Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby mack_silent » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am

Why are people with "no life experience" and "poor attitudes" getting hired?
Those should be two easy to identify traits in an interview.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Why are people with "no life experience" and "poor attitudes" getting hired?
Those should be two easy to identify traits in an interview.

The poor attitude is easy to cover up during an interview. Very easy. Fake it till you make it.

With some practice and fine tuning of interview skills, people can also easily hide the lack of life skills/experience through preparation. Some may even use services that help them prepare for the interview.

It's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 pm

That's unfortunate about interviews. I really wish there were better ways to find the best applicant possible.
I bet it's hard on the existing members to have new ones come along that aren't as passionate or competent.

mistero
Rookie Member

Postby mistero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 am

A.T.R. wrote:
Inquisitive2011 wrote:
Are we getting personal already? Or are you just having a bad day? If thats the case may I buy you a coffee or perhaps something stronger to spice it up a bit? :drinking:

Sorry little boy. Coffee I don't drink a lot of. And I abstain from alcohol.

Not personal at all. But remember I have the job you will never have.

You guys sound like Whitney little bitches fearing your resume might not make the cut.

This is reality. Deal with it. Millennial fucktards applying and getting on have destroyed our service.

No life experience. In debt from some woman's study university course. And anti-everything.

Have never been in a fight. Can't Fight. And apply with beards and man-buns.

Damn guy...you are fragile! When did you get like that?

Get a grip on yourself will ya!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm

88)
Last edited by A.T.R. on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

alexander10
Rookie Member

Postby alexander10 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Anyone know when the posting may be up?

Toronto1985
Rookie Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

alexander10 wrote:Anyone know when the posting may be up?

It's up now. Deadline is October 13.
Border Services Officer

Diatomic
Rookie Member

Postby Diatomic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Goodluck to everyone applying. Really wanted to apply but I won't be getting my OACP till November...

Im guessing this is 80 for one intake, good solid number if it is.

JakeWood
Rookie Member

Postby JakeWood » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

A.T.R. wrote:
Inquisitive2011 wrote:
Are we getting personal already? Or are you just having a bad day? If thats the case may I buy you a coffee or perhaps something stronger to spice it up a bit? :drinking:

You guys sound like Whitney little bitches fearing your resume might not make the cut.

This is reality. Deal with it. Millennial fucktards applying and getting on have destroyed our service.

No life experience. In debt from some woman's study university course. And anti-everything.

Millennial with no life experience versus what? Baby boomers like yourself with horrible attitudes? Guess which one sounds better. Does it upset you that your apart of a dying breed that will cease to exist within the next 10-15 years?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:44 pm

JakeWood wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:
Inquisitive2011 wrote:

Millennial with no life experience versus what? Baby boomers like yourself with horrible attitudes? Guess which one sounds better. Does it upset you that your apart of a dying breed that will cease to exist within the next 10-15 years?

IMO, The inability to handle oneself or protect a coworker is far worse than an occasional grumpy attitude.
Either way, as long as my coworkers are capable and motivated, then their age doesn't matter to me.

Still begs the question, how are people getting hired that lack life experience or aren't ideal fits?
There's 1000's of people applying... the people hired should be the best of this pool. If they aren't, then maybe recruiting needs an overhaul.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

JakeWood wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:
Inquisitive2011 wrote:

You're*

And he isn't bitter, he is honest. Don't confuse the two.
K division.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 pm

His 'attitude' comes from years of dedicated and (as apparent here) thankless service. His complaints about people he's expected to trust with his life is, I don't doubt, warranted.

Seeing as all your POTENTIALLY future bosses, mentors and IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH training officers will be of this generation, you should mind what you say and reconsider how you think.

That dying breed are the salt of the earth when it comes to this job.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 am

Does it upset you that your apart of a dying breed that will cease to exist within the next 10-15 years?

The truth of the matter is that his "breed" is the sort that is drastically needed on our police services. I have the honour of knowing him personally and I can honestly that he's the type of guy you want on your team and who will back you, even when the shift ends. He comes off harsh, but after umpteen years of being on the street, you tend to tell it like it is. Sometimes you want to hear it, sometimes you don't. I've had both situations with ATR and, as much as he tells you stuff you don't want to hear, you're grateful he was honest because it sets you straight.

And yes, millennials are a problem.....not because the year they were born in, but because of the prevalent attitude they seem to have been raised in. The "entitlement" attitude specifically. I will say that not all are guilty of it, nor are they the only ones to have it, but from my experience of dealing with that "generation" it appears to be a more predominant trait. Entitlement, overall, appears to be the biggest trend booming right now and it's leading people to believe they are owed all sorts of things, because they met criteria or simply because they believe life owes them. This causes problems in a LE environment because rank and file, seniority, "been there done that" is equated to respect and being given access to certain things; preferred shift start times, first name basis with Sgts, Dets, etc., not having to write the reports when partnered with someone junior.....you get the idea.

Passing the tests, sustaining good employment, getting an education, that gives you a chance to go through a process....does not entitle one to a job. Getting hired, going through OPC, getting your tin....that doesn't earn you respect. That earns you a pay cheque. Showing up everyday, doing the bare minimum, etc., doesn't earn you respect....that earns you a pay cheque.

Being respectful, understanding you're going to get stuck with the crappy details a lot when you're junior and just dealing with it, being friendly and not walking around with a chip, taking criticism and (even when you may not agree) listening to it, not expecting to have the same treatment as a 15/20/25 year guy/gal, doing your job, being able to take a joke and, basically, not being an overly sensitive, whiny, lazy person....that will help you gain respect.....over time. It's not instant.

This is all things that seem to be forgotten by many and it irks guys like ATR.

As for how people like this get hired.....I said it before, they play the game. It's not because recruiters are stupid or the process is flawed, it just happens sonetimes. People fake their love for their spouses, fake their like for a coworker, fake their lives on IG and FB....not unreasonable to see them faking their attitude in a job interview.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm

From training staff (in a different industry), I found the best feeling was when you finally get that perfect new hire.
This ideal person asks good questions, absorbs knowledge like a sponge, and listens to basic instructions.
Training them feels LESS like babysitting and MORE like you're a safety net and guide for their learning.

This ideal person shows up early, motivated, and ready to learn.
Months down the road, they are one of the most talented coworkers on the team.
This person makes all the effort worthwhile.

One of the best people I ever trained had the least experience entering into the workplace. But his positive attitude made the difference.
Through his hardwork, commitment to learning, and careful listening to experienced coworkers, he was able to excel.
For all new hires, be this person. For all trainers, have the faith that you can guide people into becoming this person.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Does it upset you that your apart of a dying breed that will cease to exist within the next 10-15 years?

The truth of the matter is that his "breed" is the sort that is drastically needed on our police services. I have the honour of knowing him personally and I can honestly that he's the type of guy you want on your team and who will back you, even when the shift ends. He comes off harsh, but after umpteen years of being on the street, you tend to tell it like it is. Sometimes you want to hear it, sometimes you don't. I've had both situations with ATR and, as much as he tells you stuff you don't want to hear, you're grateful he was honest because it sets you straight.

And yes, millennials are a problem.....not because the year they were born in, but because of the prevalent attitude they seem to have been raised in. The "entitlement" attitude specifically. I will say that not all are guilty of it, nor are they the only ones to have it, but from my experience of dealing with that "generation" it appears to be a more predominant trait. Entitlement, overall, appears to be the biggest trend booming right now and it's leading people to believe they are owed all sorts of things, because they met criteria or simply because they believe life owes them. This causes problems in a LE environment because rank and file, seniority, "been there done that" is equated to respect and being given access to certain things; preferred shift start times, first name basis with Sgts, Dets, etc., not having to write the reports when partnered with someone junior.....you get the idea.

Passing the tests, sustaining good employment, getting an education, that gives you a chance to go through a process....does not entitle one to a job. Getting hired, going through OPC, getting your tin....that doesn't earn you respect. That earns you a pay cheque. Showing up everyday, doing the bare minimum, etc., doesn't earn you respect....that earns you a pay cheque.

Being respectful, understanding you're going to get stuck with the crappy details a lot when you're junior and just dealing with it, being friendly and not walking around with a chip, taking criticism and (even when you may not agree) listening to it, not expecting to have the same treatment as a 15/20/25 year guy/gal, doing your job, being able to take a joke and, basically, not being an overly sensitive, whiny, lazy person....that will help you gain respect.....over time. It's not instant.

This is all things that seem to be forgotten by many and it irks guys like ATR.

As for how people like this get hired.....I said it before, they play the game. It's not because recruiters are stupid or the process is flawed, it just happens sonetimes. People fake their love for their spouses, fake their like for a coworker, fake their lives on IG and FB....not unreasonable to see them faking their attitude in a job interview.

This should be a sticky.

ATR is one of the finest police officers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. If he is a dying breed, then I hope I die out with them.

I run into the "I deserve a job, as soon as we get those old dinosaurs out of there," all the time. But it was those old dinosaurs (like me) who have learned from the mistakes of the past; will keep you alive and will teach you how to work as a team - no matter how much you do or don't like your teammates - and how to respect people as human beings. I can spend up to 40 hours with potential applicants, and one of the things I learned years ago is that you can tell a LOT about their future as a recruit by how they conduct themselves during firearms training.

The best ones are those who sit and listen; absorb like a sponge and do exactly what you say.

The worst are the entitled generation who played games, took a shorty CFSC, hold the handgun like it's a teacup, and think they know everything. They are the ones who wave it around like its a phaser on Star Trek, let it dangle from their side and already know everything.

The SMART ones know that they may or may not know much about firearms training but they are sure as heck going to listen to the "old" people in a young person's game. They also know that firearms is the one skill that gets more recruits bounced than any other single factor in police college. Some of the best students I have ever had came in with zero experience. Some came with a lot. But the biggest single factor on how well they will do in the future was their ATTITUDE.

And, right now, the ones who think people like ATR are a dying breed ... will BE the dying breed, at least in getting in to those police colleges of the future.

And, quite frankly, if that is their attitude, it's not much of a loss. I know a hundred great students who would gladly take their place and will spend the rest of their lives keeping us safe day and night.