Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
rjwlewy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby rjwlewy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 am

Yes there are issues with the ministry and job. But if your so unhappy and all you do is complain on the forum, have you tried applying to policing or something else? Just a thought
Ontario Correctional Officer CO2

User avatar
AlwaysOnDuty
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm
Location: North York, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby AlwaysOnDuty » Thu May 03, 2018 12:03 pm

1.5% is such an insult and spit in the face. The ministry knows we should be on par with CSC with a 20% raise... I know that would NEVER happen, but is 5% or ever 7.5% too much to ask for? With the way Wynne is throwing money around trying to buy votes, you'd think that some would come our way.

1.5%... That's how much confidence I have in this ministry and government.
SOLGEN | Ontario Correctional Services
Correctional Officer 2

User avatar
MC07
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby MC07 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:07 pm

AlwaysOnDuty wrote:1.5% is such an insult and spit in the face. The ministry knows we should be on par with CSC with a 20% raise... I know that would NEVER happen, but is 5% or ever 7.5% too much to ask for? With the way Wynne is throwing money around trying to buy votes, you'd think that some would come our way.

1.5%... That's how much confidence I have in this ministry and government.


The government would be secured in the media if they agreed to a 7.5% raise, never mind 20%, no way it will that just before an election.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

AlwaysOnDuty wrote:1.5% is such an insult and spit in the face. The ministry knows we should be on par with CSC with a 20% raise... I know that would NEVER happen, but is 5% or ever 7.5% too much to ask for? With the way Wynne is throwing money around trying to buy votes, you'd think that some would come our way.

1.5%... That's how much confidence I have in this ministry and government.


And a sergeant told me they are getting a 9 % raise! But ministry only wants to give 1.5% one time only to union officers.
And somebody on here why ask why am I so unhappy lol. I think that officer is drinking the ministry cool aid lmao

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

rjwlewy wrote:Yes there are issues with the ministry and job. But if your so unhappy and all you do is complain on the forum, have you tried applying to policing or something else? Just a thought


So you are happy with the un safe working conditions. Happy with the ongoing crisis in corrections ?
If your happy, don’t let anybody take that away from you. You come back to me after you been in a couple years and let’s see if you have the same answer

rjwlewy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby rjwlewy » Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 pm

I’m content at the moment but not oblivious to the unsafe work environment and negativity. All I’m stating is you guys constantly spew negativity on these forums. If your not happy and don’t see the job improving, why do you stay? Lots of other real law enforcement jobs out there.
Ontario Correctional Officer CO2

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Thu May 03, 2018 2:47 pm

rjwlewy wrote:I’m content at the moment but not oblivious to the unsafe work environment and negativity. All I’m stating is you guys constantly spew negativity on these forums. If your not happy and don’t see the job improving, why do you stay? Lots of other real law enforcement jobs out there.


I agree. You have the option to find other employment and choose a different career path. All you 2 or 3 do is shame everything about the job. Nevermind providing any actual advice to those of us coming in. How about you try helping instead of just complaining about it All? Or run for office and be the change you want to see.

I'd love do hear about how I can avoid getting hurt but it sounds like nobody what's to be any real help. Just a lot of woe is me.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

Ashtari
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Ashtari » Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm

JesseTDI wrote:I'd love do hear about how I can avoid getting hurt but it sounds like nobody what's to be any real help. Just a lot of woe is me.


A ton of woe is me. I'm currently a CO and I am happy with my job. Sure, i'd love a pay increase and we could absolutely benefit from a safer working environment.

But the world is your oyster.

If you're not happy, leave and find another job.

Or stay and complain about it on a forum where no one cares about your complaints. Simple as that.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Ashtari wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:I'd love do hear about how I can avoid getting hurt but it sounds like nobody what's to be any real help. Just a lot of woe is me.


A ton of woe is me. I'm currently a CO and I am happy with my job. Sure, i'd love a pay increase and we could absolutely benefit from a safer working environment.

But the world is your oyster.

If you're not happy, leave and find another job.

Or stay and complain about it on a forum where no one cares about your complaints. Simple as that.


I appreciate your feed back and knowledge your comment.

Don’t forgot, it is your right a rookie officer to fight for the rights of all our brother and sister past and present.
Senior officers have complained and fought for our rights as officer now in the present.
If you wanna be one of those hide outs. Or one of those officers that when a health and safety is started goes to a post fully knowing not to go there, but you do because you didn’t complain or stick up for your self. Go ahead.
Just remember, blue shirts before white shirts !

callofduty288
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby callofduty288 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Ashtari wrote:
JesseTDI wrote:I'd love do hear about how I can avoid getting hurt but it sounds like nobody what's to be any real help. Just a lot of woe is me.


Let me throw my 2 cents as a rookie officer..

If you don`t complain and suck it up, and go to your post when there is health & safety, when you get piss and shit thrown at you and come back the next day, when you let inmates stay out when system malfunctions, during codes, etc.. Then nothing's gonna change!!!

We will never get raise if we keep doing the job and follow management agenda of hugging inmates and giving them pizza..
Only thing will work if you stall the work, when staff keep calling sick and jail stays lockdown, initiate health & safety to stay lockdown, take WSIB packages for even minor thing to keep statistics up and raise insurance premiums for employer, we need to walk out everyday and protest against the conditions that we work in, MOL should come to jail everyday to tell us to go to work!

Personally, i like the job, I don`t walk around like miserable prick, i have no problem of taking a punch, as i have in my life. But doing that for 25$/hour and then being targeted by management where I screwed up or telling me that I targeted unfairly an inmate. Screw that! we gotta stand up for ourselves!!!

Fonthill
Seasoned Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Fonthill » Thu May 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Great post and true. I love the fight in you ! Only a pencil pushers would believe an inmate anyways.
Trust me, I don’t walk around a miserable prick also. Lol.
And advice for WSIB for new rookies on here. When you fill them out and let’s say you get fired. You can go back on them and get paid. Fill them out every chance you get.

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Bitterman » Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm

rjwlewy wrote:Yes there are issues with the ministry and job. But if your so unhappy and all you do is complain on the forum, have you tried applying to policing or something else? Just a thought


Some if us are too invested... and oddly some of us even hang on to the hope that things will improve rather than continue to spiral into caos...
I'm not "unhappy"... Hell, at this point of my career I'm friggin extactic. I'm at the stage where I don't have to do ANYTHING I don't want to... and I don't.

Let the youngsters have the fun... Been there done that got the tee shirt.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

JesseTDI
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby JesseTDI » Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 pm

I appreciate the feedback guys, obviously I don't mean I wouldn't like to see changes happen, but not at the cost of a blemish in my personnel file either, I have goals beyond corrections that I can't afford to endanger either. So getting fired really isn't an option. What advice can you offer that's kind of a happy medium, id rather avoid getting assaulted, but I also don't wanted to be fired or reprimanded repeatedly either because I'll need to explain it someday and I'll need the supervisor references as well.
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

callofduty288
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby callofduty288 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 pm

JesseTDI wrote:I appreciate the feedback guys, obviously I don't mean I wouldn't like to see changes happen, but not at the cost of a blemish in my personnel file either, I have goals beyond corrections that I can't afford to endanger either. So getting fired really isn't an option. What advice can you offer that's kind of a happy medium, id rather avoid getting assaulted, but I also don't wanted to be fired or reprimanded repeatedly either because I'll need to explain it someday and I'll need the supervisor references as well.


Be fair and pick your battles, do your job, if you can`t do (or don`t want to) do something, give them expression that you tried)) I`d say that should prevent you from personal assaults.

In terms of getting fired, put everything on paper, what inmate did, what sgts told you etc. Use your notebook for that, all your shifts and extensions, what you were ordered to do, etc. Don`t use for the purposes that they tell you in COTA..

In terms of stress and personal life, I`m guilty of it, i did have stress that I`ve never felt before, however I don`t work 14 days in a row anymore, the money I`ve got after taxes was not worth it..

rjwlewy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby rjwlewy » Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm

JesseTDI wrote:I appreciate the feedback guys, obviously I don't mean I wouldn't like to see changes happen, but not at the cost of a blemish in my personnel file either, I have goals beyond corrections that I can't afford to endanger either. So getting fired really isn't an option. What advice can you offer that's kind of a happy medium, id rather avoid getting assaulted, but I also don't wanted to be fired or reprimanded repeatedly either because I'll need to explain it someday and I'll need the supervisor references as well.



I don’t understand people. You haven’t even started COTA and your already stressing about getting fired and shit?...
Ontario Correctional Officer CO2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NV35, schrute.farms and 8 guests