Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Corrections/customs
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Corrections/customs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 pm

JoshG wrote:
Corrections/customs wrote:Im a current CO at Fort Frances Jail and I can assure you that you will get as many hours as you want. We are very short and our casuals are getting 40-60 very consistently. We are getting an expansion built on starting in May, and it is likely that it will lead to more full time roll overs, so it will only translate to more hours to cover.

How large will the expansion be? Coming from eastern Ontario, how is the area for finding living arrangements?

We are a small jail...the expansion will include a proper A&D area, with holding cells and then a breezeway with holding cells in there also. A much needed thing for us since we do not have a proper SAFE A&D and also nowhere to put anyone when problems arise. Living arrangements are around $1000/ month rent, but you can buy a decent house for cheaper monthly fee. Beautiful area of you like outdoors. Fort is a good experience because you will do all tasks, there is no dedicated A&D officers etc, all COs do all tasks. If you aren’t comfortable with inmate contact, don’t come here. We are in close proximity to our inmates at all times. It is an old facility and very tight quarters.
Applied: December 2016
Interview: March 22/17
Psych testing: April 10/17
Psych interview: April 11/17
PARE: May 11/17 and Feb 27/18
Clearances: April 20/17 and Jan 2018
Medical renewal: May 14/18
Security Interview: Nov 1/18
OITP: Jan 21
Rigaud:March 11

JoshG
Rookie Member

Postby JoshG » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Corrections/customs wrote:
JoshG wrote:
Corrections/customs wrote:Im a current CO at Fort Frances Jail and I can assure you that you will get as many hours as you want. We are very short and our casuals are getting 40-60 very consistently. We are getting an expansion built on starting in May, and it is likely that it will lead to more full time roll overs, so it will only translate to more hours to cover.

How large will the expansion be? Coming from eastern Ontario, how is the area for finding living arrangements?

We are a small jail...the expansion will include a proper A&D area, with holding cells and then a breezeway with holding cells in there also. A much needed thing for us since we do not have a proper SAFE A&D and also nowhere to put anyone when problems arise. Living arrangements are around $1000/ month rent, but you can buy a decent house for cheaper monthly fee. Beautiful area of you like outdoors. Fort is a good experience because you will do all tasks, there is no dedicated A&D officers etc, all COs do all tasks. If you aren’t comfortable with inmate contact, don’t come here. We are in close proximity to our inmates at all times. It is an old facility and very tight quarters.

I emailed CSRU back this afternoon and basically said I wanted to go to Fort Frances, but I needed to wait until June COTA in order to get a few things sorted out if I was going to be making such a far move. From my research Fort Frances looks like a beautiful town, if I get the news back I'm hoping for I should be seeing you in around 5 months. Thanks for the information.
Corrections Officer

Corrections/customs
Rookie Member

Postby Corrections/customs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm

We are a small jail...the expansion will include a proper A&D area, with holding cells and then a breezeway with holding cells in there also. A much needed thing for us since we do not have a proper SAFE A&D and also nowhere to put anyone when problems arise. Living arrangements are around $1000/ month rent, but you can buy a decent house for cheaper monthly fee. Beautiful area of you like outdoors. Fort is a good experience because you will do all tasks, there is no dedicated A&D officers etc, all COs do all tasks. If you aren’t comfortable with inmate contact, don’t come here. We are in close proximity to our inmates at all times. It is an old facility and very tight quarters.[/quote]
I emailed CSRU back this afternoon and basically said I wanted to go to Fort Frances, but I needed to wait until June COTA in order to get a few things sorted out if I was going to be making such a far move. From my research Fort Frances looks like a beautiful town, if I get the news back I'm hoping for I should be seeing you in around 5 months. Thanks for the information.[/quote]

That would be fantastic, we sure could use more! If you have any questions just let me know and I’ll help as much as I can.
Applied: December 2016
Interview: March 22/17
Psych testing: April 10/17
Psych interview: April 11/17
PARE: May 11/17 and Feb 27/18
Clearances: April 20/17 and Jan 2018
Medical renewal: May 14/18
Security Interview: Nov 1/18
OITP: Jan 21
Rigaud:March 11

RCMP37
Rookie Member

Postby RCMP37 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Anyone on here work at Sudbury Jail? I'm really considering going there. Any information would be great, hours, how long before a transfer would take after my initial year being there, how long on average to get full time/ permanent? Thanks

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:17 pm

RCMP37 wrote:Anyone on here work at Sudbury Jail? I'm really considering going there. Any information would be great, hours, how long before a transfer would take after my initial year being there, how long on average to get full time/ permanent? Thanks

You have to wait a minimum of one year before you can request a transfer also according to Bitterman and some other members the transfers aren't exactly easy nor guaranteed.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Lospollos wrote:
RCMP37 wrote:You have to wait a minimum of one year before you can request a transfer also according to Bitterman and some other members the transfers aren't exactly easy nor guaranteed.

Or... Come up with a creative, compelling reason you need a transfer.
Let your imagination run wild.

If indeed I ever did say people need to wait a year, I hereby retract the statement as from what I've seen lately all you gotta do is complain about your long commute.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

RCMP37
Rookie Member

Postby RCMP37 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Bitterman wrote:
Lospollos wrote:
RCMP37 wrote:You have to wait a minimum of one year before you can request a transfer also according to Bitterman and some other members the transfers aren't exactly easy nor guaranteed.

Or... Come up with a creative, compelling reason you need a transfer.
Let your imagination run wild.

If indeed I ever did say people need to wait a year, I hereby retract the statement as from what I've seen lately all you gotta do is complain about your long commute.

I guess I will be good then considering I would have a 4 1/2 hour commute....my wife doesnt want to move up there, coming home every so often wont be easy.

JesseTDI
Rookie Member

Postby JesseTDI » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 am

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone knows how many Lindsay is Getting from the March Intake and how many from the June? Hearing rumours but the source isn't exactly reliable.

Thanks!
CO
Written: Nov 6, 2017
Written Passed: Nov 15, 2017
FITCO: Oct 22, 2017
Interview: Nov 28, 2017
Interview Passed: Dec 1, 2017
Security Documents Sent: Dec 12, 2017
Security Documents Returned: Before Feb 15, 2018
COTA June 4, 2018 Offered April 24, 2018

robandsara28
Rookie Member

Postby robandsara28 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all,

First time poster. I am attending the COTA training in Hamilton on March 26th.

Does anyone have any idea how the pre-reading testing is going to be?

Thanks
Last edited by robandsara28 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robandsara28
Rookie Member

Postby robandsara28 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 pm

robandsara28 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks

It’s going to be as difficult as you want it to be.

Study = Pass
Unstudying = Fail

Good luck

robandsara28
Rookie Member

Postby robandsara28 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Fonthill wrote:

Thanks

Study = Pass
Unstudying = Fail

Good luck

Thank you fonthill. Been studying like crazy

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:52 am

robandsara28 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

Thanks

Study = Pass
Unstudying = Fail

It really wasn’t hard at all. It’s defintely something you need to review coming fresh into the program but for the majority of the program I never really studied with a background similar to Corrections. Most of this stuff is common sense. I’m not saying that I’m a stud or super cop but really it’s very hard to fail.
Good luck

Thank you fonthill. Been studying like crazy

RaptorFan
Rookie Member

Postby RaptorFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Once studying the whole package and answering the review questions as you go along, would focussing solely on the review questions suffice for adequate preparation?

robandsara28
Rookie Member

Postby robandsara28 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 am

[quote="A_C_P_91"][quote="robandsara28"][quote="Fonthill"][quote="robandsara28"]Hi all,

It really wasn’t hard at all. It’s defintely something you need to review coming fresh into the program but for the majority of the program I never really studied with a background similar to Corrections. Most of this stuff is common sense. I’m not saying that I’m a stud or super cop but really it’s very hard to fail.
Good luck

Thank you A_C_P_91 that helps