Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jc2000
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby jc2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Very excited that the Sheriffs are hiring! I put in my application and was wondering will the posting need to be closed before you find out if you were selected for an interview? Any info or tips on the hiring process would be very much appreciated, either on the board or through a PM.
Thanks!

rookie sheriff

Postby rookie sheriff » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:56 am

Melanie1 wrote:
rookie sheriff wrote:We do have carbines.....only the shooting teams use them now. Fish and Wildlife which is under the same ministry is currently testing carbines. Them acquiring carbines may open the door for the Sheriifs in the future. Nothing is planned at this time for the front line to get them.

Shooting teams? :pistols: :sniper: ???

Yes we have teams and members that compete in various shooting competition such as the World Police and Fire Games, the ISSAC (inter service small arms competition) etc. Sheriffs currently hold numerous trophies from last year's ISSAC. :sniper:
NOT A ROOKIE ANYMORE BUT TOO LATE TO CHANGE MY NAME NOW!

P1no
Rookie Member

Postby P1no » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:33 am

jc2000 wrote:Very excited that the Sheriffs are hiring! I put in my application and was wondering will the posting need to be closed before you find out if you were selected for an interview? Any info or tips on the hiring process would be very much appreciated, either on the board or through a PM.
Thanks!

Hey jc2000, I recently submitted my application as well. Friend of mine (sheriff) said to expect a notification for an interview possibly at the end of June or July as the training is supposedly in October of 2016. This is the unofficial timeline that my connection gave. As far as the hiring process this will be my first time applying to Alberta Sheriffs so I am not an expert on the process by any means. I am also new to this forum and recently discovered it. Regarding the hiring process I have unconfirmed information that these are the steps for out of province applicants:

1) Submission of application,
2) Upon being successfully selected, candidate is given a phone interview date/time (in-province I assume this interview is in person),
3) Upon a successful phone interview the candidate will be given an interview in person at a set date/time (candidate is responsible for travel and other expenses, not sure if this step is applicable to candidates applying in-province),
4) Upon successfully completing these interviews candidate is given an offer of employment and a training start date (all required licenses, and other documentation must be submitted before this start date or I assume candidacy will be terminated),
5) Candidate will undergo approximately 15 weeks of training,
6) Upon candidates successful completion of the training he/she will then be sworn in

I will reiterate that this information is unconfirmed and was given to me by an individual that is currently employed by Alberta Sheriffs. I am simply trying to provide some type of guideline/timeline for other candidates like myself. If there is any information that is incorrect please feel free to correct the mistake.

I hope this helps and I also hope that this information is accurate. Goodluck! :D

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 pm

I believe after the in-person interview(if successful) will undergo a pysch test, followed by a interview by a psychologist

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Instead of posting information that you are not sure about, why not just do some simple research on the job you are applying for.

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/careers/s ... ocess.aspx

jc2000
Rookie Member

Postby jc2000 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:00 am

Yes I suppose I should have been more specific in my post. I am aware of the recruitment steps as the solgps.alberta.ca website has a very good layout of the process. What I was looking for was advice and information on the timeline of the procedure from someone who has gone through the steps themselves.
Thanks

lawtont
Rookie Member

Postby lawtont » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:35 am

1) Submission of application,
2) Upon being successfully selected, candidate is given a phone interview date/time (in-province I assume this interview is in person),
3) Upon a successful phone interview the candidate will be given an interview in person at a set date/time (candidate is responsible for travel and other expenses, not sure if this step is applicable to candidates applying in-province),
4) Upon successfully completing these interviews candidate is given an offer of employment and a training start date (all required licenses, and other documentation must be submitted before this start date or I assume candidacy will be terminated),
5) Candidate will undergo approximately 15 weeks of training,
6) Upon candidates successful completion of the training he/she will then be sworn in

Not too far off.
- The applicants are screened 2-4 weeks after the competition closes with interviews following in the next 2 weeks.
- The in-person interviews are usually 2 weeks after that. you will be required to bring copies/verification to your in-person interview.
- During your interview you are asked question related to: Knowledge/Personal/Operational Suitability, e.g. tell us a time you had to deal with a unhappy customer or something similarly generic.
- After the interviews you are scored, if you pass the benchmarks you are considered 'certified' and you go into a pool. Top candidates in the pool go to reference checks.
- I've seen the reference check process take 4-6 weeks, depending on what HR has going on.
- Then to see the psychologist (another 1-3 weeks)
- After that process is complete; you get your job offer.
- Then off to training, and upon successful completion you receive your badge and have your graduation ceremony, etc.
Online App: MAY 19 2016
SP Request: MAY 31 2016
SP Completed: JUNE 1 2016
RMAQ: JULY 4 2016
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:
TROOP :

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Is there a period of time that a Sheriff needs to stay in the Law Court/ Transports section before being able to transfer into different sections.
Are there more openings for different sections in Edmonton area compared to Calgary/Red Deer/ South/ North.
RCMP Constable
K Division

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 am

rookie sheriff wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:
rookie sheriff wrote:We do have carbines.....only the shooting teams use them now. Fish and Wildlife which is under the same ministry is currently testing carbines. Them acquiring carbines may open the door for the Sheriifs in the future. Nothing is planned at this time for the front line to get them.

Shooting teams? :pistols: :sniper: ???

Yes we have teams and members that compete in various shooting competition such as the World Police and Fire Games, the ISSAC (inter service small arms competition) etc. Sheriffs currently hold numerous trophies from last year's ISSAC. :sniper:

Correct. Our shooting teams and individuals are very competitive within the province. WPFG is a whole different world, but we have consistently sent teams that have placed well for their level of funding and agency support (some agencies have "full time" competitive shooting teams with specialized equipment, large training budgets and extensive selection and development opportunities. We don't, but we do well with the people, equipment and budget that we have. ;) )

BSO20620 wrote:Is there a period of time that a Sheriff needs to stay in the Law Court/ Transports section before being able to transfer into different sections.
Are there more openings for different sections in Edmonton area compared to Calgary/Red Deer/ South/ North.

Postings for other units (Surveillance, Traffic, EPU, etc) have recently been asking for 3 years experience in the branch, from what I've seen. That typically comes from your first posting, which will be in CSPT (Court Security and Prisoner Transport) or to one of the gov property security postings (Legislature, etc).

Are you wondering about openings for Surv, Traffic, EPU, etc as far as location goes? Surv and EPU are based out of Calgary and Edmonton, and openings in those units are few and far between. Traffic positions are spread throughout the province, but competition for positions is generally higher for the units closest to the big cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, etc). There are more opportunities for traffic positions each year than any of the other specialized units.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 am

Just put in my app the orher day...going to transfer from Corrections to the Sheriffs...got 4 years in...time to see the courthouse lol ... I only wish the 9 weeks i did at APORT could be "looked at" in some even minimal way...but oh well 15 weeks...i could loose a few inches off my waist ;)
Not gonna lie i did call HR up in edmonton and had a great chat with a lady up there and she was very informative and answered all my questions...even the ones related to pay...haha i guess if you really want the answers-you go to the source and get em
Good luck peeps
CPPS

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 pm

For Law Court/ Transport Sheriffs are there hours of work court hours (9-5). What frequency of overtime either nights or weekends.

Once finished the training program and officer coaching what opportunities do Sheriffs have to take additional training and courses.
RCMP Constable
K Division

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:50 pm

BSO20620 wrote:For Law Court/ Transport Sheriffs are there hours of work court hours (9-5). What frequency of overtime either nights or weekends.

Once finished the training program and officer coaching what opportunities do Sheriffs have to take additional training and courses.

For CSPT, work hours are built around court hours. Shifts start between 5am and 10am, and usually run just over 8 hours total, so they finish 1330 up to 1900ish. Most of the officers will work hours that are close to 8am - 5pm. Overtime is variable depending on staffing, demand, and whether you're courts or transport. Some transport routes incur regular overtime. In smaller centers (outside of Calgary or Edmonton), there's typically more overtime because there's less scheduling flexibility and the overtime is shared between fewer officers.

Additional training is somewhat limited. There are courses for specialty units (Surveillance, SCAN, EPU, Traffic, etc) and for some professional development (Field Training Officer program, leadership/mentoring courses, firearms/EVOC/def tacs instructor's coureses, etc). Opportunities are available yearly but there's pretty decent competition. Outside training sometimes is available but I wouldn't bank on it. Stuff like Emergency Management, etc.

CANADA11
Rookie Member

Postby CANADA11 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:13 am

my question is regarding recent correctional peace officer job posting. it says along with resume send a copy of criminal record check, cpr, first aid and driver abstarct. If I don't submit these documents along with my resume can I still get an interview ? or do they give you any deadline for submitting these documents later.
appreciate any help. thanks

lawtont
Rookie Member

Postby lawtont » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:17 pm

CANADA11 wrote:my question is regarding recent correctional peace officer job posting. it says along with resume send a copy of criminal record check, cpr, first aid and driver abstarct. If I don't submit these documents along with my resume can I still get an interview ? or do they give you any deadline for submitting these documents later.
appreciate any help. thanks

Send a resume, indicate in your cover letter you have the supporting documentation. You will be instructed to bring them with you to the interview if selected.
Online App: MAY 19 2016
SP Request: MAY 31 2016
SP Completed: JUNE 1 2016
RMAQ: JULY 4 2016
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:
TROOP :

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:59 pm

just got my interview date for end of June....i cant believe how expensive the class 4 DL is...wow...oh well...itll all be worth it in the end!!!
CPPS