Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
HiPowered
Veteran Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby HiPowered » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Sierra Tango22 wrote:And fear the beard.

I should have added that if any of you see a beard, assume the pushup position and start reciting the Judicature Act as loud as possible.

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:43 pm

HiPowered wrote:

I should have added that if any of you see a beard, assume the pushup position and start reciting the Judicature Act as loud as possible.

Haha 10-4 Good Advice Recruits!!!

Welcome To The Dept. Work Your Asses Off In Training & Be Proud Of What You've Accomplished. For The Entire 10wks Think & Work As Part of A Team Not Just For Yourself. If Someone Is Struggling You Make Sure To Stay Back & Help Because When You Get In The Field You're Not Going To Only Think Of Yourself Because You Will Have To Always Have Your Partner's Back As You Want Them to Have Yours!!

Best of Luck To All Of You, You've Made It Now Have A Blast @ Training & Prep Yourself For The Real Thing!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 am

Congrats to all the new hires, perfect time of year to go through class! If any of you guys play hockey shoot me a PM!

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

tbell33 wrote:
HiPowered wrote:

Haha 10-4 Good Advice Recruits!!!

Welcome To The Dept. Work Your Asses Off In Training & Be Proud Of What You've Accomplished. For The Entire 10wks Think & Work As Part of A Team Not Just For Yourself. If Someone Is Struggling You Make Sure To Stay Back & Help Because When You Get In The Field You're Not Going To Only Think Of Yourself Because You Will Have To Always Have Your Partner's Back As You Want Them to Have Yours!!

Best of Luck To All Of You, You've Made It Now Have A Blast @ Training & Prep Yourself For The Real Thing!

What's with all the capital letters? :P

kylewashere
Rookie Member

Postby kylewashere » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Seems like the April class is basically situated now, does anyone know when the next class is?

Glasgow
Rookie Member

Postby Glasgow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Does anyone know if their are spaces for the march class would like to try be on it all i need to do is psych test :D

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Best of Luck To All Of You, You've Made It Now Have A Blast @ Training & Prep Yourself For The Real Thing![/quote]

What's with all the capital letters? :P[/quote]

It's a code..... If you can translate it, You will find the treasure of theAlberta Govt.
Last edited by Sierra Tango22 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Sierra Tango is right!!! Haha!

Every time I spaced it started the next word with a capital letter. Guess I failed the grammar exam for blueline lol
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:08 pm

First day of orientation is on the 26th in Calgary, anyone else going to be there??? :D

saskjj
Rookie Member

Postby saskjj » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:57 pm

See you in Calgary!!

arctys
Rookie Member

Postby arctys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Snow_Man wrote:First day of orientation is on the 26th in Calgary, anyone else going to be there??? :D

happy for you dude!!
*UK Immigration entry clearance officer*
*former BC Sheriff*

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~Leonardo da Vinci

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:49 am

I don't want to jump the shark, but what is in all honesty the likelyhood of getting an opportunity to work in a different section of the sheriffs such as the executive protection, ASSIST, Traffic and such. I understand these positions are highly limited. Are the sheriffs going to be removing more units as they did with fugitive apprehension or is there any word of bringing them back or adding more?

Thanks

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 am

Snow_Man wrote:I don't want to jump the shark, but what is in all honesty the likelyhood of getting an opportunity to work in a different section of the sheriffs such as the executive protection, ASSIST, Traffic and such. I understand these positions are highly limited. Are the sheriffs going to be removing more units as they did with fugitive apprehension or is there any word of bringing them back or adding more?

Thanks

After your probationary period is up, you have every oppertunity to apply to any of these units..... If there are openings.

No word on units being created or being dissolved.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Snow_Man wrote:I don't want to jump the shark, but what is in all honesty the likelyhood of getting an opportunity to work in a different section of the sheriffs such as the executive protection, ASSIST, Traffic and such. I understand these positions are highly limited. Are the sheriffs going to be removing more units as they did with fugitive apprehension or is there any word of bringing them back or adding more?

Thanks

The opportunities are there - I got into a northern traffic position after just over a year on the job. There is a traffic class starting in April and one just graduated in December. Unless you have prior specialized military or police training ASSIST/Exec protection are tough to get into. If you're looking to get into traffic you're going to have to move north.

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

fozofallfoz wrote:

Thanks

The opportunities are there - I got into a northern traffic position after just over a year on the job. There is a traffic class starting in April and one just graduated in December. Unless you have prior specialized military or police training ASSIST/Exec protection are tough to get into. If you're looking to get into traffic you're going to have to move north.

Okay thank you for the information. Would they take into account experiences like the army reserve? As soon as I have enough saved I want to get my eyes fixed and apply for 1 MP platoon here in Calgary for part time experience.