Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jv84
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby Jv84 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Got a call last week that my background has started. Sounds like most if not all of my references have been contacted.
Heard that booking medicals around when background starts is a new thing.

Can anyone tell me about how selection works? I recall reading something in this forum a while back but can't find it.

Also does anyone have any info on upcoming recruit class start dates?

Thanks.

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:26 am

Jv84 wrote:Got a call last week that my background has started. Sounds like most if not all of my references have been contacted.

Can anyone tell me about how selection works? I recall reading something in this forum a while back but can't find it.

Thanks.

One starts January 9th, not sure if it has been completely filled.

modi13
Rookie Member

Postby modi13 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm

I was deferred a few months ago after my BGI, and my file manager said I would be receiving a letter with information regarding the deferral and the re-application process. I never received the letter, and she won't return any of my calls or e-mails, so hopefully someone on here can answer some questions for me.
When I spoke with her, she said that I wouldn't have to redo the testing, and the polygraph would only cover things I've done since my first PEP. Would "testing" only cover the ACT/APCAT, or would it also be the interview and psych test, since I was successful in those the first time? Since the polygraph would only cover new events, would I only have to put new things in the Personal Disclosure Form, or would it all be from scratch again? Is there a way to indicate on the forms that it's my second time in the process?

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:41 pm

modi13 wrote:I was deferred a few months ago after my BGI, and my file manager said I would be receiving a letter with information regarding the deferral and the re-application process. I never received the letter, and she won't return any of my calls or e-mails, so hopefully someone on here can answer some questions for me.
When I spoke with her, she said that I wouldn't have to redo the testing, and the polygraph would only cover things I've done since my first PEP. Would "testing" only cover the ACT/APCAT, or would it also be the interview and psych test, since I was successful in those the first time? Since the polygraph would only cover new events, would I only have to put new things in the Personal Disclosure Form, or would it all be from scratch again? Is there a way to indicate on the forms that it's my second time in the process?

You will have to conduct the entire process over again, CPS retains files during deferral period so when you reapply, they'll know it's your second time.

Also, on the Disclosure it asks "Have you previously applied to other police services? If so provide dates and name of agency."

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:55 am

RedcapCrusader wrote:
Jv84 wrote:Got a call last week that my background has started. Sounds like most if not all of my references have been contacted.

Thanks.

First two classes are full. Third is almost full. Next classes should be expected in Fall or Winter of 2017.

LP89CG
Rookie Member

Postby LP89CG » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:44 am

cityblue wrote:
RedcapCrusader wrote:

Thanks.

interesting.

GooseT404
Rookie Member

Postby GooseT404 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 pm

I am an applicant from BC and was over in Calgary back in August for all the testing.. Got word last week that my background investigation was beginning and just heard today from quite a few references that they have been contacted. I'm not sure what happens next and quite frankly I don't want to jinx myself so I'm not looking to much into it anymore. Just trying to be patient. Goodluck to everyone else!

Berta
Rookie Member

Postby Berta » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Would anyone know the approximate time of each month that the selection panel gets together?

Jv84
Rookie Member

Postby Jv84 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Berta wrote:Would anyone know the approximate time of each month that the selection panel gets together?

Did some digging on this forum last week and found a post that said they meet the last Wednesday of each month.

Ash88
Rookie Member

Postby Ash88 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:06 pm

GooseT404 wrote:I am an applicant from BC and was over in Calgary back in August for all the testing.. Got word last week that my background investigation was beginning and just heard today from quite a few references that they have been contacted. I'm not sure what happens next and quite frankly I don't want to jinx myself so I'm not looking to much into it anymore. Just trying to be patient. Goodluck to everyone else!

Congrats on getting all your testing done! I'm also from BC and flying over next week to do all of mine. Pretty nervous but also excited. Got any advice?

LP89CG
Rookie Member

Postby LP89CG » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 am

Anyone hear back from November selection?

GooseT404
Rookie Member

Postby GooseT404 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 am

Ash88 wrote:
GooseT404 wrote:I am an applicant from BC and was over in Calgary back in August for all the testing.. Got word last week that my background investigation was beginning and just heard today from quite a few references that they have been contacted. I'm not sure what happens next and quite frankly I don't want to jinx myself so I'm not looking to much into it anymore. Just trying to be patient. Goodluck to everyone else!

Congrats on getting all your testing done! I'm also from BC and flying over next week to do all of mine. Pretty nervous but also excited. Got any advice?

Thank you! Goodluck with your trip. The stage that I found the toughest (which I'm sure most applicants do) was the panel interview. Make sure you've got a few examples for each competency. I'm sure you already know that. Take your time with the psych tests and answer honestly even if you think you're giving the wrong answer. Other than that, try and enjoy your trip over. All my tests were first thing in the mornings so I spent many of the afternoons checking out the city and even driving to Banff lol. Also, I highly recommend checking out the Youthlink Museum right inside the west winds building. It's unreal! Your FC will probably take you down there like mine did with me. I spent an hour and a half in there reading every little bit of information about CPS. Goodluck and keep me posted!

Ash88
Rookie Member

Postby Ash88 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:58 pm

GooseT404 wrote:
Ash88 wrote:

Thank you! Goodluck with your trip. The stage that I found the toughest (which I'm sure most applicants do) was the panel interview. Make sure you've got a few examples for each competency. I'm sure you already know that. Take your time with the psych tests and answer honestly even if you think you're giving the wrong answer. Other than that, try and enjoy your trip over. All my tests were first thing in the mornings so I spent many of the afternoons checking out the city and even driving to Banff lol. Also, I highly recommend checking out the Youthlink Museum right inside the west winds building. It's unreal! Your FC will probably take you down there like mine did with me. I spent an hour and a half in there reading every little bit of information about CPS. Goodluck and keep me posted!

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check out the area with any free time. We are looking forward to the trip. Best wishes to you with the rest of the process.

Ash88
Rookie Member

Postby Ash88 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:47 pm

This is probably a silly question but I am coming from out of town to do the APREP and my file manager mentioned that they are discontinuing the APREP orientations for the time being. My question is, before you run the test do they give you a chance to try the machines (push-pull and arm restraint) or do you just run the course right away? Also this is random, but does the dummy have a rope between its feet for you to pull on, or do you drag it by grabbing its ankles or wrists? Just trying to be as prepared as I can, thank you for any information.

ccg25
Rookie Member

Postby ccg25 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Ash88 wrote:This is probably a silly question but I am coming from out of town to do the APREP and my file manager mentioned that they are discontinuing the APREP orientations for the time being. My question is, before you run the test do they give you a chance to try the machines (push-pull and arm restraint) or do you just run the course right away? Also this is random, but does the dummy have a rope between its feet for you to pull on, or do you drag it by grabbing its ankles or wrists? Just trying to be as prepared as I can, thank you for any information.

Before you run the A-Prep, the instructors will walk you through all of the machines and explain everything. You will then be given 10 minutes to practice.

Yes, the dummy has a rope between its legs for you to hold when you are dragging it.
Constable - Calgary Police Service