Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

prswp
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby prswp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Cityblue has some great advice all through this thread.

One other thing that I think could use some repeating is practicing the pivots on the leger. Cityblue said you want to be hitting that line at the beep, not before, but you also want to practice the pivot so your return after hitting the line is as smooth a transition as possible. Aim for being at level 8 going in as well. There is a great 6 week program that your recruiting agent can email you as well. If you follow that program, you will be just fine.

Good luck in the process!

GoForTheGold18
Rookie Member

Postby GoForTheGold18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello,

I have recently applied to CPS and have not been assigned a file manager as of yet. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I submitted my application a little while ago, but I would still consider it recent. I have been in communications with recruitment, and have been explained I'm in the screening process. I'm doing my best to be patient, but it's tough when you're excited to start.

Thanks!

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

To give you an idea, I submitted my application in January and got booked in for testing in June. It takes time. I had a friend apply at the same time, he got in a little bit faster, by about a month. We figured it goes alphabetical after screening as his last name is nearer to A then mine. It's a long process, just be patient and don't expect to hear much until they call to book your tests.

GoForTheGold18
Rookie Member

Postby GoForTheGold18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

prswp wrote:To give you an idea, I submitted my application in January and got booked in for testing in June. It takes time. I had a friend apply at the same time, he got in a little bit faster, by about a month. We figured it goes alphabetical after screening as his last name is nearer to A then mine. It's a long process, just be patient and don't expect to hear much until they call to book your tests.
Fair enough and thanks for the good info!

cityblue
Seasoned Member

Postby cityblue » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 pm

For anyone who has been sitting on the fence deciding when to submit for CPS, there frankly isn’t a better time. We have recently been told by many sources (recruiters, recruit instructors, senior exec, etc...) that we will be hiring a massive number of recruits over the next 4 years to catch up to, and eventually surpass, our current attrition rate. We’ve been given numbers as roughly 6 classes a year for the next 4 years. We are sitting at roughly 100 officers below authorized strength and we lose about 75-100 a year to retirement, so that 4 year plan of hiring 120-145 recruits will help us stay with attrition and gradually rebuild strength to the fully authorized number.

That being said, they have steadfastly refused to lower the standards, so we may not run that many classes if we struggle for qualified recruits. Either way, though, I’d expect no fewer than 3 or 4 classes a year at a minimum going forward.

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm

^Thats good news, unfortunately I got deferred in Sept at the interview. They mentioned they will ask for 6 months never heard back through the mail. So I'm uncertain if I want to go through all that again being out of town since I already did come back twice to go through the process but nonetheless good news for people looking to apply.
CBSA:
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for documents- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- ?
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 am

hsinom wrote:^Thats good news, unfortunately I got deferred in Sept at the interview. They mentioned they will ask for 6 months never heard back through the mail. So I'm uncertain if I want to go through all that again being out of town since I already did come back twice to go through the process but nonetheless good news for people looking to apply.
Well one way to look at this (as I'm sure you've heard before) is that reapplying makes you appear more loyal to your preferred agency. On the other hand, if you think it might not be worth the paper work or signing the dotted line a few more times, then for yourself, it likely isn't.

Side note: if you're struggling with the BDI, thats an easy fix. Unlike the A-PREP and APCAT you can prepare for the BDI in a relatively short period of time as long as you stick to the required STAR format and come up with some good competency examples. A lot of the examples I used, I didn't think would be 'significant enough' of a like experience type thing to share. However, a lot of them actually carried some weight simply because they strictly covered the competency in question. In other words, don't over think your examples.

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

Side note: if you're struggling with the BDI, thats an easy fix. Unlike the A-PREP and APCAT you can prepare for the BDI in a relatively short period of time as long as you stick to the required STAR format and come up with some good competency examples. A lot of the examples I used, I didn't think would be 'significant enough' of a like experience type thing to share. However, a lot of them actually carried some weight simply because they strictly covered the competency in question. In other words, don't over think your examples.
This is great advice. I was told ~60% of people who make it to the BDI don't get past it simply because of poor preparation. There are also agencies out there that can help you with interview prep as well (they aren't cheap, but in my experience, were well worth the investment). They were really good for doing mock interviews and helping you tailor your answers etc.

Also if you have friends or know people who have gone through a BDI or BDI style interview, enlist their help as well. Sometimes a panel of friends can be far more scathing than the actual BDI.

It all comes down to practice. If you know your competencies and your responses, you will be fine.

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Got deferred until September - no big deal as we just had a little one and the timing allows me to focus on that.

Just had a question regarding the deferral; I thought when issued the deferral they would give you a reason, however I just received a notice on my account that said deferred until September. Is that normal? I didn't email recruiting asking for clarification on it as it wouldn't really change the deferral and I didn't want to bother them. September really isn't that far away either.

If anyone had any experience on that, it would be cool to hear it.

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm

ReadySetGo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 am
hsinom wrote:^Thats good news, unfortunately I got deferred in Sept at the interview. They mentioned they will ask for 6 months never heard back through the mail. So I'm uncertain if I want to go through all that again being out of town since I already did come back twice to go through the process but nonetheless good news for people looking to apply.
Well one way to look at this (as I'm sure you've heard before) is that reapplying makes you appear more loyal to your preferred agency. On the other hand, if you think it might not be worth the paper work or signing the dotted line a few more times, then for yourself, it likely isn't.

Good to know. I’m thinking I did exactly that (overthink) to squeeze it into the STAR format. Anyway I got a call from a constable from recruiting to come back and redo the interview and pickup where I left off in less than 6 months so I’m assuming my deferral is up. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.
CBSA:
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Clearance- ?
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Chris403
Rookie Member

Postby Chris403 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 am

Hey everyone!

I have a question for those who have made it through aprep and into recruiting. I have my Aprep testing in 3 weeks and am currently doing the 6 weeks to a better leger. I am currently running on a treadmill 3:3 @ 7.4 miles per hour as my fast pace. In your experience do you think this speed would produce a successful outcome in testing? I am having a tough time breaking past that speed. Any advice even though I am only three weeks out?

Thanks,

GoForTheGold18
Rookie Member

Postby GoForTheGold18 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 am

Chris403 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 am
Hey everyone!

I have a question for those who have made it through aprep and into recruiting. I have my Aprep testing in 3 weeks and am currently doing the 6 weeks to a better leger. I am currently running on a treadmill 3:3 @ 7.4 miles per hour as my fast pace. In your experience do you think this speed would produce a successful outcome in testing? I am having a tough time breaking past that speed. Any advice even though I am only three weeks out?

Thanks,
I'm currently running through it myself (again) and I can honestly say you're probably going to be fine from the sound of those results. However, have you tried the test/have the ability to do so at your current gym or maybe at a day-pass through another gym? Running the test is really different than the conditioning portion of training. That being said, conditioning is very important. For some people, they can train and train and still have issues with getting a decent score on the shuttle run. For others, it can come much more naturally. I would highly recommend that a. you are participating in orientation, and b. you try running the test on the treadmill or better yet, on actual ground. You can pm me and I can definitely offer up any of the tips I've been given in the past. Maybe one will work for you.

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

Chris403 wrote:
Hey everyone!

Thanks,

For the shuttle run-Just pace yourself . Don’t rush it at the beginning and remember to breathe .

A prep- pace yourself again and remember you’ll have a weighted belt around you which may slow you down

Good luck. I’m re attempting mine in 3 weeks too.
CBSA:
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Clearance- ?
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:29 am

Pacing is key for the shuttle run. Try and test it if you can every couple of weeks. I went and bought a 30m tape measure and a couple of cones from Lowes and found a flat open place to set it up. Also had a couple of friends run it with me - helps for motivation if you can find someone willing. Try and aim for hitting level 8 or higher... that will make hitting level 7 on test day a lot easier.

The obstacle course isn't bad at all, even with the belt. You have more than enough time to complete it. Just remember to do the push/pull station under control. A lot of people hit that hard and lose time getting it reset or having to repeat it form not fully extending the machine.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Chris403 wrote:
Hey everyone!

Thanks,
First I'd like to say its nice to see this thread is active again after a while of nobody commenting. It's always nice to see applicants that care enough to ask some questions that keeping them up at night, I know it sure helped me going through the process.

As for the APREP and specifically the leger, what I can tell you is that a level 7 by average standards is not a very high score. It's hard to tell what your pace on a treadmill is like in comparison to how well you will do on the leger considering so much of it depends on your ability to stop and turn, and accelerate several times. What I can tell you, is that people in my recruit class who were running around the same treadmill speed as you, were able to pass the leger, but not as easily as those who ran say 8-9mph for 3:3.

All in all, I wouldn't stress much about passing the leger, what applicants need to consider is how difficult the actual training is once you're accepted, as the expectations of you only continue to increase.