Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Vetrius
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Vetrius » Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 am

prswp wrote:I submitted my application at the end of January and have not heard anything other than an email from Recruiting when I updated some information saying someone would contact me "soon" to schedule testing. That was six weeks ago. Could be busy, but I am debating calling them today just to check in.
Have you heard anything back yet? I applied online at the end of January, and have heard nothing other than the automated response telling me they received it. No follow up, no one's reached out, nothing. I understand they're backlogged, but it's been complete silence for 4 months now. Since I applied using the new online method, I'm not even sure where to follow up.

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

I have had some contact, waiting for the next round of testing to begin. I am pretty sure all of the available resources are going towards onboarding the June class, which is only partially full from what I have been told. This happened to a friend of mine as well who submitted and the March class was onboarding - no contact until that was finished.

kpete848

Postby kpete848 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Vetrius wrote:
prswp wrote:I submitted my application at the end of January and have not heard anything other than an email from Recruiting when I updated some information saying someone would contact me "soon" to schedule testing. That was six weeks ago. Could be busy, but I am debating calling them today just to check in.
Have you heard anything back yet? I applied online at the end of January, and have heard nothing other than the automated response telling me they received it. No follow up, no one's reached out, nothing. I understand they're backlogged, but it's been complete silence for 4 months now. Since I applied using the new online method, I'm not even sure where to follow up.
They are filling classes which take priority over new applicants since there are many that have been selected but not enough room due to class size...You may get a response tomorrow or in another 6 weeks but thats just something that comes with applying for this type of Job. Theres only a handful of recruiting officers who have to not only look at but in-depth read each of the 20 some pages and forms filled out by eager applicants but from there make the decision who should have the opportunity to apply and who should not. With that I am guessing there is 100's of applicants so its something that takes time and should not be rushed. No news is good news in some cases, just continue bettering yourself and living your life until the time comes when you get an email from one of the recruiters.

prswp
Rookie Member

Postby prswp » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm

At this point, I am just patiently waiting. I will hear when I hear. With the on-boarding for June going on, no one will hear anything until afterward. Just keep working on your BDI examples :D The wait sucks, but with the time, anyone who isn't preparing for the process would be a fool.

I heard a rumor from a CPS officer that there were upwards of 1200 applicants, can't say whether that was true or not, just what I heard.

kpete848

Postby kpete848 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

prswp wrote:At this point, I am just patiently waiting. I will hear when I hear. With the on-boarding for June going on, no one will hear anything until afterward. Just keep working on your BDI examples :D The wait sucks, but with the time, anyone who isn't preparing for the process would be a fool.

I heard a rumor from a CPS officer that there were upwards of 1200 applicants, can't say whether that was true or not, just what I heard.

Yup make yourself the top applicant you can, you have the right idea. As for the amount of applicants, that would not surprise me, however you could probably half that since there going to be a lot that are not qualified or not good applicants.

hsinom
Rookie Member

Postby hsinom » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Hello everyone, I was recently called from CPS to go forward in the process and have me scheduled for a few days since Im in Vancouver. Can anyone tell me what the best way to prepare for the physical A-prep test since there is no practice run being offered here locally. I do stay in shape by running and weight training. Any help is appreciated.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:56 am

hsinom wrote:Hello everyone, I was recently called from CPS to go forward in the process and have me scheduled for a few days since Im in Vancouver. Can anyone tell me what the best way to prepare for the physical A-prep test since there is no practice run being offered here locally. I do stay in shape by running and weight training. Any help is appreciated.
If you already run regularly, you’ll be fine, as the A-Prep is largely cardio based. The obstacle type course is a breeze and you only have to hit level 7 for the leger run. Once you’re in classes you’ll be expected to run closer to a level 11. Your file manager will Have sent you some other information on how the A-prep is ran, which the instructors at west winds will reiterate anyway when you are about to run the test. In other words, don’t stress it too much, focus on preparing for your interviews.

cityblue
Seasoned Member

Postby cityblue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 am

hsinom wrote:Hello everyone, I was recently called from CPS to go forward in the process and have me scheduled for a few days since Im in Vancouver. Can anyone tell me what the best way to prepare for the physical A-prep test since there is no practice run being offered here locally. I do stay in shape by running and weight training. Any help is appreciated.
I don’t know your physical size, but if you are on the lower/smaller end of the scale: Make sure you have half-decent shoes that have good grip on basketball courts. The reason I say that is that I’ve watched a number of light applicants struggle on the push-pull portion and the dummy drag portions - not because they aren’t strong enough, but simply because they can’t get the traction needed to use their full weight as leverage. For bigger applicants it’s relatively moot - the weight you move is very small compare to a 200lb person, but for a 110lb person it’s not insignificant.

Beyond that, test yourself on a beep test/Leger run and make sure 7 isn't going to cause a problem for you. There’s tons of apps (free and paid) as well as YouTube videos or mp3s with the audio out there and it’s simple to mark off the appropriate distance on a field or court without problems.

As mentioned by RSG, beyond that, it’s pretty simple otherwise. The fitness instructors make it pretty dummy proof, so you aren’t having to memorize the whole sequence - they call out instructions as you go through it (ie - over the wall, around the wall, etc).

hsinom
Rookie Member

Postby hsinom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 am

Thank you. I normally run a mile in 6 mins 45 seconds approx. Also I'm about 180 lbs and 6 feet 2 inches. Any tips on the panel interview?

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member

Postby ReadySetGo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 pm

hsinom wrote:Thank you. I normally run a mile in 6 mins 45 seconds approx. Also I'm about 180 lbs and 6 feet 2 inches. Any tips on the panel interview?
-Prepare some examples for each competency and practice them with a family member or friend
-Review and understand the STAR response method
-Familiarize yourself with CPS partnerships and programs (youth link, YARD, etc.)
-Be yourself.

hsinom
Rookie Member

Postby hsinom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm

ReadySetGo wrote:
hsinom wrote:Thank you. I normally run a mile in 6 mins 45 seconds approx. Also I'm about 180 lbs and 6 feet 2 inches. Any tips on the panel interview?
-Prepare some examples for each competency and practice them with a family member or friend
-Review and understand the STAR response method
-Familiarize yourself with CPS partnerships and programs (youth link, YARD, etc.)
-Be yourself.

Thank you. Fingers crossed everything goes well and get hired. I've been dreaming for a long time and applying to different agencies, this time it may become reality.

jdl84
Rookie Member

Postby jdl84 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:45 am

I am originally from the UK, been in Canada for 4 years. I had a UK police background check carried out for immigration purposes. Do I need to re do/re apply for another certificate prior to applying for CPS, or does the background check process by CPS cover the UK aspect? I’m trying to work out if I should apply for it now or not have to pay for it if it’s already covered.

Thanks in advance.

cityblue
Seasoned Member

Postby cityblue » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm

jdl84 wrote:I am originally from the UK, been in Canada for 4 years. I had a UK police background check carried out for immigration purposes. Do I need to re do/re apply for another certificate prior to applying for CPS, or does the background check process by CPS cover the UK aspect? I’m trying to work out if I should apply for it now or not have to pay for it if it’s already covered.

Thanks in advance.
Huh, that’s a new one. I’ve not heard of that before, so I’d suggest you call Recruiting to ask for clarification prior to submitting your paperwork. It’s likely they will handle getting police checks done from the appropriate agencies, but it may be slightly different for foreign countries.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Cityblue summed up everything perfectly and eloquently.

I want to reiterate, if you are "approaching" level 7 on the beep test, I don't want to sound rude but that's simply not good enough. As he said, that's the minimum and 95% of the applicants will soar far above that score. With how competitive the process is, I doubt a 7 will be looked upon as acceptable.

My class average for the beep test was about a 9.5; we had a 38 year old who could run to level 13.

Additionally, wow, they cut 10 people before grad? That's insane. Never heard that happening before.
LEO

MasterPlanMan

Postby MasterPlanMan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 am

Slovak4188 wrote:Cityblue summed up everything perfectly and eloquently.

I want to reiterate, if you are "approaching" level 7 on the beep test, I don't want to sound rude but that's simply not good enough. As he said, that's the minimum and 95% of the applicants will soar far above that score. With how competitive the process is, I doubt a 7 will be looked upon as acceptable.

My class average for the beep test was about a 9.5; we had a 38 year old who could run to level 13.

Additionally, wow, they cut 10 people before grad? That's insane. Never heard that happening before.
Edmonton is the same way. Quite a few get cut in Block 1 and Block 2 for various reasons.
Edmonton Police Service