Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

LadyCop
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby LadyCop » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:33 pm

TPS wrote:
Haha that would be cool if you got to train my husband .....What kind of gets me is that I find Toronto hires a lot of people from the outskirts (durham, peel etc)....Why is that? My husband was shocked to find out how many of the recruits don't even live in the city.
I have about 6 friends who work for TPS - and they all live outside the GTA - they just said that they prefer not to live in the area they work in.

On the other hand, my recruiter was mentioning that there were quite a few cops who would work with TPS and then leave to join forces in the outskirts. Maybe it's the same kinda thing - cops from outside GTA transferring into the city?

I personally would not want to patrol the area I live in - if I get hired, I hope to be on the other side of the city.
Lt. Harris: What the hell are you doing here?
Cadet Hooks: I wanna be a police officer.
Lt. Harris: What? I can't hear you-u?
Cadet Hooks: [whispering] I wanna be a police officer.

TPS
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:24 pm

LadyCop wrote:
TPS wrote:
Haha that would be cool if you got to train my husband .....What kind of gets me is that I find Toronto hires a lot of people from the outskirts (durham, peel etc)....Why is that? My husband was shocked to find out how many of the recruits don't even live in the city.
I have about 6 friends who work for TPS - and they all live outside the GTA - they just said that they prefer not to live in the area they work in.

On the other hand, my recruiter was mentioning that there were quite a few cops who would work with TPS and then leave to join forces in the outskirts. Maybe it's the same kinda thing - cops from outside GTA transferring into the city?

I personally would not want to patrol the area I live in - if I get hired, I hope to be on the other side of the city.
If it's for the reason of later transferring why even bother wasting TPS time? Why not just keep trying until you get in? But I do see your point that I'm sure a lot of them don't want to live in the area they patrol for safety reasons.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Reese
Seasoned Member

Postby Reese » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 pm

TPS wrote:
LadyCop wrote:
TPS wrote:

If it's for the reason of later transferring why even bother wasting TPS time
? Why not just keep trying until you get in? But I do see your point that I'm sure a lot of them don't want to live in the area they patrol for safety reasons.
Come on, are you serious? :lol:

TPS
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm

What lol...i don't think it's fair to apply to tps if you really want to be with OPP, and plan on leave tps as soon as your able to.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Tank
Seasoned Member

Postby Tank » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Its a F_____ joke some of the people they hire. I have heard of a few guys that can hardly even speak english. They are to worried of hiring people who fit the makeup of the community then actually hiring the right person.

TorontoCopper wrote:Im training a recruit right now and I literally have uniform shirts that are older than he has time in this country or had a drivers licence.

Im not sure he even knows what city he is in, but he can speak two rare dialects of another language.

marlie006

Postby marlie006 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 pm

I don't understand how someone who can barely speak english is going to help a domestic ... I would think it would anger the people more not know what the constable is saying to them
TPS
Application - Nov 2008
Interview - Dec 2008
Psych Test - Dec 2008
BGI - Started Jan 2009
Psych Interview - Feb 2009
Home Visit - March 2009
Board - Offer of Hire - March 2009

elespa

Postby elespa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:59 pm

marlie006 wrote:I don't understand how someone who can barely speak english is going to help a domestic ... I would think it would anger the people more not know what the constable is saying to them
I'm afraid that this is very true. I guess they're banking on that person to be able to get to the domestics that perhaps speak the language that they do too.

marlie006

Postby marlie006 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:24 pm

maybe? but how often would that happen?
TPS
Application - Nov 2008
Interview - Dec 2008
Psych Test - Dec 2008
BGI - Started Jan 2009
Psych Interview - Feb 2009
Home Visit - March 2009
Board - Offer of Hire - March 2009

elespa

Postby elespa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:37 pm

marlie006 wrote:maybe? but how often would that happen?
My thoughts exactly. Odds are slim to none.

pukie
King Poobah

Postby pukie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Last edited by pukie on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Domestics are now 8 out of 10 calls.
In Scarborough, domestics are in every language but english...
Ching-lish???
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Kind of curious what your policy is in TO for domestics. Perhaps chat about it in the PO forum or via PM?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

elespa

Postby elespa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:31 am

pukie wrote:
elespa wrote:
marlie006 wrote:maybe? but how often would that happen?
My thoughts exactly. Odds are slim to none.

In Scarborough, domestics are in every language but english... :banghead:
Though that may be true, being able to speak a 'rare dialect' very well and English poorly may not be the best choice for a candidate. I am but a pawn in this game so take what I say with a grain or two of salt; at the end of the day it's what the recruiters are looking for/want.

TR
King Poobah

Postby TR » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:59 am

TPS wrote:
What lol...i don't think it's fair to apply to tps if you really want to be with OPP, and plan on leave tps as soon as your able to.

Because, like any other employer... TPS should be a competitive employer to keep their employees. Why would a police officer be loyal to his employer when his employer is not loyal to him/her?

People need jobs and need to get paid... if TPS wants to keep people they have to make the job in Toronto more attractive than other areas. Until they do, people will continue to just use them to get to where they want to go.

Reese
Seasoned Member

Postby Reese » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 am

TR wrote:
TPS wrote:

Because, like any other employer... TPS should be a competitive employer to keep their employees. Why would a police officer be loyal to his employer when his employer is not loyal to him/her?

People need jobs and need to get paid... if TPS wants to keep people they have to make the job in Toronto more attractive than other areas. Until they do, people will continue to just use them to get to where they want to go.
Agreed.

IMHO, TPS should recruit more from within the organization ie.courts, parking, communications etc. I know CO's and PEO's that would be faithful to the organization (employed for 5+ years), but are constantly deferred for unknown reasons even if they're in good standing with their supervisors, have good work records, no blemishes on their backgrounds etc. TPS is not only losing PCs due to transfers, but they're losing a lot civilians that are hired as PC's to other services. (Yes, I'm aware that even civilians-gone-PC will still jump ship..)

..but on a lighter note, TPS, I hope your husband is enjoying his new career, even if he's still in training!