Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Tornelco
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Tornelco » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 pm

It's a shame the Calgary Police Service thread is so inactive. I like to think that its the result of less applicants but I think the true culprit is that most users on this forum are from Ontario!

Any CPS applicants want to come out of the shadows and discuss their timelines and thoughts on the process?

Astrofox
Rookie Member

Postby Astrofox » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm

I'll post. I've been a lurker for a long time and here is my time line. I applied in the Spring of 2019 and have progressed up to my Psych Evaluation. Popular questions I had myself that I searched for PAGES was the timeline in between each of the steps. From step one of applying I heard back within about a week from my Recruiter. ACT and APCAT were completed in September 2019. Policeprep was quite frankly the BEST resource I had for the two tests. Yes it costs money but the info in the program was invaluable and played a huge part in me being prepared. Afterwords, I was booked fairly quickly for my APREP which was done in October 2019. If you go in expecting it to be fairly straight forward think again. The Leger (beep test) failed half of the participants who exercised several times a week. You need to prepare with cardio if you dont it's going to be a bad time. After that came my PDF review in December 2019 which was very straight forward. It is the first time you meet your recruiter in person so make that great first impression. You go over your personal History Statement with them and add any disclosures. If you need to add disclosures after, add them. Next came my BDI in early 2020. This is the big one. I cannot go into any detail about it other then if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. This thread already has fantastic advice regarding this so I reccomend going back and looking over it. I will say I used "EarnYourBadge" and that resource was incredible. After that was my Polygraph which was in Feb 2020. I also cannot go into any detail other than if you were 100% honest on your PDF you have nothing to worry about. If you have left something out they will know, it will register on the machine and it will be noted. So dont dare be sneaky, just be honest and it will be a breeze. I then just completed my Psych Evaluation and am awaiting the results of that. Overall it has been a great process so far.

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Astrofox wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm
I'll post. I've been a lurker for a long time and here is my time line. I applied in the Spring of 2019 and have progressed up to my Psych Evaluation.
Thanks for your reply! I also bought the PolicePrep resource to prepare for the APCAT/ACT. I did open testing with Edmonton Police in November 2019 and passed. I applied for Calgary and Edmonton on the same week in February. Edmonton hasn't gotten back to me but Calgary emailed me to tell me that I forgot to sign a form, so I signed it and got it back to them and now I'm in pre-screen review. I've been doing kickboxing to prepare for the A-PREP, it has a good bit of cardio as a warm up and then exercises are all high-intensity with a bit of cardio so yeah!

I passed a BDI interview with the CBSA but they do competencies a bit differently than other agencies. It's not a violation to say this since its right on the CBSA website that the CBSA uses role plays and hypotheical scenarios as a way of judging competencies. So I am pretty nervous for my first interview where I have to make personal reflections about my past that relate to the competencies!!! I know that Edmonton Police gives a lot of feedback after the BDI, so I am hoping that other agencies do as well.

I also applied for Lethbridge Police, so hopefully doing the BDI with Lethbridge, Edmonton, and Calgary will make me a pro.

Based on your timeline, it seems that Calgary has really stepped up their application wait times. Looking forward to everything. Hope more applicants come out, but in the meantime lets stay in touch!

Igwee
Rookie Member

Postby Igwee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Glad to see CPS applicants now coming out of their shells to share their timelines. It's a very nerve wrecking process and reading up similar timelines here is particularly soothing to say the least. Well, I applied in Spring of 2019 and currently awaiting the results of my Psych test done in Feb.

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 am

Igwee wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 pm
Glad to see CPS applicants now coming out of their shells to share their timelines. It's a very nerve wrecking process and reading up similar timelines here is particularly soothing to say the least. Well, I applied in Spring of 2019 and currently awaiting the results of my Psych test done in Feb.
Want to share your exact timeline? seems like you and the other guy applied at the same time.

Igwee
Rookie Member

Postby Igwee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:49 am

Tornelco wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 am
Igwee wrote:
Want to share your exact timeline? seems like you and the other guy applied at the same time.

Of course... ACT & APCAT: Open test in Sept. 2018, Application Submitted : April 2019 , A-PREP: July 2019 but recertified Feb 2020, BDI & PDI : Oct. 2019 and finally Poly & Psych : Feb.2020. Let me know if I'm missing something

Igwee
Rookie Member

Postby Igwee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 am
Igwee wrote:
Of course... ACT & APCAT: Open test in Sept. 2018, Application Submitted : April 2019 , A-PREP: July 2019 but recertified Feb 2020, BDI & PDI : Oct. 2019 and finally Poly & Psych : Feb.2020. Let me know if I'm missing something

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Either of you two who did the A-PREP also done the PARE?

Any comparisons you wanna make? which was harder?

I passed the PARE a while back and my fitness has since improved. I might go do it again to see how much my time has improved.

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

I passed the PARE a while back and my fitness has since improved. I might go do it again to see how much my time has improved.
I've recently done APREP. I haven't done the Pare, however, I highly recommend measuring out 20m and run the leger test. Get an idea where you stand in regards to that.

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:50 am

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

I have not done both, but the consensus across any of my peers who have done both is that the PARE is a monster while APREP is a walk in the park. “PARE cough” is a thing.

Beep test is the defining factor for sure - tons of people bomb out on that. If you can’t find a measuring tape for the 20m, then do the test using a volleyball court - they are 18m, so get yourself a good stride past the baselines and that’s close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. Lots of apps, YouTube, and audio clips available with the timings for the test.

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Hey everyone,

Hope all are healthy and keeping safe in this bizzare time. I am curious if anyone knows, or has heard, if the current state of social distancing is having an effect on the upcoming classes(or the one that started this month).

Igwee
Rookie Member

Postby Igwee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Chris403 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:08 pm
Hey everyone,

Hope all are healthy and keeping safe in this bizzare time. I am curious if anyone knows, or has heard, if the current state of social distancing is having an effect on the upcoming classes(or the one that started this month).
I actually called recruiting few days back out of curiosity just like you to ask similar question but was advised that to that point it hasn't really had a significant impact on the current or future classes. However, just like anyone else the future is unpredictable as far as this virus thing is concerned.

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 pm

Igwee wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm
Chris403 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:08 pm
Hey everyone,

I actually called recruiting few days back out of curiosity just like you to ask similar question but was advised that to that point it hasn't really had a significant impact on the current or future classes. However, just like anyone else the future is unpredictable as far as this virus thing is concerned.
Awesome. I am glad to hear that.

applicant2020
Rookie Member

Postby applicant2020 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi,

I know this was just asked last week, but has anyone heard any updates as to how the virus is effecting the upcoming classes and/or application process? I know the situation is fluid and up in the air right now.

TYIA

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:43 am

Sigh.

Ten million Canadians are out of work. 100,000 will be bankrupt in three weeks. 500,000 will have their RRSPs drained to nothing in three months. And here on Blue Line, applicants continue to ask questions that cannot be answered. Does NO ONE READ OR WATCH THE NEWS? We are in a crisis of unprecedented proportions and most of the world is on hold right now.

The answer is … NO ONE KNOWS.

Is every applicant so self-entitled that all they care about is themselves and when THEIR training will start up or THEIR application will be processed?

Some of us haven't gotten a pay cheque in two months, and can expect nothing for at least two more months. Have some empathy folks. Read the posts. Watch the news. When colleges start back up and they start processing applicants, THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW.