Page 366 of 387

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:52 am
by devilwoman
The reductions in sworn members will come through attrition, retirements and resignations. There are hundreds of officers who are or will be able to retire in the next few years.

Courts barely can staff as it is and they just put a class through. They need the people.

Benefit/pay reductions can't happen as they've got a signed collective agreement.

In regards to no promotions for 3 years, most are professionals and realize this isn't a reflection on what they bring to the table or the service's opinion of them, its budget. They could still act in a acting role and gain experience.

Is what is happening horrible, especially in light of the current crime trend in Toronto? Most definitely. Can it change? I'd say it can, especially if hundreds of officers start retiring and priority calls sit the the queue for hours.

I would think if numbers drop quickly, you may see classes added.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:11 pm
by rangerDan
devilwoman wrote:The reductions in sworn members will come through attrition, retirements and resignations. There are hundreds of officers who are or will be able to retire in the next few years.

Courts barely can staff as it is and they just put a class through. They need the people.

Benefit/pay reductions can't happen as they've got a signed collective agreement.

In regards to no promotions for 3 years, most are professionals and realize this isn't a reflection on what they bring to the table or the service's opinion of them, its budget. They could still act in a acting role and gain experience.

Is what is happening horrible, especially in light of the current crime trend in Toronto? Most definitely. Can it change? I'd say it can, especially if hundreds of officers start retiring and priority calls sit the the queue for hours.

I would think if numbers drop quickly, you may see classes added.



Honestly, devilwoman, I hope that you're right and the civilian numbers don't drop. I'm currently in the hiring pool for a civilian position and I only want to work in Toronto. It would be awesome if they start calling people up to fill the spots because I know as well that courts has trouble staffing, and there are so many empty spots that need to be filled.

So in light of the new circumstances and budget restrictions, let's just hope that worthy candidates still get their chance at working with TPS.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:58 pm
by Meangreen
Toronto Police seems to be updating their career page as there is now an error message that appears when trying to access it. The error message reads:

"We are currently upgrading our Careers site, to provide you with a better experience. Please check back soon."

Wonder if this may be associated with opening to doors to constable applications.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm
by Toronto1985
Meangreen wrote:Toronto Police seems to be updating their career page as there is now an error message that appears when trying to access it. The error message reads:

"We are currently upgrading our Careers site, to provide you with a better experience. Please check back soon."

Wonder if this may be associated with opening to doors to constable applications.


That would be awesome! But I doubt it.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am
by devilwoman
The recruiting unit is a skeleton staff right now.....recruiters, interviewers, BGIs (most of them) have been put back into rotation at various divisions.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 am
by rangerDan
devilwoman wrote:The recruiting unit is a skeleton staff right now.....recruiters, interviewers, BGIs (most of them) have been put back into rotation at various divisions.


Would you say there will be a hiring binge after the 3 year freeze? I have been hearing from several different sources that the entire service is short staffed and a hiring binge is possible.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm
by Toronto1985
rangerDan wrote:
devilwoman wrote:The recruiting unit is a skeleton staff right now.....recruiters, interviewers, BGIs (most of them) have been put back into rotation at various divisions.


Would you say there will be a hiring binge after the 3 year freeze? I have been hearing from several different sources that the entire service is short staffed and a hiring binge is possible.


When the last freeze ended in 2012 or so, they hired 4-5 classes in a row of around 100 recruits. The last two classes were small. They were pumping them through. And then the current freeze happened. They also had pretty large classes of 911 operators. So yeah, I think it's safe to say that when this current freeze ends, they will probably hire in large numbers again.

But who knows. Anything can happen.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:33 pm
by devilwoman

Would you say there will be a hiring binge after the 3 year freeze? I have been hearing from several different sources that the entire service is short staffed and a hiring binge is possible.


I wish I could say. I know that TPS will lose quite a few to laterals to other services, plus retirements.

Obviously, I'm hopeful for all that the freeze causes the flood gates to open like previous freezes have done.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:23 pm
by TR
Meangreen wrote:Toronto Police seems to be updating their career page as there is now an error message that appears when trying to access it. The error message reads:

"We are currently upgrading our Careers site, to provide you with a better experience. Please check back soon."

Wonder if this may be associated with opening to doors to constable applications.



They are upgrading to new software to handle recruiting/on-line applications, and other HR related stuff. TPS is not hiring at this time.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 pm
by alexgue89
Hopefully in the upgrade you will now be able to apply using something other than Internet Explorer :lol:

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:13 pm
by Toronto1985
Interesting to see the 911 operator posting go up today...

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 am
by rangerDan
I can see that they are hiring civilian again. I wonder if they will be having a look at the court officers as well and auxiliary.

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 am
by Toronto1985

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am
by MasterPlanMan


If they do open up, I'm sure preference (as it should) will go to all of those rescinded job offers from that last class? Except for those who got picked up else where. I wonder how that would work.

Update: Seems John Tory has confirmed it. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-hiring-freeze-lift-1.4240558

Re: Toronto Police Service

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm
by Toronto1985