Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KJC33
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby KJC33 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey,

Quick question, has anyone on here had experience with being an out-of-provience applicant? Or any knowledge of the process? If so can you please PM me!

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:
mPI wrote:
Nope. Infidelity is 90% of our work, some insurance, some corporate mixed in when we feel like taking it. I essentially work out of my vehicle and have worked throughout urban and rural Alberta obtaining mostly video, some physical evidence. I've done cooperative operations where we tail subjects in a group, foot surveillance where we are set up at different points in an area. I'm aware that most people claim investigator when they're just an LPO with an investigator license, but I'm the real deal. You'd call me a detective if we were in the states.
Surveillance is in essence, the same, it doesn't matter who you work for. Get the evidence and don't get caught. Admin, sorry this derailed thread.

Actually, no one would call you a detective, since, well, you're not a detective.

Following some dude around who is cheating on his spouse is not even in the same ballpark as conducting legitimate surveillance on a heat-sensitive target that has the means and will to kill you if you're discovered.

The bottom line is, we offer these career opportunities to people that have shown the intelligence, common sense, loyalty and aptitude to do the job. When hiring from a group of current employees, its much easier to pick out the good ones, and it offers an avenue for career advancement.

The fact that you believe you are more qualified than people we might have internally, with obviously limited knowledge of the Branch and the job skills required, speaks to your level of maturity.

This is a good lesson for ALL applicants. Quite frankly, if applicants think the skills on their new job are beneath them, why do they even want to leave their existing "detective" positions? It is all glamour, excitement and car chases, isn't it?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:
mPI wrote:
Nope. Infidelity is 90% of our work, some insurance, some corporate mixed in when we feel like taking it. I essentially work out of my vehicle and have worked throughout urban and rural Alberta obtaining mostly video, some physical evidence. I've done cooperative operations where we tail subjects in a group, foot surveillance where we are set up at different points in an area. I'm aware that most people claim investigator when they're just an LPO with an investigator license, but I'm the real deal. You'd call me a detective if we were in the states.
Surveillance is in essence, the same, it doesn't matter who you work for. Get the evidence and don't get caught. Admin, sorry this derailed thread.

Actually, no one would call you a detective, since, well, you're not a detective.

Following some dude around who is cheating on his spouse is not even in the same ballpark as conducting legitimate surveillance on a heat-sensitive target that has the means and will to kill you if you're discovered.

The bottom line is, we offer these career opportunities to people that have shown the intelligence, common sense, loyalty and aptitude to do the job. When hiring from a group of current employees, its much easier to pick out the good ones, and it offers an avenue for career advancement.

The fact that you believe you are more qualified than people we might have internally, with obviously limited knowledge of the Branch and the job skills required, speaks to your level of maturity.

This is a good lesson for ALL applicants. Quite frankly, if applicants think the skills on their new job are beneath them, why do they even want to leave their existing "detective" positions? It is all glamour, excitement and car chases, isn't it?

Private Investigator is as far as I would describe you..and NOT the equivalent of Law Enforcement / Police / National Security surveillance.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

gn02156668
Rookie Member

Postby gn02156668 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 am

Long time lurker here , thank you everyone for your assistance along the way.

Received and accepted an offer with the Alberta sheriff.
Any out of town applicant here ?
Last edited by gn02156668 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:31 am

Looking for some insight from people who have applied from out-of-province. I'm from Ontario, looking to apply to both Alberta and British Columbia Sheriffs

Thanks

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 pm

mPI wrote:Nope. Infidelity is 90% of our work, some insurance, some corporate mixed in when we feel like taking it. I essentially work out of my vehicle and have worked throughout urban and rural Alberta obtaining mostly video, some physical evidence. I've done cooperative operations where we tail subjects in a group, foot surveillance where we are set up at different points in an area. I'm aware that most people claim investigator when they're just an LPO with an investigator license, but I'm the real deal. You'd call me a detective if we were in the states.

This is why I keep coming back to these forums.. freaking hilarious ... !!!

Rman1985
Rookie Member

Postby Rman1985 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering a few things about the SolGen academy (Alberta Sheriffs).

What would one expect on day one, aside from expectations and the PARE?

What are the accommodations like? I know they are shared between two people, but what about washrooms? Is there just one desk and closet? Is there Wifi throughout the facility?

How often is PT? Is it a daily thing, and about how far would you say the first run is?

Thanks for the heads up!

mdh602
Rookie Member

Postby mdh602 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Rman1985 wrote:Hey all,

What are the accommodations like? I know they are shared between two people, but what about washrooms? Is there just one desk and closet? Is there Wifi throughout the facility?

How often is PT? Is it a daily thing, and about how far would you say the first run is?

Thanks for the heads up!

First day you'll get a quick introduction, PARE, other house keeping matters.

2 single beds per room, 2 desks, 2 closet areas. There is wifi, but it's dicey at best. There's a computer lab and gym in the basement. There are two wings, each has an area with showers and toilets.

PT varies by class, tends to be more frequent at the start of training then tapers off as it gets busier with other areas of training (firearms, etc). As for what PT consists of, I'll leave that to be a surprise. If you're coming in in good shape, you'll be just fine. If you aren't, you'll probably leave in good shape.

PM me if you have other questions or need more specific answers. Where are you posted?

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:13 pm

mdh602 wrote:
Rman1985 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks for the heads up!

First day you'll get a quick introduction, PARE, other house keeping matters.

2 single beds per room, 2 desks, 2 closet areas. There is wifi, but it's dicey at best. There's a computer lab and gym in the basement. There are two wings, each has an area with showers and toilets.

PT varies by class, tends to be more frequent at the start of training then tapers off as it gets busier with other areas of training (firearms, etc). As for what PT consists of, I'll leave that to be a surprise. If you're coming in in good shape, you'll be just fine. If you aren't, you'll probably leave in good shape.

PM me if you have other questions or need more specific answers. Where are you posted?

So many complained about the WiFi but I never had an issue.
There's a projector in the computer lab that you can hook netflix up to. Not a whole lot of traffic in there in the evenings. The beds aren't terrible I slept great when I stayed there.
I hear you guys wear the full uniform every day and just the name shirts for PT. Make sure you pack warm clothes because it doesn't really matter if its cold and snowy outside.
Bring a mini fridge if you can. The food is a bit dicey at times.
There's a lounge by the guys dorm that has TV and couches and pool tables.
CX

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:01 pm

gn02156668 wrote:Long time lurker here , thank you everyone for your assistance along the way.

Congratulations. Welcome aboard!
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

gn02156668
Rookie Member

Postby gn02156668 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Sierra Tango22 wrote:
gn02156668 wrote:Long time lurker here , thank you everyone for your assistance along the way.

Thank you kindly. Just wondering if the cost sounds reasonable for a trip from Edmonton airport to the Academy for CAD 60 ?

Transitpopo

Postby Transitpopo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:03 am

Bring your own toilet paper, unless you like wiping with one ply sand paper.

Warren21
Rookie Member

Postby Warren21 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:40 pm

gn02156668 wrote:
Sierra Tango22 wrote:

Thank you kindly. Just wondering if the cost sounds reasonable for a trip from Edmonton airport to the Academy for CAD 60 ?

Good news UBER is way cheaper hahah
Warren
AB Sheriff

gn02156668
Rookie Member

Postby gn02156668 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the info ! appreciate that.

CanuckZX6R
Rookie Member

Postby CanuckZX6R » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:17 am

Anyone in this new class being posted to Peace River?