Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ygu31
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby ygu31 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am

Bitterman wrote:
facetha wrote:4984 applicants!
320~ of which will move on to the next stage of the process...

No surpise

I think any employer offering up decent paying jobs would have been flooded with applicants...

I imagine a significant number of the initial apps will be put aside due to a litany of reasons...

Inelligable people applying...
Shitty applications...
Glaring examples of ones unsuitability for the job..

I mean I once reviewed an applicants file where his résumé was written in pencil crayon and the only qualifications he mentioned had to do with his martial arts experience and how he'd never lost a street fight.

That one got passed around for a laugh, but that was it.

"Never lost a street fight", That applicant can be a model applicant for sure.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

Bitterman wrote:

No surpise

I think any employer offering up decent paying jobs would have been flooded with applicants...

I imagine a significant number of the initial apps will be put aside due to a litany of reasons...

Shitty applications...

I mean I once reviewed an applicants file where his résumé was written in pencil crayon and the only qualifications he mentioned had to do with his martial arts experience and how he'd never lost a street fight.

So that's why I never got a call.... :D

COFPC
Rookie Member

Postby COFPC » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:56 pm

tbell33 wrote:Posting closes tonight wonder when people will start hearing about testing?

Heard that "apparently" the class at the College is supposed to be in October as of now anyways!

The first batch of applicants will hear about invitations to orientation by Friday April 5.

tbell33 wrote:Since the recruitment isn't like the COSTART app anymore where you could choose more than (1) jail does anyone know are the exam results valid for any institution?

Example- Say you are selected for testing for TSDC and pass the exams but are not selected to go to training and another jail has a job competition open can your current exam results be used towards that application??

Competencty test results will be good for twelve months

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Bitterman wrote:

No surpise

Shitty applications...

You're not joking, are you?
K division.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

just for the hell of it, and if i'm not wrong, this is a:
6.42% chance of moving on to the next stage
1.8% chance of hire

:oops:

That is a large number of applications. Will be interesting how the process works itself out.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Bitterman wrote:

No surpise

Shitty applications...

As an inmate.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 am

Shawshank wrote:
Bitterman wrote:

Shitty applications...

You're not joking, are you?

No... Not at all.

I wouldn't let the numbers get y'down...
I remember reading somewhere a while ago that generally, there is often a significant # of initial apps that get shit canned right off the bat in any job recruiting process...
People will apply for jobs knowing full well they're ineligable... Perhaps hoping they'll slip by unnoticed (which now that i think about it is entirely possible with the Ministry of Correctional Services :mrgreen: )
Also... There are those who can't write a resume well enough... The recruiters aren't going to waste their time trying to decipher something thats difficult to read.
If my limited experience in the field is any indication... I bet 25% off the apps recieved are already destined for the shredder.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered I will say...
'Given that it's the Ontario Public Service... Anyone who fit's into any sort of "diversity" catagory will likely have an advantage.

'Good luck to anyone who applied... 'If we ever end up working in the same building... I take my coffee regular :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 am

Recruit13 wrote:

just for the hell of it, and if i'm not wrong, this is a:
6.42% chance of moving on to the next stage
1.8% chance of hire

:oops:

That is a large number of applications. Will be interesting how the process works itself out.

When I applied to MTO there was over 15,000 applications for 28 spots....I got one of them.

redridinghood
Rookie Member

Postby redridinghood » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 am

Bitterman wrote:'Good luck to anyone who applied... 'If we ever end up working in the same building... I take my coffee regular :mrgreen:

McDicks or Timmies? I'll even hold the spit ;)

Thanks for your input, it was very informative

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Bitterman wrote:You're not joking, are you?

No... Not at all.

I wouldn't let the numbers get y'down...
I remember reading somewhere a while ago that generally, there is often a significant # of initial apps that get shit canned right off the bat in any job recruiting process...
People will apply for jobs knowing full well they're ineligable... Perhaps hoping they'll slip by unnoticed (which now that i think about it is entirely possible with the Ministry of Correctional Services :mrgreen: )
Also... There are those who can't write a resume well enough... The recruiters aren't going to waste their time trying to decipher something thats difficult to read.
If my limited experience in the field is any indication... I bet 25% off the apps recieved are already destined for the shredder.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered I will say...
'Given that it's the Ontario Public Service... Anyone who fit's into any sort of "diversity" catagory will likely have an advantage.

'Good luck to anyone who applied... 'If we ever end up working in the same building... I take my coffee regular :mrgreen:[/quote]

When I applied with OC Transpo specials, we were told 1100 applied. 300 were automatically screened out because they were auto applies for anything with the city of Ottawa, or OC transpo and they were looking for accounting or mechanic etc jobs. From there, 280 were invited to write the test. Of that, 75 were interviewed for the eight spots. I assume the numbers would be the same here.
K division.

ACORD
Rookie Member

Postby ACORD » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 am

I'm not sure when it changed back, but both YSO's and PPO's have peace officer status while working. I can't speak for youth PO's as I know little about them. I would agree with you on YSO's and CO's having entirely different job sets, as well as PPO's and Youth PO's. I suggest anyone looking into either MCSCS or MCYS, to take a long look at the job descriptions and legislation that pertains to each job.

Bitterman wrote:
ACORD wrote:what do you mean when you say YW's are not considered peace officers the same way CO's are...

Just that... Perhaps it's changed, but I know that back in 2003(?) when the MCYS was created and took over those of us who stayed were stripped of said status. When restored to positions in the MCSCS we were re-sworn as peace officers.
It might not mean much day to day but having the peace officer label might come in handy against an offender who assaults you or tries to disarm you.
I also think it gives us some colour of authority and protection while performing our duties... I mean how many jobs out there require you to strip search people, use force upon people and order them to do stuff...and when they don't do what you say you can charge them under an act and impose penalties...?

In Ontario... At least up until 2002 not even Probation and Parole officers had peace officer status... I know the POAO drafted a paper on it back then arguing for such status to be reinstated, but alas I don't recall if it ever came to be.
IIRC Ontario P&P officers had their status as peace officers taken away in 1979... Can't remember why though...

Cambli
Rookie Member

Postby Cambli » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Bitterman wrote:

No surpise

Shitty applications...

BAHAHAHHAAAA! My wife and I just lost it to that one......My God. :crazy:

AppleCare
Rookie Member

Postby AppleCare » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 am

Last edited by AppleCare on Thu May 08, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:53 pm

AppleCare wrote:
COFPC wrote:
tbell33 wrote:Posting closes tonight wonder when people will start hearing about testing?

Heard that "apparently" the class at the College is supposed to be in October as of now anyways!

The first batch of applicants will hear about invitations to orientation by Friday April 5.

tbell33 wrote:Since the recruitment isn't like the COSTART app anymore where you could choose more than (1) jail does anyone know are the exam results valid for any institution?

Example- Say you are selected for testing for TSDC and pass the exams but are not selected to go to training and another jail has a job competition open can your current exam results be used towards that application??

Competencty test results will be good for twelve months

First batch by April 5th? That is quick!

Perhaps it's for current staff relocating to TSDC? or testing for the current process?

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 am

I think it'll be for new applicants. Makes sense to hear back by April 5th in regards to an orientation/testing date as training at the College is apparently slated for October.
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"