Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Rent-A-Cop
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Rent-A-Cop » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:57 am

Does anyone know what Toronto's weekly shift schedule is?? Also, are they 10hr or 12hr shifts?

Reese
Seasoned Member

Postby Reese » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:33 am

Rent-A-Cop wrote:Does anyone know what Toronto's weekly shift schedule is?? Also, are they 10hr or 12hr shifts?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8754&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Here's a thread about the various schedules being used. TPS is on the first page a few posts from the top.

TPS
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:22 am

IMHO, TPS should recruit more from within the organization ie.courts, parking, communications etc. I know CO's and PEO's that would be faithful to the organization (employed for 5+ years), but are constantly deferred for unknown reasons even if they're in good standing with their supervisors, have good work records, no blemishes on their backgrounds etc. TPS is not only losing PCs due to transfers, but they're losing a lot civilians that are hired as PC's to other services. (Yes, I'm aware that even civilians-gone-PC will still jump ship..)

..but on a lighter note, TPS, I hope your husband is enjoying his new career, even if he's still in training!
He is enjoying training, but feels overloaded...actually a lot of the recruits there sound like they are overloaded. There is so much to learn so they are all studying together at night trying to get the stuff down :( He is a bit stressed and misses us but we all know it's for the best that he is there. There is no way he would be able to study at home with the little one always hanging onto him! None of the guys in his pod have had that chance to "go out on the town" yet, the are too busy with the books. Hopefully the second half will go a lot smoother for them :)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

BG123
Rookie Member

Postby BG123 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi everyone.......just wanted to wish everyone good luck for the April class. I haven' t heard anything from TPS since talking to my BGI in early January. At the time, he informed me he had 20 other files and that I shouldn't expect a phone call from him till atleast the beginning of February. So just be patient everyone!!
Application Dropped Off - October 13, 2008
Interview - Dec 22, 2008
Psych Test - January 15, 2009
BGI - Started January 8, 2009
Psych Interview - April 30, 2009
Home Visit - May 21, 2009
Final Review - ?
Conditional Offer- ?

JC2221
Rookie Member

Postby JC2221 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:32 pm

I have my interview with TPS at 9am tomorrow morning.

I've picked out my best suit, ironed my shirt and shined my shoes. Only a few hours until I start the long and hopefully rewarding process.
TPS Application Process:
Application Submitted: Jan. 14, 2009
Interview: Jan. 30, 2009
MMPI: Feb. 5, 2009
BGI Started: Mar. 19, 2009
Psychological Interview: Mar. 25, 2009
Home Visit: Mar. 23, 2009
Medical: April 4, 2009
Offer: March 26, 2009

psni

Postby psni » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:18 am

JC2221 wrote:I have my interview with TPS at 9am tomorrow morning.

I've picked out my best suit, ironed my shirt and shined my shoes. Only a few hours until I start the long and hopefully rewarding process.
Good Luck!!
faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is an architect of his own fortune

christian
Rookie Member

Postby christian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:11 am

I've been on BG for more than 2 months now and I haven't heard from my BGI for over a month, I want to call them but I hear that they don't like that. I know they are very busy, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on. Is this normal? I have never called my BGI to ask where I stand in the BG, has any of you ever call and got the cold shoulder or they just tell you what's going on. I just don't want to push my luck but at the same time I don't want them to forget me. Also good luck JC.

elespa

Postby elespa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 am

christian wrote:I've been on BG for more than 2 months now and I haven't heard from my BGI for over a month, I want to call them but I hear that they don't like that. I know they are very busy, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on. Is this normal? I have never called my BGI to ask where I stand in the BG, has any of you ever call and got the cold shoulder or they just tell you what's going on. I just don't want to push my luck but at the same time I don't want them to forget me. Also good luck JC.
Refer to the post below...it might clear some things up for you.
BG123 wrote:Hi everyone.......just wanted to wish everyone good luck for the April class. I haven' t heard anything from TPS since talking to my BGI in early January. At the time, he informed me he had 20 other files and that I shouldn't expect a phone call from him till atleast the beginning of February. So just be patient everyone!!

christian
Rookie Member

Postby christian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 am

Thanks Elespa.

marlie006

Postby marlie006 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 am

Don't worry I received the call too, but they have so many applicants its tough to get through them, We all know its a long process and waiting is the hardest part or not knowing whats happening because it is out of our hands ... but keep your head up .. I am sure we will all get the call in soon time
TPS
Application - Nov 2008
Interview - Dec 2008
Psych Test - Dec 2008
BGI - Started Jan 2009
Psych Interview - Feb 2009
Home Visit - March 2009
Board - Offer of Hire - March 2009

christian
Rookie Member

Postby christian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 pm

marlie006 wrote:Don't worry I received the call too, but they have so many applicants its tough to get through them, We all know its a long process and waiting is the hardest part or not knowing whats happening because it is out of our hands ... but keep your head up .. I am sure we will all get the call in soon time
Thanks Marlie, I know I have to wait but when your BG starts in mid Nov. and you don't get any phone call it's kind of a long time to wait. I'll just have to wait and see.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 pm

A lot of the BG Officers are returning from annual leave and are reving up since Christmas holidays.

The crunch right now is for the April 17th class and the mass job offers they have to get through.

Be patient young padawans.

All I can say is keep your physical fitness up.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

BG123
Rookie Member

Postby BG123 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm guessing april 17th is the start date for C.O. Bick, not OPC?
Application Dropped Off - October 13, 2008
Interview - Dec 22, 2008
Psych Test - January 15, 2009
BGI - Started January 8, 2009
Psych Interview - April 30, 2009
Home Visit - May 21, 2009
Final Review - ?
Conditional Offer- ?

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Correct.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

tps80
Rookie Member

Postby tps80 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:33 pm

christian wrote:
marlie006 wrote:Don't worry I received the call too, but they have so many applicants its tough to get through them, We all know its a long process and waiting is the hardest part or not knowing whats happening because it is out of our hands ... but keep your head up .. I am sure we will all get the call in soon time
Thanks Marlie, I know I have to wait but when your BG starts in mid Nov. and you don't get any phone call it's kind of a long time to wait. I'll just have to wait and see.
Hey Christian, I'm in the same boat as you, have been in BG since NOV as well, not sure whats happening...its definetly discouraging, but remember its now completely out of your hands...as mentioned from a previous post, just keep your physical fitness up, and im sure we'll get a call...sooner or later... ;)