Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
prswp
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby prswp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Cityblue has some great advice all through this thread.

One other thing that I think could use some repeating is practicing the pivots on the leger. Cityblue said you want to be hitting that line at the beep, not before, but you also want to practice the pivot so your return after hitting the line is as smooth a transition as possible. Aim for being at level 8 going in as well. There is a great 6 week program that your recruiting agent can email you as well. If you follow that program, you will be just fine.

Good luck in the process!

GoForTheGold18
Rookie Member

Postby GoForTheGold18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello,

I have recently applied to CPS and have not been assigned a file manager as of yet. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I submitted my application a little while ago, but I would still consider it recent. I have been in communications with recruitment, and have been explained I'm in the screening process. I'm doing my best to be patient, but it's tough when you're excited to start.

Thanks!

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

To give you an idea, I submitted my application in January and got booked in for testing in June. It takes time. I had a friend apply at the same time, he got in a little bit faster, by about a month. We figured it goes alphabetical after screening as his last name is nearer to A then mine. It's a long process, just be patient and don't expect to hear much until they call to book your tests.

GoForTheGold18
Rookie Member

Postby GoForTheGold18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

prswp wrote:To give you an idea, I submitted my application in January and got booked in for testing in June. It takes time. I had a friend apply at the same time, he got in a little bit faster, by about a month. We figured it goes alphabetical after screening as his last name is nearer to A then mine. It's a long process, just be patient and don't expect to hear much until they call to book your tests.

Fair enough and thanks for the good info!

403police
Rookie Member

Postby 403police » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi, hoping someone in this forum is able to give me some advice or their opinions. Has anyone ever heard of someone being deferred for a lifetime and if so do we know the reason as to why? Has anyone written an appeal letter and it has been successful?

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 pm

403police wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:36 pm
Hi, hoping someone in this forum is able to give me some advice or their opinions. Has anyone ever heard of someone being deferred for a lifetime and if so do we know the reason as to why? Has anyone written an appeal letter and it has been successful?
The longest I've heard someone get deferred is ten years. Life time is just unprecedented. Do you have a criminal record?

403police
Rookie Member

Postby 403police » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 pm

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 pm
[quote=403police post_id=842511 time=<a href="tel:1572032174">1572032174</a> user_id=48458]
The longest I've heard someone get deferred is ten years. Life time is just unprecedented. Do you have a criminal record?
[/quote]

No criminal record at all. I haven’t officially received my deferral letter but I am aware lifetime deferrals are received in the mail. I was awaiting my Enhanced Security Declaration to come back and then heard about the deferral after that so I am trying to figure out what the issue is. I’m quite bummed out as I feel I have taken all the appropriate measures and I cannot figure out what is hindering me.

403police
Rookie Member

Postby 403police » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 pm

No criminal record at all. I haven’t officially received my deferral letter but I am aware lifetime deferrals are received in the mail. I was awaiting my Enhanced Security Declaration to come back and then heard about the deferral after that so I am trying to figure out what the issue is. I’m quite bummed out as I feel I have taken all the appropriate measures and I cannot figure out what is hindering me.

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:13 pm

403police wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 pm
What do you mean you heard about the deferral? How do you know you got deferred if you haven't received the letter?

Have you been arrested before but not charged? Is this your first application? Nobody can answer why you got deferred. It could be a variety of reasons. Your level of competitiveness, your qualifications, or the severity of things you have done in the past. These are all considered when sending deferrals. Most are given one year deferrals, anything beyond that is not normal. You have to speak with the recruiter. I don't know what your exact circumstances are. You obviously have done something in your past, or didn't disclose it during your interview.

Its unfortunate but I would try not to dwell on it. It seems like you can appeal it but I would recommend contacting the recruiter first.

Good luck.

403police
Rookie Member

Postby 403police » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I spoke with my file manager who told me I would be receiving a registered letter in the mail regarding my deferral. I have never been arrested or charged for anything. When I spoke with my file manager, they told me that it was regarding my enhanced security declaration and more information would be in my letter. This is my first time applying and I haven’t even went through stage one yet. I submitted my application package and my file manager told me she was awaiting the results of my enhanced security declaration, once it was completed that’s when I received that call that I was receiving a deferral. I called recruitment and they told me my results of the ESD are confidential. Any advice as to what to do? Also, I haven’t received my letter and it’s been over a week.

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:52 pm

403police wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm
I spoke with my file manager who told me I would be receiving a registered letter in the mail regarding my deferral. I have never been arrested or charged for anything. When I spoke with my file manager, they told me that it was regarding my enhanced security declaration and more information would be in my letter. This is my first time applying and I haven’t even went through stage one yet. I submitted my application package and my file manager told me she was awaiting the results of my enhanced security declaration, once it was completed that’s when I received that call that I was receiving a deferral. I called recruitment and they told me my results of the ESD are confidential. Any advice as to what to do? Also, I haven’t received my letter and it’s been over a week.
CPS says in their FAQ that lifetime deferrals are open to appeal. Hope you get things squared away... Sounds strange...

Source: "If you have received a lifetime deferral / disqualification you may provide a written appeal as detailed in the notification letter." - https://join.calgarypolice.ca/tag/deferral/

KJ26
Rookie Member

Postby KJ26 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:52 pm
403police wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm
CPS says in their FAQ that lifetime deferrals are open to appeal. Hope you get things squared away... Sounds strange...

Source: "If you have received a lifetime deferral / disqualification you may provide a written appeal as detailed in the notification letter." - https://join.calgarypolice.ca/tag/deferral/
I’m in the exact the same situation as you, I received a lifetime deferral and was told it was because I couldn’t be security cleared however I have never committed a offence in my life. The weird part is I’m security cleared federally at the secret level, so I can’t seem to see the why there would be a reason not to be cleared. I suspect that CPS is going also looking at family members not listed on the disclosure form. People who have no direct relation to you. I’m inferring this because I was told by my file manager that “ sometimes it’s not the individual, it’s the family” basically insinuating the enhanced clearance screens much further than immediate family members and starts to cross the line into relatives. The worst part is, is that even if you have estranged relatives you will most likely run into problems . However based on the disclosure form, only immediate family members are looked at with regard the the enhanced security clearance. I’m currently still awaiting the results of my appeal. Good luck though, it can be quite the process to go through. It’s hard when no one will tell you why, but rather make insinuations as to the situation.

I’m in the exact the same situation as you, I received a lifetime deferral and was told it was because I couldn’t be security cleared however I have never committed a offence in my life. The weird part is I’m security cleared federally at the secret level, so I can’t seem to see the why there would be a reason not to be cleared. I suspect that CPS is going also looking at family members not listed on the disclosure form. People who have no direct relation to you. I’m inferring this because I was told by my file manager that “ sometimes it’s not the individual, it’s the family” basically insinuating the enhanced clearance screens much further than immediate family members and starts to cross the line into relatives. The worst part is, is that even if you have estranged relatives you will most likely run into problems . However based on the disclosure form, only immediate family members are looked at with regard the the enhanced security clearance. I’m currently still awaiting the results of my appeal. Good luck though, it can be quite the process to go through. It’s hard when no one will tell you why, but rather make insinuations as to the situation.
AB Applicant
App: Nov/19
RPAB: Exempt
SP: Dec/19
SP Rec: Jan/20
App Rec: Feb/20
RMAQ:
RFI:
BGI:
PEP:
PEP Rec:
MMPI:
Medical:
Psych:
Medical Rec:
SC:

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has a workout routine that they are using in preparation for academy? I do go to the gym and run 5km everyday as well as weight train. I am hoping someone may have a more specific training program inline with what we will be doing as I feel I am somewhat sporadic with my weights.

Thanks

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 am

Chris403 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has a workout routine that they are using in preparation for academy? I do go to the gym and run 5km everyday as well as weight train. I am hoping someone may have a more specific training program inline with what we will be doing as I feel I am somewhat sporadic with my weights.

Thanks
Start working some HIIT strength training into your program. You will run a bit in training but 5km is probably the max of any run you’ll do. Even on running days with PT, you will usually do interval training, cadence runs, or hill sprints rather than the usual monotonous 5km plod that most people do.

Focus your weight training around leg strength, core, and back. You will need the muscle and endurance in those areas to avoid injuries during training and set yourself up with a good base - almost everything you do throughout classes needs you to have the ability to transfer power from the ground up. Core and back strength will be huge throughout the next 25 years of your career for injury prevention, so might as well get it going now.

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 am

cityblue wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 am
Chris403 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Hello all,

Thanks
Start working some HIIT strength training into your program. You will run a bit in training but 5km is probably the max of any run you’ll do. Even on running days with PT, you will usually do interval training, cadence runs, or hill sprints rather than the usual monotonous 5km plod that most people do.

Focus your weight training around leg strength, core, and back. You will need the muscle and endurance in those areas to avoid injuries during training and set yourself up with a good base - almost everything you do throughout classes needs you to have the ability to transfer power from the ground up. Core and back strength will be huge throughout the next 25 years of your career for injury prevention, so might as well get it going now.
Awesome. Thanks for the information. I should be starting class in a couple months and want to try to adapt my training accordingly.