Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CX1020
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby CX1020 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 pm

I'm a federal CX and were hiring a bit right now if interested.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:59 am

CX1020 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 pm
I'm a federal CX and were hiring a bit right now if interested.
I know a lot of provincial Correctional officers applying for federal, mostly all casuals
I would do the same !
One thing I have learned from corrections. Wake up. Get ready. Come to work. Go home. Wait for pay. That’s it lol. No positive with the job
Correctional Officer, CO2

NYG88
Rookie Member

Postby NYG88 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 pm
NYG88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm
I was wondering if anybody could provide some information about the work situation at Vanier Women's Centre? I was offered a position for the facility. How are the hours and what is the work environment like? Thanks
Retirement Post. Take it.

Not sure about hours. But I know Maple, all the Ot you want.

Good luck and congratulations.
Thanks, I accepted the offer I was trying to get into Maple but they did not have any seats available.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm

NYG88 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:57 pm
Fonthill wrote:
NYG88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm
I was wondering if anybody could provide some information about the work situation at Vanier Women's Centre? I was offered a position for the facility. How are the hours and what is the work environment like? Thanks

Thanks, I accepted the offer I was trying to get into Maple but they did not have any seats available.
You are welcome. Just remember, show to work. Go home. And wait for pay. Don’t try and be a hero.
As a causal. Unless you pay into benefits you have nothing
If you get hurt on the job you are all on your own. WSIB, and sit for 3 months again without receiving a pay cheque
Every problem you have or want an issue dealt with. Call a SGT. Document the shit out of it. Trust me they might not like that, but that’s is there job in corrections.

timg87

Postby timg87 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm
NYG88 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

You are welcome. Just remember, show to work. Go home. And wait for pay. Don’t try and be a hero.
If you get hurt on the job you are all on your own. WSIB, and sit for 3 months again without receiving a pay cheque
Every problem you have or want an issue dealt with. Call a SGT. Document the shit out of it. Trust me they might not like that, but that’s is there job in corrections.
It's not quite that bad...lol corrections is a mess, as he said. come in...do your thing and go home....

if you get hurt during a code just be sure to be on them to submit all paperwork....keep in contact with your WSIB rep and just go through the hoops...ive seen some people have issues and ive seen others transition pretty seamlessly..kind of depends on your admin staff and a little bit of nudging along the way.

Always fill out an injury form if you feel off...you never know when something can circle back...especially with wrists...knees..backs...etc you don't want to fight an uphill battle of a reoccurring, none reported injury.

Outside agencies are just as bad i will say though....in some respects even worse.
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm

timg87 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am
Fonthill wrote:
NYG88 wrote:

It's not quite that bad...lol corrections is a mess, as he said. come in...do your thing and go home....

if you get hurt during a code just be sure to be on them to submit all paperwork....keep in contact with your WSIB rep and just go through the hoops...ive seen some people have issues and ive seen others transition pretty seamlessly..kind of depends on your admin staff and a little bit of nudging along the way.

Always fill out an injury form if you feel off...you never know when something can circle back...especially with wrists...knees..backs...etc you don't want to fight an uphill battle of a reoccurring, none reported injury.

Outside agencies are just as bad i will say though....in some respects even worse.
I’m happy to see you are out of Corrections. You added lives back to your self along with pride.

timg87

Postby timg87 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 am

Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm
timg87 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:
I’m happy to see you are out of Corrections. You added lives back to your self along with pride.
I don't know about that...the age old saying "the grass isn't always greener"....good and bad to all places..we just forget the perks (however small they may be)... we all have a tough job in this industry...regardless what uniform...much respect for everyone, i still pop in when I'm working in the area to visit and also have run into a few released inmates while in my other role.
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:26 am

timg87 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 am
Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm
timg87 wrote:

I don't know about that...the age old saying "the grass isn't always greener"....good and bad to all places..we just forget the perks (however small they may be)... we all have a tough job in this industry...regardless what uniform...much respect for everyone, i still pop in when I'm working in the area to visit and also have run into a few released inmates while in my other role.
Yeah, but the grass is always going to be way greener from a job other then corrections.

To be honest, I believe being in corrections doesn’t compare to a special Constable job.

Only thing better with being a special Constable is a way better union with higher pay

When I get out of corrections, I will never look back and will thank and be great full that people actually want to do a non positive job with ZERO award outcome