Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fenceline
Seasoned Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby fenceline » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

actrelentless wrote:Question regarding vision... my idea is to apply before going through with laser eye surgery and see if they would accept me (pending successful surgery).

I dont want to go through with the operation unless I am accepted into the force - or at least well on my way into the process.

Any thoughts on this? Is this even possible?

They won't accept you unless the surgery is...
a) Successful
b) Completed

I don't know if they still have the wait period after the surgery to ensure that it was successful. When I applied it was a year wait after the surgery, but I've heard of much less now between surgery and when they will consider you. It may be none now. You'd still have to get it first before they'd take you. Don't expect to get hired and get a week off in the middle of classes to get surgery done. They aren't going to spend money on you if they aren't sure you will be able to see.

As a person who has had the surgery, I would suggest getting it. An incredible procedure that you don't even realize the benefits of until you have it done.
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CalgaryGirl
Rookie Member

Postby CalgaryGirl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 pm

fenceline wrote:
actrelentless wrote:Question regarding vision... my idea is to apply before going through with laser eye surgery and see if they would accept me (pending successful surgery).

I dont want to go through with the operation unless I am accepted into the force - or at least well on my way into the process.

a) Successful
b) Completed

I don't know if they still have the wait period after the surgery to ensure that it was successful. When I applied it was a year wait after the surgery, but I've heard of much less now between surgery and when they will consider you. It may be none now. You'd still have to get it first before they'd take you. Don't expect to get hired and get a week off in the middle of classes to get surgery done. They aren't going to spend money on you if they aren't sure you will be able to see.

As a person who has had the surgery, I would suggest getting it. An incredible procedure that you don't even realize the benefits of until you have it done.

At the information session I attended in November I was told that they will accept an application from someone requiring surgery so long as a letter was included from the optometrist stating that they would be a good candidate for the surgery. If a conditional job offer was given the surgery would be one of the conditions needing to be met prior to starting training. I believe the waiting period is now either three or six months.
CPS Application Submitted - July 2, 2010

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 pm

CalgaryGirl wrote: If a conditional job offer was given the surgery would be one of the conditions needing to be met prior to starting training.

That is what I meant right there, a little clearer though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

actrelentless
Rookie Member

Postby actrelentless » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:39 pm

CalgaryGirl wrote:
fenceline wrote:

a) Successful
b) Completed

At the information session I attended in November I was told that they will accept an application from someone requiring surgery so long as a letter was included from the optometrist stating that they would be a good candidate for the surgery. If a conditional job offer was given the surgery would be one of the conditions needing to be met prior to starting training. I believe the waiting period is now either three or six months.

Thanks, I remember hearing this a few years ago. Wasnt sure if it was the case still.

I've visited 3 laser surgeons in Calgary, and I'm an ideal candidate for this surgery (and its not something they just say to everyone).

CPS007
Rookie Member

Postby CPS007 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 am

I see that there are some female applicants on here...I'm a PW with CPS. If you guys have any questions at all..PM me. I'd be happy to help out. Always great to see more females applying!
"~Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf~"- George Orwell
Vigilance~ Courage~ Pride

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Quick question in regards to the Vision Paperwork for a person who has had eye surgery (2 years previous).

There are 2 documents that need to be filled out. The Supplemental Vision Report as well as the Vision Report. Can both of these be done by a local Optometrist or does the surgeon who did my eye surgery need to fill one of these out? I had my surgery done at Dr. Mitchell's in Calgary but I'm living in Lethbridge and need to book appointments right away, just want to know if I should be booking two or just one.

Thanks!

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

AltaBSO wrote:Quick question in regards to the Vision Paperwork for a person who has had eye surgery (2 years previous).

There are 2 documents that need to be filled out. The Supplemental Vision Report as well as the Vision Report. Can both of these be done by a local Optometrist or does the surgeon who did my eye surgery need to fill one of these out? I had my surgery done at Dr. Mitchell's in Calgary but I'm living in Lethbridge and need to book appointments right away, just want to know if I should be booking two or just one.

Thanks!

Should probably call recruiting and ask that of them. That is something I wouldn't want to leave to guess work here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm

That was my thinking as well....I'll most likely do that tomorrow instead of guessing...lol.

I MAY hit up a Recruiting session if I can get to town sometime in March....gotta check the work schedule first!

calgarylass
Rookie Member

Postby calgarylass » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Sounds like there might be one more training class happening this year in Calgary..........I hear they are looking at having April, SEpt and the possibility of Nov also........ :alright:
APCAT/CAT written 2007
CPS Application 2010/03/01
APREP Complete
Panel complete
Psych complete
File moves to backgrounding
POLY complete...phew
APREP Complete AGAIN
Waiting...........

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:44 pm

calgarylass wrote:Sounds like there might be one more training class happening this year in Calgary..........I hear they are looking at having April, SEpt and the possibility of Nov also........ :alright:

I am REALLY hoping that they run one extra this year.....that would be sweet!

calgarylass
Rookie Member

Postby calgarylass » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:48 pm

AltaBSO wrote:
calgarylass wrote:Sounds like there might be one more training class happening this year in Calgary..........I hear they are looking at having April, SEpt and the possibility of Nov also........ :alright:

I am REALLY hoping that they run one extra this year.....that would be sweet!

Me too - fingers crossed for us all..........just have to play the waiting game :rant:
APCAT/CAT written 2007
CPS Application 2010/03/01
APREP Complete
Panel complete
Psych complete
File moves to backgrounding
POLY complete...phew
APREP Complete AGAIN
Waiting...........

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

AltaBSO wrote:Quick question in regards to the Vision Paperwork for a person who has had eye surgery (2 years previous).

Thanks!

Just wanted to follow up on this for anyone interested. I talked with Recruiting yesterday and they said that any Optometrist/Opthamologist could do the Vision Report and the Supplementary Vision Report as long as they met certain requirement for Night Vision Testing. CPS has a list of people who can perform the Night Vision test and I just booked an exam with one of the ones off the list.

Getting close!! I unfortunatly need to wait 21 days in between two seperate exams! Uggh...

Candice_247
Rookie Member

Postby Candice_247 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 am

Is there a policy regarding tattoos in Calgary? I called recruiting today and was told they take it with a grain of salt and it depends on placement and style. So...... for clarification, no policy?

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Candice_247 wrote:Is there a policy regarding tattoos in Calgary? I called recruiting today and was told they take it with a grain of salt and it depends on placement and style. So...... for clarification, no policy?
It all depends on the kind of tattoo. I had a partner who had both his sleeves done.. they weren't of naked women or of swastikas so no one seemed to have a problem with them. I think the policy says basically what the told you.
I would say that neck/face tattoos aren't looked upon as a good thing though.
I personally think it looks pretty unprofessional having tattoos visible while in uniform. I have tattoos but none that are visible while working.

Candice_247
Rookie Member

Postby Candice_247 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks RJB!