Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
tbell33
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby tbell33 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 am

Anyone that is looking for info on what the FITCO entails.

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/stellent ... 162505.pdf
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Apollo wrote:Theyll scoop you up if you jump through the hoops. No laterals. I wouldnt advise it though pal. Dont do corrections part time. Stay away from it and enjoy yor retirement. You dont need the headaches after all your years of service.

I've worked with several former police officers... Most liked it 'cause well.. They had their heads on straight and really... It's easier and theres LESS bullshit than policing. :mrgreen:

Who know's..? It might be ideal for you depending on how earnings will affect your pension(s)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

THE ONE

Postby THE ONE » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:07 am

bunnel wrote:
Apollo wrote:Top rate is 32.64/hr right now as per new contract.

How come the Ontario jobs posting that came out today shows the top rate at 27.40?? I'm not arguing with what you're saying...just wondering why the difference?

What are the chances they might hire a 50-something (soon to be) retired cop?

Bunnel

Like Apollo said...enjoy your retirement, you deserve it. As well the $27.40 is the top rate of CO1 as and the bottom rate for CO2.
"One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful." - Sun Tzu

“You can beat the rap but you can’t beat the ride.”

d73
Rookie Member

Postby d73 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am

I was e-mailed direct from someone in corrections telling me Toronto south was hiring. So I looked and part time contract ?? This worries me, first I have to pay for training, and then to just be contract ??
I have a secure job right now, been here 15 years. But Have been religiously been checking the website for corrections for 8 months. And now that they are hiring, its a lot for me to give up for a "maybe part time contract" . Any advice ???? I will also have to commute from Guelph to TO. Which if it was perminant I would be ok with . If I am hired for contract, one day I could walk in and have no job ?? like sorry we don't need you now ?? Im confused !! :(( :crazy:

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 pm

d73 wrote:I was e-mailed direct from someone in corrections telling me Toronto south was hiring. So I looked and part time contract ?? This worries me, first I have to pay for training, and then to just be contract ??
I have a secure job right now, been here 15 years. But Have been religiously been checking the website for corrections for 8 months. And now that they are hiring, its a lot for me to give up for a "maybe part time contract" . Any advice ???? I will also have to commute from Guelph to TO. Which if it was perminant I would be ok with . If I am hired for contract, one day I could walk in and have no job ?? like sorry we don't need you now ?? Im confused !! :(( :crazy:

It is like this in Manitoba as well for Corrections except we don't have to pay for the training, just not get paid during it. Except for those living in Mom's basement it sucked for everyone but everyone wanted the job enough to take the risk. If ON is like MB then no one, except a major screw up case of an officer, is not renewed and eventually all roll into a permanent position.

The above is my nice way of saying if you want the job enough you'll take the chance.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

THE ONE wrote:
bunnel wrote:
Apollo wrote:Top rate is 32.64/hr right now as per new contract.

How come the Ontario jobs posting that came out today shows the top rate at 27.40?? I'm not arguing with what you're saying...just wondering why the difference?

What are the chances they might hire a 50-something (soon to be) retired cop?

Bunnel

Like Apollo said...enjoy your retirement, you deserve it. As well the $27.40 is the top rate of CO1 as and the bottom rate for CO2.

I appreciate all of the replies....definetly looking forward to retirement but would like a part time gig to keep me in the lifestyle I've grown accustomed to, lol! Am still a couple years out but am starting to think about options.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 pm

d73 wrote:I was e-mailed direct from someone in corrections telling me Toronto south was hiring. So I looked and part time contract ?? This worries me, first I have to pay for training, and then to just be contract ??

In 23 years I have never seen a contract not renewed... Except for two.
Both cases involved extreme misconduct.
So in practical terms just because you're on contract doesn't really mean your job is hanging by a thread all the time.
In fact... Depending on where you work some would argue that contract employees are better off than the full timers :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

d73
Rookie Member

Postby d73 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Well good to know. Thanks for the input :) :D

otwobjj
Rookie Member

Postby otwobjj » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I am putting my application together to apply to the post expiring on March 21.

It feels like a good time to apply since there needing lots of people, hopefully ill get in and join you guys.

for all the other people applying to this posting as well, good luck!

fromhell
Rookie Member

Postby fromhell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah I waited all this time too. I rather stay where I am than jump through hoops I gotta pay for.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:15 am

So... What are they charging for guard school..?
If its only $1000 ....
You'll earn more than that your first week and its tax deductible too. So... Not really a big deal.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

otwobjj
Rookie Member

Postby otwobjj » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:46 am

Bitterman wrote:So... What are they charging for guard school..?
If its only $1000 ....
You'll earn more than that your first week and its tax deductible too. So... Not really a big deal.

Its 2k, but still a small price to pay IMO.

ben1991
Rookie Member

Postby ben1991 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 am

Do meeting the requirements stated really get you considered? seriously? its sound to easy lol

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:44 am

Ya paying for training sucks especially when you're not getting paid for it, but you technically get paid for it after with a CAREER!

Also if the cost is too expensive and/or inconvenient the Ministry has said there is a thing called COSAP (Correctional Officer Student assistance program) just the same as the applicants that had to get OSAP for college/university.

I personally think it is worth it if Corrections is really what you want and it prevents you from having to move across the Country for the same career!!

Best of luck to everyone applying!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 am

Put in my application for Ontario corrections at the Toronto South Detention Facility.

Does anyone who is Ontario Corrections know if the location you live from might effect your application? Because right now I live in the Niagara region, would they overlook me if they have hundreds or thousands of applications from the Toronto, GTA (closer than Niagara) region?