Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Apollo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsgray07
Rookie Member

Postby jsgray07 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 am

Good example 'Apollo',

Something that I've noticed.... any law enforcement/emergency service recruitments will post there minimum standards. From what I've noticed over the years is that when they advertise a recruitment process, the minimum requirements to apply are simply that. After that comes testing as part of their screening process ( a chance to weed people out). From there they are hiring a person, life experience and someone who has been faced with challenges similar to those faced on the job you are applying for. Everyone brings there own skills to the table. Men, women, University/college/high school grads can all have a variety of skills adopted over their years that are relevant to the position you are applying too.

Take some time to reflect on your own personal experiences and how they relate to your career choice. Common sense, life experience and a strong moral compass is a good foundation come interview time. Hope this helps a little.

*** common sense isn't so common.

Feel free to comment if I'm inaccurate with my observations over the years. Best of luck too all (me included).

COFPC
Rookie Member

Postby COFPC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 am

Recruit13 wrote:Put in my application for Ontario corrections at the Toronto South Detention Facility.

Does anyone who is Ontario Corrections know if the location you live from might effect your application? Because right now I live in the Niagara region, would they overlook me if they have hundreds or thousands of applications from the Toronto, GTA (closer than Niagara) region?

Where you live (address on application) does not impact on your standing in the recruitment process.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you very much.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

jsgray07 wrote:Good example 'Apollo',

Something that I've noticed.... any law enforcement/emergency service recruitments will post there minimum standards. From what I've noticed over the years is that when they advertise a recruitment process, the minimum requirements to apply are simply that. After that comes testing as part of their screening process ( a chance to weed people out). From there they are hiring a person, life experience and someone who has been faced with challenges similar to those faced on the job you are applying for. Everyone brings there own skills to the table. Men, women, University/college/high school grads can all have a variety of skills adopted over their years that are relevant to the position you are applying too.

Take some time to reflect on your own personal experiences and how they relate to your career choice. Common sense, life experience and a strong moral compass is a good foundation come interview time. Hope this helps a little.

*** common sense isn't so common.

Feel free to comment if I'm inaccurate with my observations over the years. Best of luck too all (me included).

+1 :thumbsup:

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 pm

COFPC wrote:Where you live (address on application) does not impact on your standing in the recruitment process.

It may matter though once you're hired and then wish to apply for a posted opportunity somewhere other than where you're at.

Many, if not all internal postings include the disclaimer that goes something like...

"Open to applicates either working at or living within "X" km of bla, bla, bla"

For years it was a 40km radius... I think its been opened up because really.... Lots of people live further tha 40km from work these days.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Bitterman wrote:
COFPC wrote:Where you live (address on application) does not impact on your standing in the recruitment process.

It may matter though once you're hired and then wish to apply for a posted opportunity somewhere other than where you're at.

Many, if not all internal postings include the disclaimer that goes something like...

"Open to applicates either working at or living within "X" km of bla, bla, bla"

For years it was a 40km radius... I think its been opened up because really.... Lots of people live further tha 40km from work these days.

Thanks you bring up a good point. I don't see myself living in Niagara if I got offered a position at Toronto South, I would have to move closer.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 pm

How many applicants do you think are going to be competing for these 70 spots?

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben1991
Rookie Member

Postby ben1991 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 pm

2000+ you serious? I have no chance of getting considered lol

fromhell
Rookie Member

Postby fromhell » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

facetha wrote:FYI Youth Service Officer hiring

http://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch/job ... ign=Indeed

LE types need not apply.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Apollo wrote:I wonder if you can be both a correctional officer and youth services officer at the same time? Or would that be a conflict? I wonder if you can hold two public service jobs at the same time. Just curious.

Interestingly there run by different ministries... i thought community safety & cor services ran both.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Theyre yet completely different.

IIRC "youth workers" are not considered peace officers the same way correctional officers are...

YW's do go through our college but its a different program/training course than for co's

I wouldn't go YO for love nor money... Been there done that. It is the suck
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...