Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
callofduty288
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby callofduty288 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 pm

you can have a beard if medical or religious purposes require you to.[/quote]

Alright thank you! so I would just show them my medical note for proof when I get up to hamilton? also would this affect being able to apply to ICIT later on?[/quote]

ICIT is voluntary and really... unless you meet all the requirements they don't have to take you.
On ICIT you are guaranteed to be exposed to chemical weapons.... You're going to want/need your resperator to fit.
If your facial hair interferes with said fit... your fucked[/quote]

As far as I`ve heard, nobody challenged it yet, and it was brought forward to regional ICIT coordinator. By law they have a duty to accommodate and not to discriminate based on medical condition or religion, however, what could happen is that they will say that you did not score high enough, or you will sign of liability from employer, that if you get exposed and get sick, then you`re on your own (which is not the brightest idea)

callofduty288
Rookie Member

Postby callofduty288 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Bitterman wrote:
callofduty288 wrote:Keep in mind that average life expectancy rate for CO`s and law enforcement is 55-60 and divorce rates are above 50%

Lol... How do we explain the 76 and 80 year old CO's still on the job

I hope that explains it...

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Please tell me you are being sarcastic...

KarhaKoha
Rookie Member

Postby KarhaKoha » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm currently in cota, if any of you guys in the June intake have any questions I can try and answer them the best I can.

ElectroMech
Rookie Member

Postby ElectroMech » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 am

Seems like a lot of the active posters got their call for the June 4th COTA.

Who else is still waiting for a call?

nessan.m96
Rookie Member

Postby nessan.m96 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 am

Thanks for the info on the beard question gents!

nessan.m96
Rookie Member

Postby nessan.m96 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 am

KarhaKoha wrote:I'm currently in cota, if any of you guys in the June intake have any questions I can try and answer them the best I can.

Whats the housing situation like? how is the food? healthy choices? also do they have a gym? thanks!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:50 am

TripleChev wrote:Please tell me you are being sarcastic...

Nope...
Manditory retirement was abolished back in 2003/2005 (?)
You can stay forever.
Some do.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

KarhaKoha
Rookie Member

Postby KarhaKoha » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm

nessan.m96 wrote:
KarhaKoha wrote:I'm currently in cota, if any of you guys in the June intake have any questions I can try and answer them the best I can.

Whats the housing situation like? how is the food? healthy choices? also do they have a gym? thanks!

Housing situation can be horrible if you don't get along with the people you live with. It's a "pod" with 10 private rooms, a common area, a bathroom with one toilet and two showers. The food so far has been mostly very good, they'll have a different thing for every meal, but a separate line with the same stuff everyday that is healthier (chicken breast, greens etc). The gym is not bad, but I was expecting better considering the job we are training to do.

Good luck!

RaptorFan
Rookie Member

Postby RaptorFan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm

KarhaKoha wrote:
nessan.m96 wrote:

Housing situation can be horrible if you don't get along with the people you live with. It's a "pod" with 10 private rooms, a common area, a bathroom with one toilet and two showers. The food so far has been mostly very good, they'll have a different thing for every meal, but a separate line with the same stuff everyday that is healthier (chicken breast, greens etc). The gym is not bad, but I was expecting better considering the job we are training to do.

Good luck!

I assume thats OPC. At Hamilton you have your own room with your own washroom and shower. Living conditions are great there and its a great time.

nessan.m96
Rookie Member

Postby nessan.m96 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:08 pm

I assume thats OPC. At Hamilton you have your own room with your own washroom and shower. Living conditions are great there and its a great time.[/quote]

I'll be doing my COTA in Hamilton, are visitors allowed on weekends? my gf may want to come up on weekends to see me haha.

Azhure
Rookie Member

Postby Azhure » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Afternoon,

Recently I received a letter from corrections stating that my background screening was denied and was told to contact the MGCS Transition and Security Office about the decision. I tried to contact them and received an automated response stating that I will be contacted in 3 business days. I have currently been waiting 2 weeks. I am unable to find any other contact for this department other than the e-mail I was provided.

The reason this is coming as a shock to me is that I applied for Military and my background was fine, I have never had any criminal record or anything of the like.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? If so, could you advise? What is a next step in this process?

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Azhure wrote:Afternoon,

Recently I received a letter from corrections stating that my background screening was denied and was told to contact the MGCS Transition and Security Office about the decision. I tried to contact them and received an automated response stating that I will be contacted in 3 business days. I have currently been waiting 2 weeks. I am unable to find any other contact for this department other than the e-mail I was provided.

The reason this is coming as a shock to me is that I applied for Military and my background was fine, I have never had any criminal record or anything of the like.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? If so, could you advise? What is a next step in this process?

Could be an issue of the paperwork you sent being done wrong or something along those lines. Did you send original copies?

Azhure
Rookie Member

Postby Azhure » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 am

A_C_P_91 wrote:

Could be an issue of the paperwork you sent being done wrong or something along those lines. Did you send original copies?

I sent in the original copies and there was an issue with the paperwork. However, that was later rectified.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:47 am

Fill out a request and ask for a blue letter ! Lol inside jk