Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Bruffy

Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Bruffy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Just speculating; but, since CSC has been hiring like crazy there could be potential openings within the provincial system. Anyone here know if the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is recruitting lately? Any provincially employed Correctional Officers on here?
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Lots of hiring and lots of CO's around here but do yourself a favour and use the search function. ;)
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Bruffy

Postby Bruffy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Lots of hiring and lots of CO's around here but do yourself a favour and use the search function. ;)
Tried the search function thingy; but, most of the board is regarding the federal system. It kills me to see people on here that don't know the difference between what system they applied for (federal/provincial). Yet they have been scheduled for an interview or test. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to incorporate it into my everyday life, :thumbsup:
Thanks.

ba2llb

Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Postby ba2llb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Bruffy wrote:Just speculating; but, since CSC has been hiring like crazy there could be potential openings within the provincial system. Anyone here know if the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is recruitting lately? Any provincially employed Correctional Officers on here?
One thing to keep in mind about the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is the statement that new correctional officers start out on contract with up to 40 hours per week during the contract. In other words, in Ontario provincial prisons and detention centres you are normally a term employee rather than permanent full-time at the beginning of your career. As to whether there could be potential openings within the provincial system in light of the on-going recruitment campaign by Correctional Services of Canada the two situations have no definitive correlation.
Contacted CSC RHQ 16 Feb 2009 (Alberta)
Mandatory Information Session 25 Feb 2009 (Halifax, NS)
Application 28 Feb 2009 (updated application 08 Mar 2009)
First Aid & CPR 'C' w/AED 01 Mar 2009

MCSCS Application 01 Apr 2009 (Ontario)

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/ ... d_rem.html

And if I am not mistaken they posted a bunch specifically for the Sault and Brampton, although they may have been for OPS employees only.

Some for the YO side, guessing the Adult side is not posting the same way.

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=16192
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

beerbaron105
Veteran Member

Postby beerbaron105 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Provincial CO here, yes they are hiring, and yes they are hiring....VERY SLOWLY

took me a year and a half to get in, and many people were around the same, apparently there is quite the application list

Bruffy

Postby Bruffy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:13 am

beerbaron105 wrote:Provincial CO here, yes they are hiring, and yes they are hiring....VERY SLOWLY

took me a year and a half to get in, and many people were around the same, apparently there is quite the application list
Beerbaron105,
When you say a year and a half, is that for an unclassified employee status or full time status?
Do you get any overtime whatsoever?
What is the training college like regarding sleeping quarters, amenities, food?

The START pamphlet states an unclassified employee is hired on a contract basis for up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:21 am

They hire slowly because MCS is a dumping ground for other provincial ministries with their problem child employees.

A lot of the COSTART positions go to these employees and through transfers before the general public. Its a benefit of OPSEU.

I did four years at the Don and the applicants that were coming through towards my end time there were very pitiful. They are hired through community programs and grass root style programs. Criminal records are not a deterent for CO positions.

Get in, get out. Get your experience and leave before the five year mark. I do not know of any CO longer that 8 - 10 years service who was successful as a PC applicant.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:35 am

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:40 am

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ba2llb

Postby ba2llb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:19 am

TorontoCopper wrote:They hire slowly because MCS is a dumping ground for other provincial ministries with their problem child employees.
This is a systemic problem within all governments; problem child employees tend to drive good people away from public service and represent the worst possible image to the public they are supposed to be serving. It is time the term 'public servant' came back into the vocabulary and mindset of those working in the public sector.

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:30 pm

I tend to not agree, the Ministry I am now with is excellent and cares about its employees, therefore they are much happier and engaged. It does not matter where you go, there are always going to be employees that are more challenging than others, it is called human nature.

The dumping of employees into corrections is a newer thing and they are mostly employees who have lost their jobs in other Ministries and are re-trained for Corrections from what I hear.

ba2llb

Postby ba2llb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:I tend to not agree, the Ministry I am now with is excellent and cares about its employees, therefore they are much happier and engaged. It does not matter where you go, there are always going to be employees that are more challenging than others, it is called human nature.
Given the inherently stressful nature of correctional services the presence of trouble-making employees is an unnecessary burden. A happy and engaged workforce makes for a pleasant workplace and career for everyone.
T.M.DIESEL wrote:The dumping of employees into corrections is a newer thing and they are mostly employees who have lost their jobs in other Ministries and are re-trained for Corrections from what I hear.
In your experience and opinion does this practice dilute the quality of personnel working in the provincial corrections system?

T.M.DIESEL
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Well I would not go too far with the happy and engaged thing, a tad tocuhy, feely for me.

Just like anything esle, you get good workers and you get bad workers, does not really matter where they came from or how they got there.