Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Code44
Veteran Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 am
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby Code44 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:22 am

As far as advancement yes city has a waaaay better chance of offering a sgt spot or any course. Small venues are always short staffed so you ll never get courses or training. But as far as everyday duties each week in rural spots you get to do a mix of everything. Plus no parking tax lol
:wave:

darwin
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby darwin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Got my call this week and I am going to training in February. That said, our department and for the greater part of the GOA will be looking at budget restrictions, so I am interested to see how this will effect future hiring/APORT classes.

User avatar
tbell33
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby tbell33 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:42 pm

darwin wrote:Got my call this week and I am going to training in February. That said, our department and for the greater part of the GOA will be looking at budget restrictions, so I am interested to see how this will effect future hiring/APORT classes.


Proud of you Brother!! CONGRATS Again!!!
Welcome to The Team!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

darwin
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby darwin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks big guy. I am amped to be coming over.

Get in on role playing so we can kick it during my training class.

CokeZer0
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby CokeZer0 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:04 am

To all it may concern:

I applied to the Sheriff's a while back in April, and went through everything fine, till I got to the Psych Test which I failed, which I call BS on, but it was my mistake for answering the way I thought they wanted hear.

I thought they wanted someone who is direct, dominant, and controlling because that is what I thought the job required. But that is not what they want, and I failed the test.

I recently did the MMPI 2 for the CBSA and passed less than 3 months after the Sheriff MMPI 2. I answered that test from the POV of a customer service perspective.

So if you failed the test it is not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.

Sorry for the brevity, and lack of grammar but I typed this in a hurry.

brightlights
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby brightlights » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:10 am

CokeZer0 wrote:To all it may concern:

I applied to the Sheriff's a while back in April, and went through everything fine, till I got to the Psych Test which I failed, which I call BS on, but it was my mistake for answering the way I thought they wanted hear.

I thought they wanted someone who is direct, dominant, and controlling because that is what I thought the job required. But that is not what they want, and I failed the test.

I recently did the MMPI 2 for the CBSA and passed less than 3 months after the Sheriff MMPI 2. I answered that test from the POV of a customer service perspective.

So if you failed the test it is not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.

Sorry for the brevity, and lack of grammar but I typed this in a hurry.


Sorry to hear that, are you planning on re-applying?
Alberta Sheriff

CokeZer0
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby CokeZer0 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:12 am

brightlights wrote:
CokeZer0 wrote:To all it may concern:

I applied to the Sheriff's a while back in April, and went through everything fine, till I got to the Psych Test which I failed, which I call BS on, but it was my mistake for answering the way I thought they wanted hear.

I thought they wanted someone who is direct, dominant, and controlling because that is what I thought the job required. But that is not what they want, and I failed the test.

I recently did the MMPI 2 for the CBSA and passed less than 3 months after the Sheriff MMPI 2. I answered that test from the POV of a customer service perspective.

So if you failed the test it is not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.

Sorry for the brevity, and lack of grammar but I typed this in a hurry.


Sorry to hear that, are you planning on re-applying?


Yes, 100% as soon as it opens up again!

brightlights
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby brightlights » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:33 am

CokeZer0 wrote:
brightlights wrote:
CokeZer0 wrote:To all it may concern:

I applied to the Sheriff's a while back in April, and went through everything fine, till I got to the Psych Test which I failed, which I call BS on, but it was my mistake for answering the way I thought they wanted hear.

I thought they wanted someone who is direct, dominant, and controlling because that is what I thought the job required. But that is not what they want, and I failed the test.

I recently did the MMPI 2 for the CBSA and passed less than 3 months after the Sheriff MMPI 2. I answered that test from the POV of a customer service perspective.

So if you failed the test it is not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.

Sorry for the brevity, and lack of grammar but I typed this in a hurry.


Sorry to hear that, are you planning on re-applying?


Yes, 100% as soon as it opens up again!


right on, keep us posted :thumbsup:
Alberta Sheriff

User avatar
tbell33
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby tbell33 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:00 am

CokeZer0 wrote:
brightlights wrote:
CokeZer0 wrote:To all it may concern:

I applied to the Sheriff's a while back in April, and went through everything fine, till I got to the Psych Test which I failed, which I call BS on, but it was my mistake for answering the way I thought they wanted hear.

I thought they wanted someone who is direct, dominant, and controlling because that is what I thought the job required. But that is not what they want, and I failed the test.

I recently did the MMPI 2 for the CBSA and passed less than 3 months after the Sheriff MMPI 2. I answered that test from the POV of a customer service perspective.

So if you failed the test it is not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.

Sorry for the brevity, and lack of grammar but I typed this in a hurry.


Sorry to hear that, are you planning on re-applying?


Yes, 100% as soon as it opens up again!




Next Posting Is Slated For January 2015!
Keep Watchkng The GOA Job Site In The Nee Year. Best of Luck!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

NewfieBlue
Rookie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33 pm
Location: Edmonton
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby NewfieBlue » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:36 am

Pretty exciting week coming up, final exam, final PARE and Grad and I'm excited to be posted to Fort Mcmurray :D

User avatar
tbell33
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby tbell33 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:52 pm

fortmacapplicant wrote:Pretty exciting week coming up, final exam, final PARE and Grad and I'm excited to be posted to Fort Mcmurray :D


CONGRATS! Remember that Grad is YOUR day! Enjoy every minute!!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

User avatar
staggjg
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:56 am
Location: Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby staggjg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 am

Hi everyone,

I am an armed CBSA officer posted in the Yukon and have applied for the Traffic Sheriff position that closed a few weeks back. I wanted to ask what the HR process is, as I have an interview scheduled next week. What can I expect from the interview?

Thanks,

James
Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

User avatar
Code44
Veteran Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 am
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby Code44 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:45 am

staggjg wrote:Hi everyone,

I am an armed CBSA officer posted in the Yukon and have applied for the Traffic Sheriff position that closed a few weeks back. I wanted to ask what the HR process is, as I have an interview scheduled next week. What can I expect from the interview?

Thanks,

James


Sent you a pm
:wave:

cyrex_007
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby cyrex_007 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:56 pm

staggjg wrote:Hi everyone,

I am an armed CBSA officer posted in the Yukon and have applied for the Traffic Sheriff position that closed a few weeks back. I wanted to ask what the HR process is, as I have an interview scheduled next week. What can I expect from the interview?

Thanks,

James


Hello, how long have you been an armed CBSA officer for? Which locations were they asking in the competition for traffic sheriff postings? Many thanks!

Luke

User avatar
staggjg
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:56 am
Location: Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby staggjg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:50 am

cyrex_007 wrote:
staggjg wrote:Hi everyone,

I am an armed CBSA officer posted in the Yukon and have applied for the Traffic Sheriff position that closed a few weeks back. I wanted to ask what the HR process is, as I have an interview scheduled next week. What can I expect from the interview?

Thanks,

James


Hello, how long have you been an armed CBSA officer for? Which locations were they asking in the competition for traffic sheriff postings? Many thanks!

Luke


I've been an armed officer for 3 years now and been with CBSA for 6 years. As for the locations I am not to sure at all, the poster that I applied to just indicated various locations.

James
Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amills90, Google [Bot], Zepedder and 9 guests