Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Northmenapplicant
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby Northmenapplicant » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:24 pm

I got a call for an interview in Calgary this coming friday! Excited!

Anybody have any interview advice for me?

Also does anyone have any clue as to how many Sheriffs are being hired this round?

thanks!

Northmenapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby Northmenapplicant » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 am

Does anyone have an idea when the next job posting will be? Sometime in the next few months I imagine? Almost got in last time, hoping to get through this next round!

I'm also trying to schedule it so I don't have to do the PARE more than once for the application process, I need to save all my vacation days for interviews and other things as well.

If I did the PARE test for March, think that would cover long enough for them to accept applications?

ABFarmer
Rookie Member

Postby ABFarmer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am

Greetings and thank you for letting me in on this forum.

After a very successful career in the Armed Forces, I’m looking forward to some geographical and family stability as well as a overall change of pace (55-60 hr weeks and 4-7 months away annually). Coming across the Sheriff’s website, my interest was piqued as a potential second career.

I have visited the Sheriff’s website, saw a couple of relevant YouTube videos and came across this forum. Paring through the 100 pages of this thread, there is certainly a lot of useful information, but there has not been any update in nearly 2 years.

Would any insiders please provide any update on recruiting for jobs in the Edmonton area?

Perhaps a more personal question, but would I be considered unfavourably as a 40-something year old, senior officer veteran of the CAF in an unrelated trade?

Finally, if I may, why do people chose the AB Sheriffs over the RCMP or EPS/CPS? As an older individual who has had more than his share of excitement over the years, it seems like the Sheriffs would offer a quieter pace but this answer could come across as uniformed and condescending during an interview.

Thank you in advance.

Gizzmo980
Rookie Member

Postby Gizzmo980 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Is anyone else going to the training on July 20th?

FASANIMAL
Rookie Member

Postby FASANIMAL » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Gizzmo980 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Is anyone else going to the training on July 20th?
I'll be seeing you there!