Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
madcart
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby madcart » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:24 pm

The info was disclosed with the RCMP in the initial app and didn't hinder my chances and I went to the interview, poly, and background investigation. As for the CPS, I had broke into a home at the age of 14 (14 years before my app). I believe that was the only disclosure over and above. It was something that wasn't asked on the intitial PDF and I didn't even think of it until the interview after I was asked. I was honest in my answer and was successful in the polygraph stage of the process.

With the RC's, I put that in my PDF in the beginning as I knew how it impacted me with the CPS. With that being said, the RC's knowing this, still moved me through the process so I'm a little unsure what happened there.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm

madcart wrote:The info was disclosed with the RCMP in the initial app and didn't hinder my chances and I went to the interview, poly, and background investigation. As for the CPS, I had broke into a home at the age of 14 (14 years before my app). I believe that was the only disclosure over and above. It was something that wasn't asked on the intitial PDF and I didn't even think of it until the interview after I was asked. I was honest in my answer and was successful in the polygraph stage of the process.

With the RC's, I put that in my PDF in the beginning as I knew how it impacted me with the CPS. With that being said, the RC's knowing this, still moved me through the process so I'm a little unsure what happened there.
Hmm.. in my poly I added lots of additional things I didn't write on the PDF because I didn't remember until talking with the polygraphist. I wasn't deferred at all, let alone for a lifetime. There must be more to this story.

madcart
Rookie Member

Postby madcart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:26 am

That's the whole story. According to the officer I reported in to at 3 dist, my file manager was pretty ticked that I didn't get selected as well. It was really frustrating as I was told by boss that he had been in discussion with recruiting and that everything was a go for the March 04 class. This was told to me at the end of January. My poloygraph took place in December. There is nothing more to the story. That was 5 years ago and furthermore, have nothing to gain by leaving any of the details out on this post. It truly frustrates me as I know that I'm well qualified for the responsibility of being a cop in Calgary. It's in my blood and something I'm quite passionate about and have been for the last 12 years.

CPS24
Rookie Member

Postby CPS24 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I would go and talk to Recruiting personally (don't phone them, actually go to their office) and bring this up.

I too think that there is more to this story, but I was at the CPS Information Session last night, and the Recruiting guys come off as pretty approachable...but only you can be the judge of the seriousness of what you disclosed at the polygraph- if you honestly think that it wasn't anything serious enough for a lifetime deferral, it might be worth asking Recruiting to re-evaluate you or allow you to re-apply.

And RJB, what do you think about Bylaw or Transit Protective Services? Would it help to get a job with them for a bit, or would volunteering for the CPS be better?

CPS24 wrote:Bump...

So eventually, I am going through with this, but I've got more questions.

Would it help at all in terms of the CPS recruiting process if in the meantime, I were to try and land a job with either Calgary Bylaw Services or Calgary Transit Protective Services? And firstly, would either one hire a fairly young guy who just wants to use them as a stepping stone for CPS? I tried searching the Calgary Transit site and the Calgary municipal site, couldn't find much, so not sure if they're even hiring right now...
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

CPS24 wrote:And RJB, what do you think about Bylaw or Transit Protective Services? Would it help to get a job with them for a bit, or would volunteering for the CPS be better?
I know they don't like people are are just coming quickly to get a job elsewhere. It costs money to post and recruit a job and hiring someone who will be gone ASAP isn't something they want.

As well, it won't give you any advantage over someone in the process who has good, non law enforcement experience.

username1
Rookie Member

Postby username1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Anything new for CPS for 2010? recruit classes? numbers?

thanks

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:06 pm

username1 wrote:Anything new for CPS for 2010? recruit classes? numbers?

thanks

There was an article published at the end of December saying that Bronco wants to maintain hiring of up to 500 officers in the next five years, however things are looking closer to CPS only planning on two classes of recruits this year. Perhaps RJB or fenceline would be able to provide more info.
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

GNP
Rookie Member

Postby GNP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:26 pm

danoman wrote:
however things are looking closer to CPS only planning on two classes of recruits this year. Perhaps RJB or fenceline would be able to provide more info.

I'm curious if this is due to budget restraints or a lack of good applicants.

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:47 pm

danoman wrote:

thanks

There was an article published at the end of December saying that Bronco wants to maintain hiring of up to 500 officers in the next five years, however things are looking closer to CPS only planning on two classes of recruits this year. Perhaps RJB or fenceline would be able to provide more info.

Heard three classes this year. I don't know if they count the class that started in December as being one of the 2010 classes, or if three new classes are due up still.

24 per class.
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CalgaryGirl
Rookie Member

Postby CalgaryGirl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:12 am

Just wondering if there is a place in Calgary that offers A-PREP training or if there is a pursuit/restraint course set up that I can practice on? I called the U of C Be Fit for Life Centre since they offer PARE training, but got no response so I'm guessing they aren't offering PREP training. Thanks! :D
CPS Application Submitted - July 2, 2010

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm

danoman wrote:

thanks

I was just in recruiting a little while ago as I help doing the panel interviews with applicants.
The process is changing this year for us. Now you won't have your own file manager for the most part.. and they are doing blocks of interviews.. right now there is a 3 week block where they do 3 interviews a day. Instead of before it was scheduled all over the map.

And yeah, like fenceline said only 3 classes scheduled for this year which is more of a financial move. Definitely not a lack of qualified applicants. In fact, they anticipate this year that there will be applicants who pass everything in the process but won't be selected for employment as they will hire the people who do the best during the process. Everything won't just be a "pass"..
Much more competitive than previous years (thank god I lateraled before that.. ha)

But if the province provides more $$ for more positions than that will increase how many classes there will be.. so it isn't written in stone.. that is just what is currently scheduled. And back in December I heard the first class in 2010 was already full.

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:02 am

Whats the average time from application these days to getting selected for a class?

I have got my APP done and am currently going through my PDF (long process) and plan on applying by the end of Feb when I am back from a course in Ottawa, but I'm curious if that will put me in the running for the fall or if I would be looking at early 2011?

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 pm

I was talking to a friend in classes right now and this year there are only 2 classes with firm start dates for 2010. One starts in March and the other in November.

The recruiting process has changed this year as they do block interviews and such.. but last year it was between 3-6 months I'd say for an applicant. But that was with 6 classes a year going through.

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I am anticipating that I'll get back from a course by the end of Feb and have my application in and submitted by March 15th at the latest. I would bet that would be me in good running for the November class if all works out.

I'd be interested to see how many applicants this year with the way the economy is and the lack of classes, etc.

Never applied but this will be my first application and I'm hoping that everything on my resume is geared towards being hired first time.

AltaBSO
Rookie Member

Postby AltaBSO » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am

How long ago did CPS drop the requirement in your initial application package to have the First-Aid certificate, the Health Report, etc?

Seems a lot easier and more streamlined to have just the Application/Vision Report/and PDF in the application. Even easier to just apply and run A-PREP with the service rather than booking a date yourself and sending in your results with the package. I gotta say I dont mind it one bit and the paperwork pile isnt too huge.

I'm just curious how long ago this was dropped as I remember a while back they wanted everything submitted initially.