and no Peace Officer status.

I drove by there a while ago, how successful was it in fixin the yuts? The only reason for closing it was it needed to be redeveloped and the ministry was going in a new direction :ponder: .
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 pm

gotchya wrote:
T.M.DIESEL wrote:the exception was Camp Turnaround it was private and no Peace Officer status.

I drove by there a while ago, how successful was it in fixin the yuts? The only reason for closing it was it needed to be redeveloped and the ministry was going in a new direction :ponder: .

You mean "camp run-a-mock"... That disaster closed back in the late 90's

I was dispatched up there on their opening day... Y'know when the two kids escaped, stole a staff members van, drove it through the gate and took off... 'Captured later by the OPP.
Runciman and his croneys show up and have to step over the felled gate to get in... LOL

Ont. Corr. Officers spent a few weeks on overtime camped out on the perimeter in case they place went up....
The YO's from the MTWDC were begging to be taken back to "the West".. :mrgreen:

It eventually was closed as it was soon realized what a failure/embarrassment it was.
Financial improprieties and general mismangement ...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Run around it was, they also had some shingle hammers for weapons.

So what you are saying Bitter is that the phase 2 officers lost their peace officer status going over to the new comsoc.

And yes, it will all end up back in Corrections, some people just do not understand the ones in jail are pretty much fucked.