Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby Hattie » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:03 pm

tenacity wrote:Verbal for Edmonton Law Courts pending successful psych evaluation.

Congratz! Once you are out there, you might see me once in a blue moon during jury selection... :thumbsup:
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:24 pm

anyone else got an offer?
CPPS

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Still waiting...last email I got was mid Sept. advising that selections would be completed end Sept. I haven't gotten word that I'm not going ahead, so remaining tentatively positive. Maybe hopeful is a better word.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:44 pm

ThePants wrote:Still waiting...last email I got was mid Sept. advising that selections would be completed end Sept. I haven't gotten word that I'm not going ahead, so remaining tentatively positive. Maybe hopeful is a better word.

what location... edmonton?
CPPS

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:36 pm

I picked Calgary, Drumheller, Red Deer, not that I have an issue working nothern locations, god knows I get enough time up north with MB Sheriffs, just focused on southern locations. I did talk to a lurker here that was eliminated after choosing one location, hopefully things go my way. If I had been a bit more Johnny on the spot I would have asked in my interview if "all of the above" was an appropriate answer to where I wanted to work. I want to work in AB. Oh well, we'll see by end of Sept, so sayeth the email.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm

ThePants wrote:I picked Calgary, Drumheller, Red Deer, not that I have an issue working nothern locations, god knows I get enough time up north with MB Sheriffs, just focused on southern locations. I did talk to a lurker here that was eliminated after choosing one location, hopefully things go my way. If I had been a bit more Johnny on the spot I would have asked in my interview if "all of the above" was an appropriate answer to where I wanted to work. I want to work in AB. Oh well, we'll see by end of Sept, so sayeth the email.

heard that Calg and Red deer were filled...then I know one spot was freed up for red deer due to failed psych...spots were limited for those two spots 3 and 2 ... i personally only mentioned 1 preference since i chose to be honest and not waste HRs time down the road if it came down to it
CPPS

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Ah well, thanks for the info. If it doesn't work out this time I'll definitely try again in the future.

tenacity
Rookie Member

Postby tenacity » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:47 am

GeeGee wrote:anyone else got an offer?

I have my offer.

Mjs87
Rookie Member

Postby Mjs87 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:37 pm

I have recently successfully completed my SOPAT test and the next step in the coming weeks will be the interview. I was told to review online about behavioral competencies. Is there any advice or insight you can give towards what the interview will be like, or any other things I should look into prior to the interview? Thanks!

Warren21
Rookie Member

Postby Warren21 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Mjs87 wrote:I have recently successfully completed my SOPAT test and the next step in the coming weeks will be the interview. I was told to review online about behavioral competencies. Is there any advice or insight you can give towards what the interview will be like, or any other things I should look into prior to the interview? Thanks!

for BC or Alberta? sounds like BC
Warren
AB Sheriff

Mjs87
Rookie Member

Postby Mjs87 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Yes it is BC, but I would assume the interview questions and process should be similar? Any extra information or insight would help. Thanks

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:48 am

About two thirds down the page in the main applicants board is a thread for BC. Try PMing one of them. Having interviewed in both AB and MB sheriffs, I would advise you not to assume that the interviews will necessarily be similar.

modi13
Rookie Member

Postby modi13 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:32 pm

Does hiring happen on a fairly regular basis, or is it pretty arbitrary depending on need? I'm trying to figure out when to schedule my PARE, and I don't want to wait so long that I miss the next round or so early that it expires before hiring starts.

Duke878
Rookie Member

Postby Duke878 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:39 pm

I sent in my application 2nd week of September but haven't heard anything back.. anyone else in the same boat?

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

modi13 wrote:Does hiring happen on a fairly regular basis, or is it pretty arbitrary depending on need? I'm trying to figure out when to schedule my PARE, and I don't want to wait so long that I miss the next round or so early that it expires before hiring starts.

Hiring is done as-needed. There isnt really a schedule, and the pace of recruit classes has changed as the funding and vacancies do. Unless you're somewhere out of province or remote, and PARE's are hard to schedule, I'd just save your money and wait until positions are advertised. If you're keeping an eye on the openings, you'll have enough notice to get it done when you need it.