Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby RJB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:15 am

AltaBSO wrote:How long ago did CPS drop the requirement in your initial application package to have the First-Aid certificate, the Health Report, etc?
Some time last year.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 am

"I was just in recruiting a little while ago as I help doing the panel interviews with applicants."

RJB, I have a question for you. As a Calgarian who is a non-applicant, I am curious as to your sense (as an experienced officer) of the overall quality of applicants for CPS.
"Semper in faecibus, sumus sole profundum variat"

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Bruce wrote:"I was just in recruiting a little while ago as I help doing the panel interviews with applicants."

RJB, I have a question for you. As a Calgarian who is a non-applicant, I am curious as to your sense (as an experienced officer) of the overall quality of applicants for CPS.
Quality is pretty good I think. They seem to hire a bit older than the RCMP was when I was in it.. not a constant flood of 19 year olds.
That being said there are some who make you wonder how they made it through the process and through classes.

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am

I am really interested to see numbers of ppl applying this year with the lack of classes. I am putting the finishing touches on my application right now and need to wait until the end of Feb to get my vision stuff done (away out east for training for a month) and then will have it submitted by March 15th at the latest. I'm REALLY hoping this will put me in a good place for Nov class and I'm guessing it should....

RJB, whats your guess on average age getting hired these days? I'm 28 and figure I should be in a pretty good spot for mix of experience, age, training, etc. Would you say thats about an 'average' age or would you say 24-25 is more of an average?

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:40 pm

AltaBSO wrote:I am really interested to see numbers of ppl applying this year with the lack of classes. I am putting the finishing touches on my application right now and need to wait until the end of Feb to get my vision stuff done (away out east for training for a month) and then will have it submitted by March 15th at the latest. I'm REALLY hoping this will put me in a good place for Nov class and I'm guessing it should....

RJB, whats your guess on average age getting hired these days? I'm 28 and figure I should be in a pretty good spot for mix of experience, age, training, etc. Would you say thats about an 'average' age or would you say 24-25 is more of an average?
Just from the folks I have seen come out in the past 2 years I would say it is around 24-25 yeah. Get some that are 40 and some that are 21.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:17 pm

I have received a few PMs about pay.. so here is the pay scale for CPS for this year..

5th Class Constable - 1st Year - $54,155.28
4th Class Constable - 2nd Year - $60,820.56
3rd Class Constable - 3rd Year - $70,818.56
2nd Class Constable - 4th Year - $77,483.64
1st Class Constable - 5th Year - $83,315.76

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm

RJB wrote:I have received a few PMs about pay.. so here is the pay scale for CPS for this year..

In many cases previous POLICE experience, regardless of country, are also accepted as time served. Several current officers with time in the UK and US have been credited with time served in their previous agencies.
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:54 pm

fenceline wrote:
RJB wrote:I have received a few PMs about pay.. so here is the pay scale for CPS for this year..

In many cases previous POLICE experience, regardless of country, are also accepted as time served. Several current officers with time in the UK and US have been credited with time served in their previous agencies.
Yeah I started at 2nd Class for having 3.5 years on before.

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:43 pm

RJB wrote:
fenceline wrote:

Yeah I started at 2nd Class for having 3.5 years on before.

It also applies to Senior Cst levels 1 and 2 (read 8 and 11 year members). I don't have the pay scale for those levels, and they are not automatic. Officers must apply and write a test, similiar to a promotional advancement within a rank.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

calgarylass
Rookie Member

Postby calgarylass » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:44 pm

RJB wrote:I was talking to a friend in classes right now and this year there are only 2 classes with firm start dates for 2010. One starts in March and the other in November.

The recruiting process has changed this year as they do block interviews and such.. but last year it was between 3-6 months I'd say for an applicant. But that was with 6 classes a year going through.

I ran the APREP orientation in Dec and talked to a file manager then who said that everyone who applies before March 1, 2010, will be in line for the Nov 2010 class if successful. Everyone who applies after March 1 will be looking at recruit class in 2011 at some point. At that time it was all a little unknown. But then they have stated that they are hiring 75 applicants this year, so that could be people who get assisnged to 2011 classes.

I know someone who got onto the April 2010 class and she said her application too 9 1/2 months to process, then she has to wait 7 months to get into class and she was up against 1400 other applicants! 88)

You need to run the APREP at the start of the process, so right after APCAT/CAT testing - again which you will be given a date for.

The First Aid was removed around 2 years ago as I applied at that time after having completed my First Aid and was told it wasnt a requirement.

Hope this helps!
APCAT/CAT written 2007
CPS Application 2010/03/01
APREP Complete
Panel complete
Psych complete
File moves to backgrounding
POLY complete...phew
APREP Complete AGAIN
Waiting...........

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm

fenceline wrote:It also applies to Senior Cst levels 1 and 2 (read 8 and 11 year members). I don't have the pay scale for those levels, and they are not automatic. Officers must apply and write a test, similiar to a promotional advancement within a rank.

Senior Cst Level I (8 yrs) - $89,147
Senior Cst Level II (11 yrs) - $90,814 + one chevron on your sleeve

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 pm

RJB wrote:
fenceline wrote:It also applies to Senior Cst levels 1 and 2 (read 8 and 11 year members). I don't have the pay scale for those levels, and they are not automatic. Officers must apply and write a test, similiar to a promotional advancement within a rank.

Senior Cst Level I (8 yrs) - $89,147
Senior Cst Level II (11 yrs) - $90,814 + one chevron on your sleeve

Haha, only $1667 extra a year to pack an extra pieces of kit. :mrgreen: That's only one good stat day extra in pay :smirk:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Thats really good cash I hope one day that we catch up. When I got into the RCMP I was also in the process with CPS. The Mounties snagged me first.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 am

PHB wrote:Thats really good cash I hope one day that we catch up. When I got into the RCMP I was also in the process with CPS. The Mounties snagged me first.

I guess that is what that nameless instructor meant by "not the regular police" :smirk:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

actrelentless
Rookie Member

Postby actrelentless » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Question regarding vision... my idea is to apply before going through with laser eye surgery and see if they would accept me (pending successful surgery).

I dont want to go through with the operation unless I am accepted into the force - or at least well on my way into the process.

Any thoughts on this? Is this even possible?