Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mrtinfoilman
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:49 am
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby mrtinfoilman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 pm

subbie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am
I got "the call" this morning. So pumped. Will see you giys in Dec!
Congrats! Only call I got this morning was to go buy some peaches and banana. God dammit.

alexgue89
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Kitchener, ON
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby alexgue89 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:23 pm

subbie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am
I got "the call" this morning. So pumped. Will see you guys in Dec!
Congrats
Special Constable

celdur
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby celdur » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:36 am

Does anyone know in the past TPC/OPC classes what kind of minimum you should set for running?

I understand you will likely have to run 5k's quite often during OPC/TPC. Has anyone previously hired had to run more than 10k? If the 10k run still exists at OPC that is.

GreatCanadianGuy
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Seeing lots of people ask about the PIN. Not mandatory at pre-OPC they will schedule a test session at the college before you start training if there is time depending on when you sign.

Post-OPC before graduating and hitting the road everyone does the PIN test.
TPS
2018/08/08 - Application Submitted
2018/09/30 - Written LFI PBQ
2018/10/02 - Interview Mentor Session
2018/10/09 - ECI LFI Interviews
2018/10/12 - MMPI-2
2018/10/16 - Psychological Evaluation
2018/10/22 - Background Complete & Receive Offer

GreatCanadianGuy
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

celdur wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:36 am
Does anyone know in the past TPC/OPC classes what kind of minimum you should set for running?

I understand you will likely have to run 5k's quite often during OPC/TPC. Has anyone previously hired had to run more than 10k? If the 10k run still exists at OPC that is.
Expect a lot of HIIT workouts. Running was largely cut from OPC. No morning runs but there is now a mandatory self guided PT component at OPC with fitness logs.
TPS
2018/08/08 - Application Submitted
2018/09/30 - Written LFI PBQ
2018/10/02 - Interview Mentor Session
2018/10/09 - ECI LFI Interviews
2018/10/12 - MMPI-2
2018/10/16 - Psychological Evaluation
2018/10/22 - Background Complete & Receive Offer

AB_890
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby AB_890 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Could anyone who's had to redo their ECI confirm if the questions are gonna be different the second time?
Had my ECI and LFI but wasn't able to give an example that was approved by the recruiters to the first question in ECi, it was a terrible question tbh and even tho my examples related the two officers didn't think so. The second question was so simple and got accepted right away.
No idea how these guys score the answers :?
Now gotta wait 3 months and hope I don't get the same question because I honestly even still can't place which competency category it fell under...smh
On another note, in your guys opinion, what's more challenging, the ECI component or the LFI after?

Appreciate any comments or feedback

Slovak4188
Rookie Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am

AB_890 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 pm
Could anyone who's had to redo their ECI confirm if the questions are gonna be different the second time?
Had my ECI and LFI but wasn't able to give an example that was approved by the recruiters to the first question in ECi, it was a terrible question tbh and even tho my examples related the two officers didn't think so. The second question was so simple and got accepted right away.
No idea how these guys score the answers :?
Now gotta wait 3 months and hope I don't get the same question because I honestly even still can't place which competency category it fell under...smh
On another note, in your guys opinion, what's more challenging, the ECI component or the LFI after?

Appreciate any comments or feedback
Most people fail the ECI the first time; LFI is much easier as long as you studied.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

celdur
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby celdur » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:01 pm

The best way I found to prepare was take all of the competency categories and think of atleast 2 examples for each category. Then repeat the scenario back to yourself and criticize it.

If you were the interviewer, would you be proud of the scenario that was said to you?

sinanulukanligil
Rookie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby sinanulukanligil » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:29 pm

celdur wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:01 pm
The best way I found to prepare was take all of the competency categories and think of atleast 2 examples for each category. Then repeat the scenario back to yourself and criticize it.

If you were the interviewer, would you be proud of the scenario that was said to you?
This summarizes everything.
Thanks a lot for the tip

AB_890
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby AB_890 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am
AB_890 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 pm
Could anyone who's had to redo their ECI confirm if the questions are gonna be different the second time?
Had my ECI and LFI but wasn't able to give an example that was approved by the recruiters to the first question in ECi, it was a terrible question tbh and even tho my examples related the two officers didn't think so. The second question was so simple and got accepted right away.
No idea how these guys score the answers :?
Now gotta wait 3 months and hope I don't get the same question because I honestly even still can't place which competency category it fell under...smh
On another note, in your guys opinion, what's more challenging, the ECI component or the LFI after?

Appreciate any comments or feedback
Most people fail the ECI the first time; LFI is much easier as long as you studied.
Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.

AB_890
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby AB_890 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm

celdur wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:01 pm
The best way I found to prepare was take all of the competency categories and think of atleast 2 examples for each category. Then repeat the scenario back to yourself and criticize it.

If you were the interviewer, would you be proud of the scenario that was said to you?
Thanks for replying. Yea I did that actually, had been invited to a mentoring session so I had a few examples lined up for each ECI category but unfortunately the question I got confused me a bit and I had a hard time placing it within the correct competency and possibly as a result all 3 of my examples (which I believe were good) were rejected.

elite123
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby elite123 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:46 am

AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm
celdur wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:01 pm
The best way I found to prepare was take all of the competency categories and think of atleast 2 examples for each category. Then repeat the scenario back to yourself and criticize it.

If you were the interviewer, would you be proud of the scenario that was said to you?
Thanks for replying. Yea I did that actually, had been invited to a mentoring session so I had a few examples lined up for each ECI category but unfortunately the question I got confused me a bit and I had a hard time placing it within the correct competency and possibly as a result all 3 of my examples (which I believe were good) were rejected.
I've posted this before, but I think before the server crash. Anyway my suggestion would be to take every competency, think of 2-3 questions they could ask regarding that specific competency, and prepare 3 examples for each of those hypothetical questions. It really takes a while but you'll be well prepared and there will be no surprises come interview time

They will rarely ask you directly to name a time that you have developed yourself and others, so take development, think of all the questions they could ask you about it, and prepare a few examples for each

Good luck!

Slovak4188
Rookie Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm

AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am
AB_890 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 pm
Could anyone who's had to redo their ECI confirm if the questions are gonna be different the second time?
Had my ECI and LFI but wasn't able to give an example that was approved by the recruiters to the first question in ECi, it was a terrible question tbh and even tho my examples related the two officers didn't think so. The second question was so simple and got accepted right away.
No idea how these guys score the answers :?
Now gotta wait 3 months and hope I don't get the same question because I honestly even still can't place which competency category it fell under...smh
On another note, in your guys opinion, what's more challenging, the ECI component or the LFI after?

Appreciate any comments or feedback
Most people fail the ECI the first time; LFI is much easier as long as you studied.
Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.
I passed it twice, i failed it twice. It's not consistent. Depends whom grades the interview. What day it is. Is it sunny? Etc.

Passed one in 2013, failed one each in 2014/2015 and then passed in 2016. I eventually got hired and not with the service i passed once and failed twice with. Best thing that ever happened to me. I much prefer to work here.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

AB_890
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby AB_890 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm
AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am


Most people fail the ECI the first time; LFI is much easier as long as you studied.
Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.
I passed it twice, i failed it twice. It's not consistent. Depends whom grades the interview. What day it is. Is it sunny? Etc.

Passed one in 2013, failed one each in 2014/2015 and then passed in 2016. I eventually got hired and not with the service i passed once and failed twice with. Best thing that ever happened to me. I much prefer to work here.
haha this is honestly too accurate based off what I was told by people I met at YRP when I applied there too. That their actual "marking rubric" that they use to decide who passes and who fails and kinda of a joke.
You failed at TPS? where did you end up applying that you like better? You don't have to share that if you're not comfortable releasing that info though.
Gonna take everyones advice and come up with even more examples for each competency.

User avatar
Wingman19
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:15 am
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Wingman19 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm
AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am


Most people fail the ECI the first time; LFI is much easier as long as you studied.
Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.
I passed it twice, i failed it twice. It's not consistent. Depends whom grades the interview. What day it is. Is it sunny? Etc.

Passed one in 2013, failed one each in 2014/2015 and then passed in 2016. I eventually got hired and not with the service i passed once and failed twice with. Best thing that ever happened to me. I much prefer to work here.
Very persistent and shows resilience. Thanks for sharing that. I just failed my ATS (just the pati) on my first attempt and it stated that I failed to demonstrate the deductive and quantitative reasoning of the PATI which is like Syllogism/travel time tasks and math/problem.

I'm an economics major and I finished the math portion within 5 minutes. Frankly, I had a big grin on my face cause I was excited at how easy the test was and I was completely dumbfounded that I did not "meet standard". I'm probably gonna slow down next time, extremely embarrassing.

I asked one of the ATS fellas and they said its an overall mark which I find hard to believe.

oh well!
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: allinthegame, DK345, Google [Bot], SemrushBot, TeriNB and 5 guests