Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
cyrex_007
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby cyrex_007 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:00 pm

staggjg wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:
staggjg wrote:Hi everyone,

I am an armed CBSA officer posted in the Yukon and have applied for the Traffic Sheriff position that closed a few weeks back. I wanted to ask what the HR process is, as I have an interview scheduled next week. What can I expect from the interview?

Thanks,

James

Hello, how long have you been an armed CBSA officer for? Which locations were they asking in the competition for traffic sheriff postings? Many thanks!

Luke

I've been an armed officer for 3 years now and been with CBSA for 6 years. As for the locations I am not to sure at all, the poster that I applied to just indicated various locations.

James

Nice. A friend of mine was asking about current locations, but he is not willing to move to the north, so that is unfortunate they did not tell you. Good luck to you in getting it. There might be a hiring freeze in certain GoA agencies. Recruitment is on hold right now with CVEB I hear.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 pm

cyrex_007 wrote:
Nice. A friend of mine was asking about current locations, but he is not willing to move to the north, so that is unfortunate they did not tell you. Good luck to you in getting it. There might be a hiring freeze in certain GoA agencies. Recruitment is on hold right now with CVEB I hear.

The locations were on the posting. I believe they included Banff, Ponoka, Innisfail and a few northern spots. I can't remember exactly right now.

cyrex007
Rookie Member

Postby cyrex007 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:

The locations were on the posting. I believe they included Banff, Ponoka, Innisfail and a few northern spots. I can't remember exactly right now.

Thanks Alberta Blue, i will pass the locations down.

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:

The recent Traffic posting was for
-Banff
-Ponoka
-Innisfail
-Grande Prairie
-Peace River
-Whitecourt
-Edson
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

staggjg
Rookie Member

Postby staggjg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:58 am

cyrex_007 wrote:
staggjg wrote:

I've been an armed officer for 3 years now and been with CBSA for 6 years. As for the locations I am not to sure at all, the poster that I applied to just indicated various locations.

James

Nice. A friend of mine was asking about current locations, but he is not willing to move to the north, so that is unfortunate they did not tell you. Good luck to you in getting it. There might be a hiring freeze in certain GoA agencies. Recruitment is on hold right now with CVEB I hear.[/quote]

I was a little disappointed to hear about the GoA hiring freeze, but the interview team indicated to me that they were unsure at this point if the Traffic Sheriffs were going to be affected by this hiring freeze.... So here is to hoping that they aren't affected and I can move forward!

James
Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

brightlights
Rookie Member

Postby brightlights » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Congrats to class 942 today on graduating! Looked like a good group. Best of luck out there to all of you :drinking:
Alberta Sheriff

The Truth
Rookie Member

Postby The Truth » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 am

Congrats to class 942, very proud of a friend and former collegue who graduated today!! :) :thumbsup:
BSO

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:15 am

staggjg wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:
staggjg wrote:

James

I was a little disappointed to hear about the GoA hiring freeze, but the interview team indicated to me that they were unsure at this point if the Traffic Sheriffs were going to be affected by this hiring freeze.... So here is to hoping that they aren't affected and I can move forward!

James[/quote]

Should not be affecting traffic hiring
:wave:

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm

rumors are going around that the next training class will be postponed, anyone hear anything? I already signed my offer, lol.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Folks, no one here is going to be able to tell you with any certainty whether or not classes are going ahead. Budgets are very fluid around here, and literally getting smaller by the day. We have all basically been told there is no money for anything except essential operations.

You are just going to have to be patient and wait for the call.

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:55 pm

I figured I would post my results because others asked. I have posted pretty consistently over the past few months. I had my psych Dec. 8th. Nearly 2 weeks later I received a call saying that just before xmas I would be contacted by the psych in Calgary regarding my results. I find what followed strange. I asked if I had failed which they responded with no however there is concern to be discussed. So I waited and spoke to this psych. So he calls me and we talk. He tells me the concern he has and that he has made the decision NOT to clear me for training. Saying I tested on the written a little to high for his liking in one area. He said I was too controlling and dominating. His concern was that if I am armed that i will use the fire arm to gain compliance and control quickly rather than using other options. That my initial assessment of a situation is done to quickly he believed. Keep in mind my psych was not done by him. The results of the written and interview were sent to him from another psych who assessed me.

He based his decision off of other people. His words saying that individuals who test like me in the past have been shown to do the same thing. I simply asked a few questions. Like why he believed I would do that and why he based it off of others. I articulated pretty clearly in the one on one interview that I always slow myself down in situations and before making assessments and choosing to take a course of action. Did not seem like what I had said in the interview was taken into account there. Next thing I asked was how am I suppose to translate your findings for the next time I test onto paper through true and false questions. He didn't really have a answer for that one. I answered each question true or false as it pertained to me. Not how I thought it should be answered or in any other mind set. I answered truthfully and this is what happened.

Anyways I appreciate everyone`s help through the process that I contacted or contacted me but I was not cleared for training for that reason. It sucks to read about this apparent freeze in places but hopefully the Feb. 3rd class goes on for all those waiting to go. I wish everyone all the best moving forward. For now I am applying to Toronto and the OPP next month. see how it goes. cheers folks. May try sheriff again in a year or so if they hire again and things don`t work out here.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

Warren21
Rookie Member

Postby Warren21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:00 pm

The Sheriffs called my references yesterday so I assume that means I passed my psych test I did the psych on Dec 16 my psych interview, I' hope I get good news soon !
Warren
AB Sheriff

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:29 am

Stix

Postby Stix » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, you and you.....panic. The rest of you come with me.

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:21 pm

fair enough