Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Toronto1985 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 pm

[quote="futuretps41"]i spoke with a recruiter over the phone today.
No more classes for 2016.

May will be the last intake.[/

Interesting. And how big is the May intake?
Border Services Officer

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 pm

10 men
6 women.

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm

I wonder if this is having an effect on Court Officers as well.

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm

rangerDan wrote:I wonder if this is having an effect on Court Officers as well.

I don't think so. The recruit class sizes for court, parking, and dispatchers are a total separate budget to the constable hiring.
Border Services Officer

dobbsie
Rookie Member

Postby dobbsie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Toronto1985 wrote:
futuretps41 wrote:i spoke with a recruiter over the phone today.
No more classes for 2016.

May will be the last intake.[/

Interesting. And how big is the May intake?

Strange considering they just had a posting a month ago... Not sure why they would post to hire Recruits in Training if they wont have any more classes for the year. I dont think they posting last month would give enough time for the May intake.
Applied, OPP-(Mar 2016)
Interview, OPP-(Apr 2016)- Complete
BGI- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Medical- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Vision- OPP- (April 2016)- Complete
Home Interview, OPP- Complete
Psych/SIGMA, OPP- Complete
PPA/OPC OPP- August, 2016

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

TPS recruiting is quite detached from actual budget/hiring committee.

Consider the process with Halton as a comparison.

Halton told me specifically, that after passing ECI stage. they will let you know within 12-14 weeks if you are going to be given an offer.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:49 am

10 men
6 women.

Incorrect. 15 - 8 men/7 women

Previous intake was 11 - 7 men/4 women

I wonder if this is having an effect on Court Officers as well.

Civilian hiring is a different stream.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 pm

futuretps41 wrote:TPS recruiting is quite detached from actual budget/hiring committee.

Consider the process with Halton as a comparison.

Halton told me specifically, that after passing ECI stage. they will let you know within 12-14 weeks if you are going to be given an offer.

TPS employment unit is very very unorganized. This is well known. Many TPS members have told me this themselves. That's one of the reasons they don't give you time frames and leave tons of candidates hanging. But they are a very large service so it's somewhat understandable.

Most other services in Ontario, like Halton, will provide you with approximate time frames at any given stage so as to not leave you hanging and waiting endlessly.
Border Services Officer

otwobjj
Rookie Member

Postby otwobjj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 pm

I was told once (a while ago) by a TPS recruiter that they receive 10 applications per day. They reach almost 4k applications per year that they have to go through, these applications come from people who are legitimate and competitive as well as some people who don't even posses the minimal requirements. The TPS recruiting unit has their work cut out for them going through that much applications and selecting as little as 11 for a class...

Other police services go at 300-600 applicants or less. It's easier for these services to create time frames, etc...

The trend I see is that when TPS stops hiring it becomes really competitive everywhere else especially the GTHA. Sooner or later the TPS are going to start hiring in big numbers again. That would be the perfect time to start putting applications in. In the meantime, I will be working on improving my resume.

To1981
Rookie Member

Postby To1981 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm

I am still confused by this. The approved budget stated hiring for 2016 in all three intakes. What changed ??

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:51 pm

I am still confused by this. The approved budget stated hiring for 2016 in all three intakes. What changed ??

There could be less retirements, more restructuring, etc.. Add in the fact that PSB wanted to cut 300-400 officers and there goes the third class. Similar to the Jan 2016 class that started at 144 recruits and ended at 11.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:29 pm

To1981 wrote:I am still confused by this. The approved budget stated hiring for 2016 in all three intakes. What changed ??

Cutbacks.

This is the last class for the foreseeable future. TPS is officially on a hiring freeze.
The promotional lists have also been frozen.

If you want to be a police officer, start applying elsewhere.

pasierbek
Rookie Member

Postby pasierbek » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Does this mean that any callbacks for PBQ's will be later on in the year? If this is a redundant question my bad, new applicant here that applied in February to TPS and fairly new poster on the forums.
"The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Its a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody aint gonna hit as hard as life..."

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:11 pm

pasierbek wrote:Does this mean that any callbacks for PBQ's will be later on in the year? If this is a redundant question my bad, new applicant here that applied in February to TPS and fairly new poster on the forums.

if there is indeed a freeze, which it sounds like there is, then they won't be calling anyone for any steps in the process, until the freeze is over, or close to over. if the freeze is longer than 12 months, then you will have to re-apply since your application is only valid for 12 months.

on the plus side, whenever TPS goes on a freeze, when the freeze is over, they hire in large numbers and move applicants pretty quickly through the process.
Border Services Officer

rangerDan
Rookie Member

Postby rangerDan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:18 pm

Hopefully they aren't in a freeze for too long.