Calgary Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CPS24

Calgary Police Service

Postby CPS24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Are there any CPS applicants/recruits/constables on here that could answer a couple of questions?

I'm planning to apply to the CPS after I'm done university..to give a realistic timeframe, I'll probably apply in 2 years or so from now. I have a clean driving record, I don't drink or use drugs (never have, never will), and I've never been in any sort of confrontation with the police. Lived in Calgary all my life, and I respect the CPS and all of its members for what they do. Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to be a cop, but its only in the past year or so that I've actually started considering it. I have been on a ride along with the department, and it only hooked me even more. :alright:

Now the bad part...(there HAD to be one, right?) I've had a mild case of asthma since I was a kid, although the only times that I need the inhaler are when I get a cough/sore throat and I'll use it to calm my lungs. Moderate exercise or playing sports with friends recreationally, I never have any problems breathing. If the asthma isn't going to be a problem, I know this will be- I know for a fact right now that I'm currently not physically fit enough to be a police officer. Mind you, I'm not overweight, but I am a slow runner and my endurance isn't that great- partly due to the asthma. :|

Just in case someone asks, yes, I have checked out the CPS Recruiting website, and I am planning to attend an info session.

My #1 question is, how can I prepare myself for the PARE, and the recruit training and job afterwards? From what I've read, you don't need to be the strongest person in the world to pass the PARE, but I haven't actually done it or seen someone do it in person, so I can't tell for sure. I know I've got more questions, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment, so I'll shut up and let some replies come in. 8)

Thanks in advance!
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Re: Calgary Police Service

Postby PHB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:09 pm

I am in the process right now with CPS. I have ran the PARE many times before and in my opinion the best training for the test is to do interval training. What I do (because I live in the country) is run distances and then sprint in between telephone poles. This increases your heart rate and gets you used to running at maximum heart rate for an extended period of time. The logic behind this is that after lap four of the PARE your at max heart rate and if you're not used to training at that level in can be quite difficult. I have also heard that running stairs is a good training method.

As far as your asthma you should call recruiting and talk with an officer there no-one on here can answer specific medical questions.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

CPS24

Postby CPS24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Can I ask, how far are you into the process with CPS?
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

newwestjamie

Postby newwestjamie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 pm

check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCN2xTXo888 to give you an idea of what you're up against. Start running, then run, then run some more. Lift wieghts, then run again. It's the best thing you can do to get ready. As for the athsma being a problem, call and ask a recruiter. They should be more than happy to answer a question like that.

Hired Goon
King Poobah

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 pm

One of my buddies has significant asthma and he passed the PARE with no problems..... and is presently with the mounties.
Hired Goon

username1

Postby username1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 pm

start running/jogging and all sorts of cardio workouts, and maybe practice running the PARE if CPS would allow practice sessions for would-be applicants.

Hired Goon
King Poobah

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 pm

For further inspiration, read the thread about the overwieght smoker who never works out and STILL passed the minimum standards....... :nono:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17648
Hired Goon

CPS24

Postby CPS24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Hired Goon wrote:One of my buddies has significant asthma and he passed the PARE with no problems..... and is presently with the mounties.
That's good to know. At least the asthma is controllable, and I can minimize it's impact on me. But to be honest, I almost feel like I'm using it as an excuse. I don't get a whole lot of exercise, and the stupid part is, I KNOW that I should be! But the asthma isn't ALL that bad...I'll have to start training hard, and just suck it up, take a few breaths or a sip of water, and keep going! :)
username1 wrote:start running/jogging and all sorts of cardio workouts, and maybe practice running the PARE if CPS would allow practice sessions for would-be applicants.
I believe they do..but I do know for a fact they offer PARE orientation sessions where they help you out and show you what you need to do to prepare for the PARE and recruit training. It's almost like an exam that you get the answers to if you go to class! :mrgreen:
Hired Goon wrote:For further inspiration, read the thread about the overwieght smoker who never works out and STILL passed the minimum standards....... :nono:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17648
Ok, if he passed it with a time of 4:44, I should be able to condition myself enough to finish it with time to spare.

Thanks for the replies all! Time to buckle down and start working out! :boxer:
Any other tips anyone can offer, physical testing related or otherwise?
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

GNP

Postby GNP » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 am

The University of Calgary does PARE training. I did it about 18months ago, it was $200 for four one hour sessions (one on one with a trainer). I would recommend the program. :D

RJB
Poobah Overlord

Postby RJB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:44 am

I am a member of CPS.. I'll send you a PM..

CPS24

Postby CPS24 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 am

So I've decided that I'm probably going through with this..I've been on a second ride along, so I think that's as much exposure I can get.

One thing though...I don't plan to apply to the RCMP, Alberta Sheriffs or the EPS. In other words, CPS is the only force I'm really willing to work for. Relocating anywhere else doesn't really work for me.

I know limiting myself to one agency isn't the best thing to do, but I'm not going to apply to other agencies and waste their time, when I'm not going to consider accepting any possible offers. Plus, the CPS isn't going to get jealous; applying to other forces just for the sake of applying isn't going to get me anywhere with CPS.

But on the other hand, will it show loyalty when CPS finds out they are the only force I'm interested in? Or am I possibly setting myself up for a long wait to become a cop?
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm

CPS24 wrote:So I've decided that I'm probably going through with this..I've been on a second ride along, so I think that's as much exposure I can get.

One thing though...I don't plan to apply to the RCMP, Alberta Sheriffs or the EPS. In other words, CPS is the only force I'm really willing to work for. Relocating anywhere else doesn't really work for me.

I know limiting myself to one agency isn't the best thing to do, but I'm not going to apply to other agencies and waste their time, when I'm not going to consider accepting any possible offers. Plus, the CPS isn't going to get jealous; applying to other forces just for the sake of applying isn't going to get me anywhere with CPS.

But on the other hand, will it show loyalty when CPS finds out they are the only force I'm interested in? Or am I possibly setting myself up for a long wait to become a cop?
I don't think that it makes a difference one way or another. If you meet the standards for hiring for CPS they should hire you! When I applied with them I was also in the process with other agencies and my file manager didn't seem to care.

agclarke@istar.ca

bips
Veteran Member

Postby bips » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Does Calgary only hire ex-UK police officers? I read a couple articles on the CPS website mentioning all their recruits in the previous class were from UK (15). With Calgary hiring ex-police officers with 5-10 + yrs of experience, what chance does a new recruit has of being hired? I'm currently debating whether to apply to CPS, EPS or RCMP.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

Springbok

Postby Springbok » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:10 am

we are hiring from all over. Not just ex brits.
There are 2 rules in life:
1.) Never tell anybody everything you know.
2.) .....

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:56 am

bips wrote:Does Calgary only hire ex-UK police officers? I read a couple articles on the CPS website mentioning all their recruits in the previous class were from UK (15). With Calgary hiring ex-police officers with 5-10 + yrs of experience, what chance does a new recruit has of being hired? I'm currently debating whether to apply to CPS, EPS or RCMP.
You should apply at whatever agency that you are willing to work at! It increases your chances of getting hired on. One different thing about CPS than any other agency is that I haven't met a member that doesn't have a complaint about their job. You can't say that about many other agencies.

agclarke@istar.ca