Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby ReadySetGo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am

cityblue wrote:
KHSine wrote:One more question. Any idea of how many class might be happening in 2018?
4 classes - 2 will be for the additional bodies allocated in the budget update with 2 to maintain attrition. First class Jan 22 (of course, subject to change, but that's what it is currently listed and what the injured/new recruits have been getting told).

If they follow the structure of the newly designed class schedule, they can run classes on intervals of 6 weeks. I don't know if that re-design is actually in place, but that was the theory.
Ineresting. So when they say the plan is to hire 50 new recruits, does that translate to adding 50 bodies to the organization? In other words, they might be hiring more than 50 in 2018?

User avatar
GeeGee
Veteran Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:13 am

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby GeeGee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Offers for january class and march class started to go out. Good luck to all waiting!!!
CPPS

cityblue
Seasoned Member
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby cityblue » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:02 am

ReadySetGo wrote:
cityblue wrote:
KHSine wrote:One more question. Any idea of how many class might be happening in 2018?
4 classes - 2 will be for the additional bodies allocated in the budget update with 2 to maintain attrition. First class Jan 22 (of course, subject to change, but that's what it is currently listed and what the injured/new recruits have been getting told).

If they follow the structure of the newly designed class schedule, they can run classes on intervals of 6 weeks. I don't know if that re-design is actually in place, but that was the theory.
Ineresting. So when they say the plan is to hire 50 new recruits, does that translate to adding 50 bodies to the organization? In other words, they might be hiring more than 50 in 2018?
That is the understanding - there should be 96 seats up for grabs this year in classes, give or take a few. Not sure if we will also have DEO spots, but it's in discussion apparently as well.

DAC89
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby DAC89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Got a call yesterday to let me know that I'd been selected for an upcoming class! It sounds like I might be in the March class as they've decided to fill January with those people who's poly's/backgrounds are expiring soon, but they said I'd find out which one shortly. Good luck to everyone else who was up for selections yesterday.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby ReadySetGo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

DAC89 wrote:Got a call yesterday to let me know that I'd been selected for an upcoming class! It sounds like I might be in the March class as they've decided to fill January with those people who's poly's/backgrounds are expiring soon, but they said I'd find out which one shortly. Good luck to everyone else who was up for selections yesterday.
Congrats! I'm very much in the same boat, also got the call yesterday. Fingers crossed for March. Time to focus on recertification on the APREP in January.

kpete848
Regular Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby kpete848 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Congrats to those selected it’s a great feeling.. With that , piece of advice.. keep a good head on your shoulders and just keep your head down and focus on being a competent recruit . Don’t complain and know that everyone’s gone through what you have. It’s a long stressful process and it gets even harder when you get out on coach phase. That being said... it’s a great job and wouldn’t trade it for anything but be prepared to work.. somehow almost 3
Years have passed since I was directly in your shoes posting on here I was selected for classes... time flys that’s for sure

TMR09
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby TMR09 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Congrats to everyone who have received in my opinion the most exciting phone call you will ever get. It is coming up on a year since I got mine. If anyone has any questions or even just want to talk about what to expect these next 6 months don't hesitate to reach out. This really is the best career in the world!

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby ReadySetGo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for medical clinics? I go to a walk in place downtown, but they charge me a $50 filing fee to get my APREP clearance done.

onward
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby onward » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Long time lurker, but got the call as well for the January class! Just a couple more steps to go!
ReadySetGo wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for medical clinics? I go to a walk in place downtown, but they charge me a $50 filing fee to get my APREP clearance done.
It really depends on where you go. Both times, one with a family doctor and another walk in (Chinook Medical Clinic), I had my clearance filled out there hasn't been any fees. It all depends on the doctor, your mileage my vary.

ReadySetGo
Rookie Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby ReadySetGo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Good luck to Class #220 who begin their training on Monday!

Jovocop
Rookie Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Jovocop » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Hey all,

Congrats to class #220 for Monday. Be ready to work hard.

I'm posting here because I'm going to be moving out of my place in a few days and thought I would recommend it to anyone who is going to be starting training soon who is from out of town or out of province, like me. It's a basement suite that's really nice, large, and affordable. It's suitable for 1-2 people. There's a gas fireplace so it's warm in the winter, and it stays cool in the summer. The landlord is probably the best I've had, and the only one who I've never had any problems with at all. She's very pro-police and the last 3 people who have lived here have all been officers. The place itself is in 3 district, in the Mount Pleasant area, which itself is a nice place; walking distance to a lot of restaurants and stuff like that. It's also about a 10 or 15 minute drive to Westwinds for training (take Centre to McKnight, then just stay on McKnight until you're there). The only reason I'm leaving is to be closer to my district to reduce driving times, but during training it was really nice being here.

If you're interested in this, let me know via PM and I will send you the contact details for the landlord so you can set up a viewing time, etc.

Murgz
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Murgz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

How are you guys finding the online application process??

I believe Edmonton is going to that sometime next month.
"In mid-February of 2018, we will begin accepting online applications by way of a new provincial policing website."
EPS Application Package - 08/12/2016
ACT and APCAT - completed 09/24/2016
A-PREP - completed 11/7/2016
BDI - completed 12/22/2016
PDI - completed 12/28/2016
Psychological - completed 01/13/2016
Polygraph - completed 02/07/2016
Medical
Background

kpete848
Regular Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby kpete848 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Any out oft owners looking for a reasonably priced place to stay for classes, great area in Calgary and owned by a CPS member as well. PM me and I can talk to my buddy. Good luck all.. Any questions too that I am able to answer I can try and put ya in the right direction

Chris403
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Chris403 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 am

Hey Everyone,

I am curious if anyone knows what the turn around time is with the new online application process. I re-submitted my application after my deferral period expired and am coming up on 4 weeks since I sent in my application. I know with my original application I was contacted within a week of CPS receiving my application. I am sure they probably have a surplus of applications with the ending of the hiring freeze as well, but am starting to wonder if I should follow up with recruiting to make sure they did indeed receive my application.

Any thoughts?

John1991
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby John1991 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

Chris403 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I am curious if anyone knows what the turn around time is with the new online application process. I re-submitted my application after my deferral period expired and am coming up on 4 weeks since I sent in my application. I know with my original application I was contacted within a week of CPS receiving my application. I am sure they probably have a surplus of applications with the ending of the hiring freeze as well, but am starting to wonder if I should follow up with recruiting to make sure they did indeed receive my application.

Any thoughts?
I submitted my paper application just before the beginning of the online one. Date of submission was December 19th. On January 16th, I received an email that my application and that a recruiting officer would be in touch in a few weeks. Did not hear anything since then and starting to wonder as well if I should email them. I gave them a couple of calls but they never answer the phone. Left a voicemail but did not hear anything back... Really hoping for an answer this week.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests