Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TPS11
Grand Poobah

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby TPS11 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 am

TR wrote:
To1981 wrote:I am still confused by this. The approved budget stated hiring for 2016 in all three intakes. What changed ??

This is the last class for the foreseeable future. TPS is officially on a hiring freeze.
The promotional lists have also been frozen.

If you want to be a police officer, start applying elsewhere.

This... hiring freeze now in affect. Just heard 2017 min for new hires which could be fall 2017..... start applying elsewhere.

dobbsie
Rookie Member

Postby dobbsie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 pm

Received a letter from TPS stating that hiring is complete for 2016 (no surprise). I have attached a photo of the letter for anyone that would like to see it. Good luck everyone!

http://imgur.com/7d2vtye
Applied, OPP-(Mar 2016)
Interview, OPP-(Apr 2016)- Complete
BGI- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Medical- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Vision- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Home Interview, OPP- Complete
Psych/SIGMA, OPP- Complete
PPA/OPC OPP- August, 2016

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:24 pm

well i'm at work today. So ill probably check my mailbox when i get home for that as well.

larderland
Rookie Member

Postby larderland » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 pm

so if they are putting a freeze on then why are they having a police Constable General Information Session tonight at 40 College Street? im giving up something pretty important to attend the gen info session. is it worth going now? they have one booked for end of may also

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:12 pm

larderland wrote:so if they are putting a freeze on then why are they having a police Constable General Information Session tonight at 40 College Street? im giving up something pretty important to attend the gen info session. is it worth going now? they have one booked for end of may also

Well the people attending those usually dont even have their oacp so they are just going there for information. Someone serious about policing would attend the tps info session to get their recruiter.

I also think they scout individuals who are really stellar canidates. For example in one the info sessions i attended there was a lawyer who was looking for a career change.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:53 pm

larderland wrote:so if they are putting a freeze on then why are they having a police Constable General Information Session tonight at 40 College Street? im giving up something pretty important to attend the gen info session. is it worth going now? they have one booked for end of may also

To keep people interested.

Don't give up anything important. They have those info sessions all the time.

dmifflin
Rookie Member

Postby dmifflin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:12 am

allbrancereal wrote:https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/06/15/toronto-police-task-force-urges-hiring-freeze-to-trim-budget.html

Three year freeze??? Guess I'll be applying to most everywhere in Ontario except my home city.

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 am

Yea I also heard that the civilian employment areas are going through a cut as well. Supposedly they are going to try and privatize the court officers as well and cut the ones they currently have. This is nuts.

dt13
Rookie Member

Postby dt13 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:13 am

Bad news for all my friends who wanted TPS :(

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:44 am

Bad news for anyone that lives in Toronto. The crime rate is going to increase.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 am

guess they are going to give the court officer and parking services contract to garda and pay the guys $12 an hour. Budget cuts look good on paper u

That is not correct. You have hundreds of parking officers and court officers combined, they aren't going to lay them all off and hire Garda. If parking moves to the city, they will be paid the same as it's the city. Courts have to stay under TPS.

Moving parking under the city is the equivalent of using Visa to pay off MasterCard. The same taxpayers pay for it, the only difference is now (if it happens) if parking is run by the city it is no longer under TPS budget. This makes the police budget reduce on paper. Smoke and mirrors really, as it's still Toronto taxpayers paying.

As for a freeze, it's happened before and with the amount of retirements set, you can bet once it opens up it'll be good numbers. Many officers I've spoken to were hired in the years after a long freeze and were in massive classes. It happens.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:13 pm

the only real damage from the new "plan" is the freezing of promotions. This is a total morale killer.

boy i can see a lot of good officers transferring out to other forces.

imagine being told at your work, no matter how good of a job you do, you won't be promoted for the next 3 years.