Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GloQc
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby GloQc » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:06 am

It needed to be said.

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Last update I heard:

Classes already in are continuing. Modifications to the training program are happening but the higher powers think it’ll work. I have my doubts.

Applicants in the process are basically on hold. Some of the testing can be conducted in locations that can conform to distancing rules, but others cannot. Some of the stages can be done via Skype/video conferencing but APREP will not go ahead at all. Poly is on hold for the moment. So those are hard stops for anyone in the process at the moment.

Caveat being this - we are getting daily updates for all our operations that are often contradictory to previous updates. This info was good as of Monday the 30th of March, but for all I know it may have changed on the 31st.

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 pm

cityblue wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm
Last update I heard:

Classes already in are continuing. Modifications to the training program are happening but the higher powers think it’ll work. I have my doubts.

Applicants in the process are basically on hold. Some of the testing can be conducted in locations that can conform to distancing rules, but others cannot. Some of the stages can be done via Skype/video conferencing but APREP will not go ahead at all. Poly is on hold for the moment. So those are hard stops for anyone in the process at the moment.

Caveat being this - we are getting daily updates for all our operations that are often contradictory to previous updates. This info was good as of Monday the 30th of March, but for all I know it may have changed on the 31st.
Thank you for updating us with the information you have. I think the constant change from day to day is something we are all experiencing, and we understand that this information can change by the hour. Stay safe.

applicant2020
Rookie Member

Postby applicant2020 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Thank you for the reply.

applicant2020
Rookie Member

Postby applicant2020 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi all. Just thought I would share a quick update:

I wrote the open testing on March 14 and passed. I submitted my application on March 20.

I was contacted by my file manager today, April 16, to schedule my PDI for next week (over the phone). He said that usually my next step would be APREP, but obviously that isn’t possible right now. He also said they are still conducting BDIs over Microsoft Teams. It’s nice to hear they are still trying to get steps completed for applicants in the process, even if they aren’t in the usual order.

TonyL
Rookie Member

Postby TonyL » Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am

Well I wrote Psych not too long ago. I hope to hear back either today or tomorrow.
I failed Psych twice before and thought I would never get a second chance to apply.
But by the Grace of God, I got in. My Recruiter is awesome and is very personable, he said he didn't care about my old results and is focused on the future for me. He also said they have lost so many great applicants who were/ are EMS and all at the Psych stage. I might be able to get a sit down interview or an interview over Microsoft Teams with the Psychologist.
But Poly is on pause due to COVID stuff.
Would they start backgrounding before Poly opens?

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:11 pm

TonyL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am
Well I wrote Psych not too long ago. I hope to hear back either today or tomorrow.
I failed Psych twice before and thought I would never get a second chance to apply.
But by the Grace of God, I got in. My Recruiter is awesome and is very personable, he said he didn't care about my old results and is focused on the future for me. He also said they have lost so many great applicants who were/ are EMS and all at the Psych stage. I might be able to get a sit down interview or an interview over Microsoft Teams with the Psychologist.
I'm in the process for another agency and still awaiting my polygraph, but have went on to complete medical, psych, background investigation, selection, and am currently under social media review.

It would make sense to keep the ball rolling for applicants not only so they can keep the administrative gears turning, but also to filter out the candidates that aren't yet suitable so they reduce their active pool of applicants.

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm

and am currently under social media review.

If they find you like nickelback fan group, you're going to get deferred.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 pm

NV35 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:11 pm
TonyL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am
I'm in the process for another agency and still awaiting my polygraph, but have went on to complete medical, psych, background investigation, selection, and am currently under social media review.

It would make sense to keep the ball rolling for applicants not only so they can keep the administrative gears turning, but also to filter out the candidates that aren't yet suitable so they reduce their active pool of applicants.
That's good to know that they kept you going through the process. Hopefully they will open up soon and you can get in for polygraph.

NV35
Rookie Member

Postby NV35 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm more worried about what they'll think when they find out I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan.

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 pm

NV35 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm more worried about what they'll think when they find out I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan.
hahaha
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Mraubewon
Rookie Member

Postby Mraubewon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 am

Hi All - Long time lurker but recently submitted my application to CPS (Just this past weekend). I had the opportunity to go on a ride-along recently as well and looking to set up a second one when I can. Good luck to all those in the process :thumbsup:

kpete848
Rookie Member

Postby kpete848 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 pm

I have not logged into this for a year or two but just to keep things positive. I joined this forum in 2014 and was through the process all along posting in here. I was hired in 2015 and now time has just blown by! Hard to believe I am on year 5 of working patrol!! Keep at it and don't give up. Best advice I can say is be ready to work and give it 100 percent.

If you are lucky to get hired that is only the beginning, don't be someone that just squeaks by , continue your working hard journey through classes and your career!

applicant2020
Rookie Member

Postby applicant2020 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I am moving along in the process with only the fitness test, polygraph and background check left to complete. Has anyone heard anything with regards to fitness testing and polygraph exams starting to open up?

Thanks in advance!