Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 pm

rjwlewy wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:I appreciate the feedback guys, obviously I don't mean I wouldn't like to see changes happen, but not at the cost of a blemish in my personnel file either, I have goals beyond corrections that I can't afford to endanger either. So getting fired really isn't an option. What advice can you offer that's kind of a happy medium, id rather avoid getting assaulted, but I also don't wanted to be fired or reprimanded repeatedly either because I'll need to explain it someday and I'll need the supervisor references as well.



I don’t understand people. You haven’t even started COTA and your already stressing about getting fired and shit?...


Lol I have long term goals and I'm always Thinking how my decisions now effect them. It's less disastrous to learn from other people's experience and have that knowledge in preparation for whatever I'll experience. Some stress is healthy. Keeps you motivated and alert.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

ElectroMech
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby ElectroMech » Fri May 04, 2018 12:02 pm

JesseTDI wrote:
Lol I have long term goals and I'm always Thinking how my decisions now effect them. It's less disastrous to learn from other people's experience and have that knowledge in preparation for whatever I'll experience. Some stress is healthy. Keeps you motivated and alert.


+1

This.

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Fri May 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Reading through all.the policies and documents they sent us and man there is ALOT of material here. Is there really anyone who has a large understanding/memory of ALL of these statutes, legislation,.policies etc...? I'm noticing alot of repeated sentences and paragraphs document to document too.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

callofduty288
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby callofduty288 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:33 pm

JesseTDI wrote:Reading through all.the policies and documents they sent us and man there is ALOT of material here. Is there really anyone who has a large understanding/memory of ALL of these statutes, legislation,.policies etc...? I'm noticing alot of repeated sentences and paragraphs document to document too.


Most of it is common sense, however it is important that you read it at least once, it will be very useful when management orderers you to to something against policy or standing orders...

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm

callofduty288 wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:Reading through all.the policies and documents they sent us and man there is ALOT of material here. Is there really anyone who has a large understanding/memory of ALL of these statutes, legislation,.policies etc...? I'm noticing alot of repeated sentences and paragraphs document to document too.


Most of it is common sense, however it is important that you read it at least once, it will be very useful when management orderers you to to something against policy or standing orders...


I would advise to follow through the order if the order doesn’t put your safety in jeopardy Then grive it after.
And LAW trumps POLICY.

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

callofduty288 wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:Reading through all.the policies and documents they sent us and man there is ALOT of material here. Is there really anyone who has a large understanding/memory of ALL of these statutes, legislation,.policies etc...? I'm noticing alot of repeated sentences and paragraphs document to document too.


Most of it is common sense, however it is important that you read it at least once, it will be very useful when management orderers you to to something against policy or standing orders...


This was my interpretation too. Enough to say I read it all, study the material were tested on and touch back on the rest here and there for a refresher.

Fonthill wrote:
callofduty288 wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:Reading through all.the policies and documents they sent us and man there is ALOT of material here. Is there really anyone who has a large understanding/memory of ALL of these statutes, legislation,.policies etc...? I'm noticing alot of repeated sentences and paragraphs document to document too.


Most of it is common sense, however it is important that you read it at least once, it will be very useful when management orderers you to to something against policy or standing orders...


I would advise to follow through the order if the order doesn’t put your safety in jeopardy Then grive it after.
And LAW trumps POLICY.


I agree. Not a good idea to go making enemies on day 1. Do what you're told. Within reason.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Fri May 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Just get a study group and make Q-cards and I grantee you pass !

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Fri May 04, 2018 4:14 pm

The government at it’s finest!

https://t.co/jxCXHb8Geh?ssr=true

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

I've been thinking about attire for cota, how many dress shirts/pants do you all think I'll need? How does laundry facilities work there? And it says short sleeve button ups are acceptable, do alot of candidates wear short sleeves?
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

HopeToBeACO
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby HopeToBeACO » Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm

JesseTDI wrote:I've been thinking about attire for cota, how many dress shirts/pants do you all think I'll need? How does laundry facilities work there? And it says short sleeve button ups are acceptable, do alot of candidates wear short sleeves?


To base off your comment before, you don’t have to worry. I know as a starting recruit theres a lot of “what if’s”. Just act in good faith when doing your duties and have common sense and you will go a long way. Remember, that you are mostly working with hostile / uncooperative individuals. You will soon learn how important report writing is to you and your colleagues.

Acceptable clothes are mentioned in the details
Polo Collared T-shirts or dress shirts, dress pants or khakis (no cargos - side pockets) and dress shoes. As for laundry, it is available at any time for residents (includes an iron). How many you will need, bring all you got since you don’t want to be wearing the same clothes 5 days in a row....
Correctional Officer 1

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Sat May 05, 2018 4:29 pm

HopeToBeACO wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:I've been thinking about attire for cota, how many dress shirts/pants do you all think I'll need? How does laundry facilities work there? And it says short sleeve button ups are acceptable, do alot of candidates wear short sleeves?


To base off your comment before, you don’t have to worry. I know as a starting recruit theres a lot of “what if’s”. Just act in good faith when doing your duties and have common sense and you will go a long way. Remember, that you are mostly working with hostile / uncooperative individuals. You will soon learn how important report writing is to you and your colleagues.

Acceptable clothes are mentioned in the details
Polo Collared T-shirts or dress shirts, dress pants or khakis (no cargos - side pockets) and dress shoes. As for laundry, it is available at any time for residents (includes an iron). How many you will need, bring all you got since you don’t want to be wearing the same clothes 5 days in a row....


Hahahaha I have exactly 0 that currently fit. Which is why I asked how many need to go buy some new stuff. Any recommendations where?

And further to that, I'm fairly good at report writing in my opinion. Lots of experience. But, are they hand written or typed/computer based? Because my printing is trash and I hate it lol.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

rjwlewy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby rjwlewy » Sat May 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Bring 4-5 dress shirts and youll be fine. Hell you could even rock 3. Who cares if your wearing them more then once per week. Your not getting paid so why go out and buy more then needed. Youll have your uniform within 3-5 weeks. As for the report writing, they do it a certain format and theres no deviation from that. As for printing or typing... in COTA you will hand write EVERYTHING. One of your last exercises is like 8-10 page report that takes quite a while. Once you get to institution it depends. At TSDC everything is on computer.
Ontario Correctional Officer CO2

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Sat May 05, 2018 6:23 pm

rjwlewy wrote:Bring 4-5 dress shirts and youll be fine. Hell you could even rock 3. Who cares if your wearing them more then once per week. Your not getting paid so why go out and buy more then needed. Youll have your uniform within 3-5 weeks. As for the report writing, they do it a certain format and theres no deviation from that. As for printing or typing... in COTA you will hand write EVERYTHING. One of your last exercises is like 8-10 page report that takes quite a while. Once you get to institution it depends. At TSDC everything is on computer.


God damn that is going to suuuck lol. Thanks for the info.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Mon May 07, 2018 10:35 am

3 COs assaulted with tray of urine & feces thrown on them at #TSDC on May 4th. Thoughts of recovery to them. #CrisisInCorrections #Rule1EOGHS #SegReformNotWorking (May 04, 2018)


Officers injured breaking up large inmate fight at MHCC today. 1 officer broken wrist...bones heal it’s the mental scars we live with.... #crisisincorrections #strongertogether #HELP (May 06, 2018)

ElectroMech
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby ElectroMech » Mon May 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Fonthill wrote:3 COs assaulted with tray of urine & feces thrown on them at #TSDC on May 4th. Thoughts of recovery to them. #CrisisInCorrections #Rule1EOGHS #SegReformNotWorking (May 04, 2018)


Officers injured breaking up large inmate fight at MHCC today. 1 officer broken wrist...bones heal it’s the mental scars we live with.... #crisisincorrections #strongertogether #HELP (May 06, 2018)


Hey Fonthill, are there any shots that we should be getting? That just looks like hepC waiting to happen.

Do officers go home or to the hospital when they get feces or urine on them?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Bing [Bot], SemrushBot and 9 guests