Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CoreyCor
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby CoreyCor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm

noletd wrote:
anothernumber wrote:
CoreyCor wrote:Just curious if anyone has heard anything back yet after the last round of interviews for the Calgary/Edmonton competition?

Nothing yet, I also know another applicant and they haven't heard anything either. Enjoy the waiting game! All apart of the process!

I just got a call today from my recruiter letting me know i wasn't selected to move forward, but she gave me some good interview tips for next time. Hopefully they have another competition soon
I appreciate the update and I'm sorry to hear about the news. But stay positive and take those tips you received and here's hoping for a more favourable outcome next round!

S_LinHo
Rookie Member

Postby S_LinHo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm

I noticed that one of the sheriffs has a cross pistol badge on her uniform.

Is this attainable in recruit training? If so, what is the score required to get it?

Thanks

mdh602
Rookie Member

Postby mdh602 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 am

S_LinHo wrote:I noticed that one of the sheriffs has a cross pistol badge on her uniform.

Is this attainable in recruit training? If so, what is the score required to get it?

Thanks
There’s 3 levels, Silver Gold and Gold 100. It’s based on shot placement and is attainable during recruit training.

YYChumane
Rookie Member

Postby YYChumane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Received an email stating the the interviews have concluded, and that I'm still being considered. The waiting continues!

S_LinHo
Rookie Member

Postby S_LinHo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

mdh602 wrote:
S_LinHo wrote:I noticed that one of the sheriffs has a cross pistol badge on her uniform.

Thanks
There’s 3 levels, Silver Gold and Gold 100. It’s based on shot placement and is attainable during recruit training.
Thanks!

What is the testing like exactly? Is there some dynamic shooting or is it all static?

Correct me if I'm wrong., I'm assuming Gold 100 is cross pistol with crown, Gold is cross pistols and Silver is a... pass?

mdh602
Rookie Member

Postby mdh602 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:36 am

S_LinHo wrote:
mdh602 wrote:

Thanks
Thanks!

What is the testing like exactly? Is there some dynamic shooting or is it all static?

Correct me if I'm wrong., I'm assuming Gold 100 is cross pistol with crown, Gold is cross pistols and Silver is a... pass?
Static. Gold 100 = gold cross pistols with crown, gold = gold cross pistols, silver = silver cross pistols. Pass is a pass, you don’t get anything.

justintime0101
Rookie Member

Postby justintime0101 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Anybody know when the next competition will be going up?

Sierra Tango22
Sage Member

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

justintime0101 wrote:Anybody know when the next competition will be going up?
The way it's going.... I would say late fall.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

YYChumane
Rookie Member

Postby YYChumane » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am

I have been signed up for my psych test! Getting pretty pumped. Has anyone else heard anything?

anothernumber
Rookie Member

Postby anothernumber » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:20 pm

YYChumane wrote:I have been signed up for my psych test! Getting pretty pumped. Has anyone else heard anything?

Right on! Yes did my Phsyc exam on June 27 with 4 other candidates. Now it's a waiting game. Good luck!

YYChumane
Rookie Member

Postby YYChumane » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 pm

anothernumber wrote:
YYChumane wrote:I have been signed up for my psych test! Getting pretty pumped. Has anyone else heard anything?

Right on! Yes did my Phsyc exam on June 27 with 4 other candidates. Now it's a waiting game. Good luck!
Thank you, and good luck to you as well!

S_LinHo
Rookie Member

Postby S_LinHo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Question about training at the Staff College

How was it? Was it extremely busy? Mon - Fri 8-4 schedule?

Heard the legal portion isn't too bad if you went through CPO training...any truth to that?

Thanks

YYChumane
Rookie Member

Postby YYChumane » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Just signed off on my offer letter! Very excited to start at the academy, and I have that classic "out of the furnace / into the oven" feeling. Any last minute words of wisdom, tips, exercise/workouts, etc. that any current members have to offer?

GeeGee
Veteran Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm

YYChumane wrote:Just signed off on my offer letter! Very excited to start at the academy, and I have that classic "out of the furnace / into the oven" feeling. Any last minute words of wisdom, tips, exercise/workouts, etc. that any current members have to offer?
don't say "yeah I know" during training...don't get discouraged by first year or so of your career...build the foundation, get to know the job...don't feed into negativity, stay positive...establish a good reputation for yourself...always remember EVERYONE (well almost lol) starts in courts then goes on to the road...and then get on courses (EPU, traffic, surveillance, scan) and even smaller opportunities (instructing, leadership roles etc.) ...it can be as painful or as rewarding as you want it to be...ALOT of people see this as a stepping stone to policing...with recent changes in our Branch as well as legislation in the Province...we are more in the public eye, more funding, more opportunities...people that are stuck in the old way of thinking-remain in the past. good luck
CPPS

YYChumane
Rookie Member

Postby YYChumane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:14 am

GeeGee wrote:
YYChumane wrote:Just signed off on my offer letter! Very excited to start at the academy, and I have that classic "out of the furnace / into the oven" feeling. Any last minute words of wisdom, tips, exercise/workouts, etc. that any current members have to offer?
don't say "yeah I know" during training...don't get discouraged by first year or so of your career...build the foundation, get to know the job...don't feed into negativity, stay positive...establish a good reputation for yourself...always remember EVERYONE (well almost lol) starts in courts then goes on to the road...and then get on courses (EPU, traffic, surveillance, scan) and even smaller opportunities (instructing, leadership roles etc.) ...it can be as painful or as rewarding as you want it to be...ALOT of people see this as a stepping stone to policing...with recent changes in our Branch as well as legislation in the Province...we are more in the public eye, more funding, more opportunities...people that are stuck in the old way of thinking-remain in the past. good luck
Wicked! Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to sponging up as much information as I can during training.

Does anyone know if there is wifi/internet there, and if bringing electronics for usage after class is frowned upon? Or is it best to leave the laptop at home while staying at the academy? I'm not glued to my computer by any stretch, but I figure there is a possibility that there may not be a lot to do once training is over for the day.