Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
HiPowered
Veteran Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby HiPowered » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm

fozofallfoz wrote: Unless you have prior specialized military or police training ASSIST/Exec protection are tough to get into..

Or a beard. Everyone just assumes I'm high speed because I have one.

Snow_Man wrote:Okay thank you for the information. Would they take into account experiences like the army reserve? As soon as I have enough saved I want to get my eyes fixed and apply for 1 MP platoon here in Calgary for part time experience.

It'll be taken into account for what it's worth. There are a lot of ex-military members in the Sheriffs, so there's a pretty good understanding of what kind of training and experience the military offers. That said, a few years as a reservist doesn't put you much ahead, unless you've done CP or CI training. They'd be looking for actual advanced courses beyond showing up every wednesday and putting your boots on the right feet. ;)

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 pm

When I was at sol-gen there was an exec protection class going on. I talked to a couple of em, one of them was actually one of the sergeants for my class, and one of the gals had been a sheriff since the CAPS days. One of the guys also came from traffic if I recall correctly, and was going to be working exec casually (I have no idea how many of these guys are full time, or what sort of schedule they work on).

This entire group was incredibly solid, and I doubt most people on this forum (all services included) were as sharp as them. Something to shoot for for sure.

Also I'm not sure if you meant "jump the shark" back there ;)

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm

any particular reason it is difficult to get into traffic in southern Alberta?

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 pm

I imagine they are pretty full up, with tons of experienced guys ready to jump whenever an opportunity pops up

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Snow_Man wrote:any particular reason it is difficult to get into traffic in southern Alberta?

Because open positions get posted for lateral transfer before being posted internally to courts or externally.

People slowly migrate south.

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 pm

More to the point - everybody wants to live in Central/Southern Alberta. A very select few want to live in the North.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:57 am

HiPowered wrote:More to the point - everybody wants to live in Central/Southern Alberta. A very select few want to live in the North.

Like me! :alright:
:wave:

carmstrong444
Rookie Member

Postby carmstrong444 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Anyone who was just hired for the March class recieved the emails they said they would send out by the 7th?

J.O'Neil
Rookie Member

Postby J.O'Neil » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey guys, wondering if people on this forum could give me some insight on how exactly the process runs for AB Sheriffs. I just received an email last Thursday inviting me to go for an interview.. I received 3 different weeks that the interviews will be conducted. I'm currently a Sheriff in New-Brunswick so I'd be coming from out of province. If someone wants to PM me as well that would be great. Appreciate any info I can get, thanks!
Online App- Apr 2016
SP Received- May 2016
SP Sent- June 2016
RMAQ- Nov 2016
PEP- March 2017
PEP REC- Aug 2017
MED/MMPI-2- Aug 2017
MMPI-2 Retake- Sep 2017
BGI- Sep 2017
BGI complete- Oct 2017
FSR- Oct 2017
Security Clearance - pending
TROOP-pending

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am

J.O'Neil wrote:Hey guys, wondering if people on this forum could give me some insight on how exactly the process runs for AB Sheriffs. I just received an email last Thursday inviting me to go for an interview.. I received 3 different weeks that the interviews will be conducted. I'm currently a Sheriff in New-Brunswick so I'd be coming from out of province. If someone wants to PM me as well that would be great. Appreciate any info I can get, thanks!

PM Sent
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

kylewashere
Rookie Member

Postby kylewashere » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:16 am

Has anyone who interviewed on January/February been contacted for a psych evaluation yet?

BCfiveoh
Rookie Member

Postby BCfiveoh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 am

[quote="kylewashere"]Has anyone who interviewed on January/February been contacted for a psych evaluation yet?[/

I contacted HR a week ago to confirm whether my Crim record check was received on there end or not. They informed me that I'm moving along in the process but didnt mention anything about the psych eval yet..

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Good luck to all of you who are starting off your careers with the Sheriffs next week. I'll see you at the "best" orientation presentation on Friday! :mrgreen:
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:00 am

Sierra Tango22 wrote:Good luck to all of you who are starting off your careers with the Sheriffs next week. I'll see you at the "best" orientation presentation on Friday! :mrgreen:

Oh, will you be sitting in on mine?

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm

HiPowered wrote:
Sierra Tango22 wrote:Good luck to all of you who are starting off your careers with the Sheriffs next week. I'll see you at the "best" orientation presentation on Friday! :mrgreen:

Oh, will you be sitting in on mine?

Tactical Yoga?