Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby A_C_P_91 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm
A_C_P_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 am
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum But I figured I can give a little insight to the senior staff talking to casuals. I started my career in Lindsay Ontario where there is plenty of seniority and you really had to earn your place because seniority meant everything there. If you worked hard and you didn’t give anybody any lip you got noticed and were welcomed to work any unit. Unfortunately I only was able to do six months there before I had to make a personal choice to move to Toronto again where I ended up working at Toronto south. There was an abundance of Staff with little to no experience whether it be in life or in this type of environment. There was also managers who fed off these officers with no time in. There were only a few of us who took the time to understand our policies and procedures and follow them so when a manager came around and tried to bully us we were able to push back. I learned that at Toronto south if you were able to stand up for yourself and seek guidance from the senior staff you would actually do quite well. Unfortunately my time and corrections is over after A very short two years but the amount of experience I gained within those two years working in high stress units Will serve me well in my new career. At the end of the day, respect your senior staff respect your peers with just as much or even less time in than you And remember you have to stick together
Well said !

Congratulations to you.

Is your new career better then the Crisis in corrections is.
Special constable brother

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm
A_C_P_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 am
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum But I figured I can give a little insight to the senior staff talking to casuals. I started my career in Lindsay Ontario where there is plenty of seniority and you really had to earn your place because seniority meant everything there. If you worked hard and you didn’t give anybody any lip you got noticed and were welcomed to work any unit. Unfortunately I only was able to do six months there before I had to make a personal choice to move to Toronto again where I ended up working at Toronto south. There was an abundance of Staff with little to no experience whether it be in life or in this type of environment. There was also managers who fed off these officers with no time in. There were only a few of us who took the time to understand our policies and procedures and follow them so when a manager came around and tried to bully us we were able to push back. I learned that at Toronto south if you were able to stand up for yourself and seek guidance from the senior staff you would actually do quite well. Unfortunately my time and corrections is over after A very short two years but the amount of experience I gained within those two years working in high stress units Will serve me well in my new career. At the end of the day, respect your senior staff respect your peers with just as much or even less time in than you And remember you have to stick together
Well said !

Congratulations to you.

Is your new career better then the Crisis in corrections is.
Special constable brother
Congratulations

Proud of you !

Unfortunately, the military needs to take over corrections before it gets any better
Correctional Officer, CO2

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm
Unfortunately, the military needs to take over corrections before it gets any better

Lol... Really?

From what I can remember the military is where I learned what the term "clusterfuck" really meant.
No, what corrections in Ontario needs is to step back and realize is that all the high priced help, the so called experts who received all their insight in a university lecture hall and who have never actually spoken to an offender... Have no business deciding how the system should be run.

It's not rocket appliances, but somehow these egg heads have infiltrated to such an extent that their ideas are being put into effect and NOTHING good is coming from it.

It's strange how some committee can take ONE 30 minute tour of an institution, speak to NO ONE other than senior admin. and then come back months later with a "report" that turns the whole place upside down.

My thoughts on it are that these people are just in it for the title, the fat pay cheque, their resume, the expense card and the catered in lunches. They don't really give a shit about offenders and they certainly don't care about the people that work with offenders.
They sincerely believe they know better despite never EVER actually working the system.

https://goo.gl/images/4pWRSV
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

AlwaysOnDuty
Rookie Member

Postby AlwaysOnDuty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 am

Bitterman wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm
They don't really give a shit about offenders and they certainly don't care about the people that work with offenders.
Couldn't agree more!
MCSCS | Ontario Correctional Services
Correctional Officer 2

redridinghood

Postby redridinghood » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

for anyone interested look up ezra lavant special on jail guard peeking out (youtube)

oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Postby oceanblue11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Just thought I should give two PSA's for prospective applicants seeing how they have more job postings up and I just finished the hiring process (and declined the offer in the end, because my current job pays only a few dollars less and I'm at the end of the CBSA hiring process)... First of all, stay on top of everything in the hiring process. Speaking from my own experience (and my partner and friends who were COs - who started training last January and have all moved onto policing now after a year or less in corrections) they can be very forgettable and even lose your paperwork (on the police and corrections side) so if something is taking a week or two longer than expected inquire about it right away. But more importantly, if your dream career is like policing or CBSA, prioritize that over corrections. Both are mass hiring right now, and both don't require previous law enforcement experience so if you're only applying to corrections for law enforcement experience (but have relevant education, work, or volunteer experience) then apply to the other agencies first. Correctional experience doesn't guarantee you any other law enforcement jobs, in fact a lot of COs can't even pass the necessary testings for them so keep in mind that the experience doesn't even guarantee so much as an interview. I'm not trying to talk down to COs either, I think if you are CO then you know firsthand that it's just a fact lol. Corrections is easy money on the odd chance that your coworkers actually like you and you don't mind having a sporadic schedule, but you're resented if you take the initiative to move up past the floor so take that into consideration if becoming a sergeant or higher is an aspiration of yours as well. I'm not saying that there aren't great people who are casuals or full-timers in corrections either, but everyone I know who has left corrections already for a more secure and higher paying policing job still regretted applying to corrections in the first place and leaving their other jobs for it. They all unanimously agreed that it's not the job that's the issue (i.e. dealing with inmates and the duties of the job) but it's the toxic/anti-teamwork environment that makes it just a big headache and waste of time. One thing I've also heard is that the smaller a jail is the better the work environment is, so maybe factor that into your decision as well if you're going to pursue this job. At larger jails even if you put a lot of effort into being respectful and eager to help, people can still find a reason to hate you. So don't be disheartened if you get in and you aren't well-liked either, it's not personal 99% of the time (they're usually just negative/anti-social). So keep your head up!
CBSA
- Applied 08/18
- CFSC/CRFSC 04/18 ✓
- OTEE - 39/40, 09/18 ✓
- Interview 11/18 ✓
- Psych 01/19 ✓
- PARE - 3:38, 02/19 ✓
- Security - submitted 01/19
- CAT III 3/19 ✓

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 pm

oceanblue11 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 pm
Just thought I should give two PSA's for prospective applicants seeing how they have more job postings up and I just finished the hiring process (and declined the offer in the end, because my current job pays only a few dollars less and I'm at the end of the CBSA hiring process)... First of all, stay on top of everything in the hiring process. Speaking from my own experience (and my partner and friends who were COs - who started training last January and have all moved onto policing now after a year or less in corrections) they can be very forgettable and even lose your paperwork (on the police and corrections side) so if something is taking a week or two longer than expected inquire about it right away. But more importantly, if your dream career is like policing or CBSA, prioritize that over corrections. Both are mass hiring right now, and both don't require previous law enforcement experience so if you're only applying to corrections for law enforcement experience (but have relevant education, work, or volunteer experience) then apply to the other agencies first. Correctional experience doesn't guarantee you any other law enforcement jobs, in fact a lot of COs can't even pass the necessary testings for them so keep in mind that the experience doesn't even guarantee so much as an interview. I'm not trying to talk down to COs either, I think if you are CO then you know firsthand that it's just a fact lol. Corrections is easy money on the odd chance that your coworkers actually like you and you don't mind having a sporadic schedule, but you're resented if you take the initiative to move up past the floor so take that into consideration if becoming a sergeant or higher is an aspiration of yours as well. I'm not saying that there aren't great people who are casuals or full-timers in corrections either, but everyone I know who has left corrections already for a more secure and higher paying policing job still regretted applying to corrections in the first place and leaving their other jobs for it. They all unanimously agreed that it's not the job that's the issue (i.e. dealing with inmates and the duties of the job) but it's the toxic/anti-teamwork environment that makes it just a big headache and waste of time. One thing I've also heard is that the smaller a jail is the better the work environment is, so maybe factor that into your decision as well if you're going to pursue this job. At larger jails even if you put a lot of effort into being respectful and eager to help, people can still find a reason to hate you. So don't be disheartened if you get in and you aren't well-liked either, it's not personal 99% of the time (they're usually just negative/anti-social). So keep your head up!
Spoken like someone who's never been a CO or a cop, or never even applied to be a cop. You would be a fool to think that having experience as a CO isn't valuable to a police application. The reason that more CO's haven't gone on to policing in the past is because they didn't try. The culture in jail is changing for new CO's. New CO's aren't afraid to talk openly about applying outside/leaving and everyone is very supportive, accepting and congratulatory for people moving on. And they're talking about moving on a lot more now because the job isn't getting any better and neither is the money.

Nobody in here should regret being a CO after putting in more than a few months of hard work on the floor. It may have been an inconvenience to your personal life, but it will open your eyes in a way that isn't quantifiable.

RobLobster
Rookie Member

Postby RobLobster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:47 pm

redridinghood wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm
for anyone interested look up ezra lavant special on jail guard peeking out (youtube)
Good interview, guy was obviously nervous but he hit on a lot of good points. It's really bad in the walls right now.

tony2000
Rookie Member

Postby tony2000 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know if recruitment is giving offers for Toronto East Detention Centre? I've been waitlisted since November, and have been in process for about 9-10 months now. My first choice was East.

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 pm

oceanblue11 wrote:
Honestly I hope people don't spend the time to read this. Corrections has so much experience in its own to provide a younger person who is looking to go into law enforcement. Yeah you can work at a mall for 20 bucks an hour or go make a career out of Corrections and spend 2 years on or less and go stand before a panel at a P/C interview and articulate how you worked a job that most cops would never do if they had the choice. This job was great while it lasted for me. I hit my point where I realized I learned what I needed to and moved on. Looking back I gained so much experience here and met some fantastic people.

MissA2189
Rookie Member

Postby MissA2189 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:19 pm

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 pm
oceanblue11 wrote:
Honestly I hope people don't spend the time to read this. Corrections has so much experience in its own to provide a younger person who is looking to go into law enforcement. Yeah you can work at a mall for 20 bucks an hour or go make a career out of Corrections and spend 2 years on or less and go stand before a panel at a P/C interview and articulate how you worked a job that most cops would never do if they had the choice. This job was great while it lasted for me. I hit my point where I realized I learned what I needed to and moved on. Looking back I gained so much experience here and met some fantastic people.
Great Point, A_C_P_91. Completely Agree!
Correctional Officer

OPP Application
Submitted: January 2019
File Number Assigned: January 2019
LFI: January 2019
Psych/Sigma: March 2019
BGI/Medical: March 2019
Home Interview: April 2019

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 am

oceanblue11 wrote:
No amount of LE experience will guarantee you job at a police services there have been guys that guy hired by the CBSA that I know that couldnt get into any police service. Corrections is a great experience for people who have no LE experience because you deal with the WORST of the worst on a daily basis. At my institution we lose guys to police services like crazy every 3 months (RCMP, Municipal, OPP) this job is all about what you make of it, if you want to be a lazy slob and sit in your chair all day and complain then that is all you are going to get. Plus the new 14.5% raise with retro pay isnt a bad addition to making corrections a bit better.
CO2

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am

Lospollos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 am
oceanblue11 wrote:
No amount of LE experience will guarantee you job at a police services there have been guys that guy hired by the CBSA that I know that couldnt get into any police service. Corrections is a great experience for people who have no LE experience because you deal with the WORST of the worst on a daily basis. At my institution we lose guys to police services like crazy every 3 months (RCMP, Municipal, OPP) this job is all about what you make of it, if you want to be a lazy slob and sit in your chair all day and complain then that is all you are going to get. Plus the new 14.5% raise with retro pay isnt a bad addition to making corrections a bit better.
Nothing wrong with being a lazy slob and collecting a pay cheque for a job that brings no positive back.
Being lazy and being a slob means you will be safe and you will go home at the end of your shift.

For people that are wanting to become a Correctional Officer. Top wage per year for a CO2 will be around 82 grand a year.
A causal will be after 5 years or so around 94 grand. That’s with your 14% after 5 years as causal you receive another 2% on top of the 14.

If anything, do it for the pay if nothing else !

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am
Lospollos wrote:
oceanblue11 wrote:
Nothing wrong with being a lazy slob and collecting a pay cheque for a job that brings no positive back.
Being lazy and being a slob means you will be safe and you will go home at the end of your shift.

For people that are wanting to become a Correctional Officer. Top wage per year for a CO2 will be around 82 grand a year.
A causal will be after 5 years or so around 94 grand. That’s with your 14% after 5 years as causal you receive another 2% on top of the 14.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it that is your own personal choice but like I said the job is what you make of it. Some want to make a paycheque others want to use it as a stepping stone (additionally a minority want to make a career).
CO2

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am
Lospollos wrote:

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it that is your own personal choice but like I said the job is what you make of it. Some want to make a paycheque others want to use it as a stepping stone (additionally a minority want to make a career).
And, it’s the right choice ! Lol.

If they want to make this a career, then there isn’t any room for opportunities to progress. That is what a career is.

Btw If people are not aware, we are The Ministry of the Solicitor General now. Not sure why, but I’m sure there was a plan for this.