Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

TPS
King Poobah

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby TPS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 pm

OntarioFiveOh wrote:Miiiiight wanna look around TorontoCopper. Pukie could be working in the same division as you as it is! ;) haha
LOL funny I was reading this thread and thought for a minute the exact same thing :rolllaugh:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:26 am

Respond Wayne wrote:
pukie wrote:
TorontoCopper wrote:You better know our core values and mission statement by heart.
Core values...what the hell are they?
Something to do with apples?

Oh, I know... "To Serve and Protect"... yeah, that's them... :mrgreen:
Oh heavens no. They make it much harder than that.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

ERnurse2PC
Grand Poobah

Postby ERnurse2PC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 am

psni wrote:its pretty funny some of the questions that are asked at these info sessions. I have to wonder why they are there if they are asking ridiculous questions!
PSNI
I watched the recruiters' faces - and you cold see them thinking - ummmmm big fat X on that applicant LOL
‎"You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 am

To some people people Policing is just a job with benefits. Others its a calling and had to work hard to get on.

I see a lot more people come on that its just a job for the next few years and then leave.

Sortof bothers me because they take spots away from other people who are more deserving and will stick it out until retirement.

Im not the best cop in the world, but I know I do a good job, and despite getting into ruts sometimes, I love it and there is nothing else that even remotely interests me as a career or lifestyle.

I wouldnt do well in recruiting. Big Red Marker!
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

TPS
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 am

TorontoCopper wrote:To some people people Policing is just a job with benefits. Others its a calling and had to work hard to get on.

I see a lot more people come on that its just a job for the next few years and then leave.

Sortof bothers me because they take spots away from other people who are more deserving and will stick it out until retirement.

Im not the best cop in the world, but I know I do a good job, and despite getting into ruts sometimes, I love it and there is nothing else that even remotely interests me as a career or lifestyle.

I don't understand people like that....Especially after working sooo hard to get where they are, and then dealing with OPC. My husband was lucky to get in on his first try, but he never considered it a "job"....more like a career/calling. Sounds lame, but I think it is true that this job is better suited for some then others....
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Im training a recruit right now and I literally have uniform shirts that are older than he has time in this country or had a drivers licence.

Im not sure he even knows what city he is in, but he can speak two rare dialects of another language.

pukie
King Poobah

Postby pukie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Last edited by pukie on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPS
King Poobah

Postby TPS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:Im training a recruit right now and I literally have uniform shirts that are older than he has time in this country or had a drivers licence.

Im not sure he even knows what city he is in, but he can speak two rare dialects of another language.
Haha that would be cool if you got to train my husband .....What kind of gets me is that I find Toronto hires a lot of people from the outskirts (durham, peel etc)....Why is that? My husband was shocked to find out how many of the recruits don't even live in the city.
Bertrand Russell

LadyCop
Rookie Member

Postby LadyCop » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 pm

ERnurse2PC wrote:
LadyCop wrote:
ERnurse2PC wrote:Hi its me - I am planning on applying in June this year after I get my OACP - hopefully to go in September 2009 if all goes well :)
Girl, this is my testing date! I originally scheduled May but moved it to June 13, 2009.

I plan to start the application process to TPS after I get my OACP. I attended an info session last night, and had a REALLY good half-hour chat with a recruiter today, and registered to the female-only Prep session at the end of the month. I can't wait to see how *unfit* I am - LOL

Good luck everyone! :thumbsup:
I was there too lady cop!! Where were you sitting? hahha I had to laugh at the russian guy asking if they would supply his shoes and gym clothing for the test :roll: :crazy: LMAO
OMG, that made me laugh out loud! I don't know how many times the recruiters kept telling him "bring your gym clothes", " dress in your workout clothes".. :lol:

I was sitting a few rows from the top, closer to the door. Hey did you ask a question about CPR? I swore the person said they were an ER nurse! Did you talk to a recruiter?
Lt. Harris: What the hell are you doing here?
Cadet Hooks: I wanna be a police officer.
Lt. Harris: What? I can't hear you-u?
Cadet Hooks: [whispering] I wanna be a police officer.

its me
Rookie Member

Postby its me » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:18 pm

TorontoCopper wrote:To some people people Policing is just a job with benefits. Others its a calling and had to work hard to get on.

I agree with you on that one, it's not a job,it's more than that, I have been trying for more than 2 years and still going at it, I'm on BG with TPS and hopefully I will get in this time. People that do this job for the pay and benefits should think of something else, I have a good paying job and benefits but I want to thank this country and city,help the people like they helped me when I moved here 12 years ago.

marlie006

Postby marlie006 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:14 am

I have to agree this is way more than just a "job" this is your life ... I have been trying for 3 years and every year I get more competitive but I had to take a less paying job in security to purse my career and I would make even more sacrifices if it meant that one day I would be in uniform.
TPS
Application - Nov 2008
Interview - Dec 2008
Psych Test - Dec 2008
BGI - Started Jan 2009
Psych Interview - Feb 2009
Home Visit - March 2009
Board - Offer of Hire - March 2009

dfione1
Rookie Member

Postby dfione1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am

Does anybody know when TPS does job offers? Do they wait for a certain date or until they have so many offers before they start making "the call"?? Just curious.
Applied TPS - Nov '08
Interview - Dec '08
MMPI - Dec '08
BGI started - Jan '09
Psych Interview - Jan '09
Home Visit - Jan '09
Offer/Letter - Feb, 09

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 am

They can call you the night before CO Bick starts.

When I went to CO Bick there were guys calling their jobs and quitting on the break because they were called the night before and made a job offer.

marlie006

Postby marlie006 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 pm

would they make the call like that if someone pulls out and your next on the list? or is it because they have spots to fill?
TPS
Application - Nov 2008
Interview - Dec 2008
Psych Test - Dec 2008
BGI - Started Jan 2009
Psych Interview - Feb 2009
Home Visit - March 2009
Board - Offer of Hire - March 2009

dfione1
Rookie Member

Postby dfione1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for "the call" or "the letter" with TPS. Everything in the process is completed.
Applied TPS - Nov '08
Interview - Dec '08
MMPI - Dec '08
BGI started - Jan '09
Psych Interview - Jan '09
Home Visit - Jan '09
Offer/Letter - Feb, 09