Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby fozofallfoz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 am

The interview will be pretty standard as far as Peace Officer interviews go. Know what Alberta Sheriffs do and where we get our authorities & obviously show up prepared with plenty of examples from life experience. As far as the Psych evaluation goes - I'm fairly certain it is identical, if not very similar to RCMP/Municipal Forces tests. At the point the AB Sheriffs don't have a PDI, disclosure package or a polygraph examination, so you wont have to worry about that.

Crash902

Postby Crash902 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 am

idono163 wrote:I've gone over the SolGen website and gone through job postings and such but they use the same old somewhat vague language that every company uses in their applications/information so I'm really looking for the meat behind all that language that comes from actually having gone through the process and having a working knowledge of it.

Apply and find out. I don't mean to sound harsh but do you want this or not.

The interview is private we can't tell you, as for the psych test ether you will pass or not. You can't prepare for that you have to be honest, what are you preparing for. Are you planning on cheating, or answering the questions the way you think they want you too.
Police prep is a good resource, but I have not read anywhere that there is test. I'm a CO and we never did a test till we where hired , but I could be wrong.

Good luck.
Don`t Make me Care Bear Stare you!!
5..4..3..2..1.. Stare

idono163
Rookie Member

Postby idono163 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 am

The interview will be pretty standard as far as Peace Officer interviews go. Know what Alberta Sheriffs do and where we get our authorities & obviously show up prepared with plenty of examples from life experience. As far as the Psych evaluation goes - I'm fairly certain it is identical, if not very similar to RCMP/Municipal Forces tests. At the point the AB Sheriffs don't have a PDI, disclosure package or a polygraph examination, so you wont have to worry about that.

Thanks for the info! I've heard what the general format is for CPS interviews, and what the general outline of psych tests are for other agencies. My understanding is that it's a fairly quick written component followed by a person-to-person component. I know it may seem like I'm asking obvious questions but for whatever reason it's just nice to know these little things about the process going in.

Apply and find out. I don't mean to sound harsh but do you want this or not.

The interview is private we can't tell you, as for the psych test ether you will pass or not. You can't prepare for that you have to be honest, what are you preparing for. Are you planning on cheating, or answering the questions the way you think they want you too.
Police prep is a good resource, but I have not read anywhere that there is test. I'm a CO and we never did a test till we where hired , but I could be wrong.

Good luck.

I'm putting in an application for an open position today. I'm just curious/asking questions because I want to feel as prepared as possible. Like I said, I'm fresh at this and don't really know what to expect. I'm not asking for answers to be passed under the table to me, and I understand/respect that the specifics of some of the processes will be kept confidential. I don't feel like my wording was asking for that but I obviously need to straighten that out. I just wanted to get a more thorough/accurate impression of what the process is like by those that have gone through it. Just looking for a lay of the land. That's it. Sorry for the long-winded response but I just want to disabuse anyone of the notion that I'm just here for the answers to the test since I've inadvertently given off that impression, and hopefully this will give you a better idea of what I was looking for in a response. Fozofallfoz gave pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in an answer.

Thanks for your other feedback, though. It's nice to know I didn't waste $60 on Police Prep.

Crash902

Postby Crash902 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Police prep has an online option. It is realy good, you can take the test online and practice.
Don`t Make me Care Bear Stare you!!
5..4..3..2..1.. Stare

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Had my psych test today. It felt like a no brainer and the dr did not say that much to me afterward other than that he says that I scored high in introversion and said I am too modest..... Hmmm.... Fingers crossed I get good news from Edmonton soon....

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Snow_Man wrote:Had my psych test today. It felt like a no brainer and the dr did not say that much to me afterward other than that he says that I scored high in introversion and said I am too modest..... Hmmm.... Fingers crossed I get good news from Edmonton soon....

Sounds good, you ll most likely get an offer ill be surprised if you don't .
:wave:

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 am

Code44 wrote:
Snow_Man wrote:Had my psych test today. It felt like a no brainer and the dr did not say that much to me afterward other than that he says that I scored high in introversion and said I am too modest..... Hmmm.... Fingers crossed I get good news from Edmonton soon....

Thank you, I hope I do and I am anxious to get the call.

The only thing that worries me he said to me "you seem to second guess yourself?" And I said sometimes yes. And he said "you lack some self confidence, but I think you are just not over selling yourself" does he think I may not be able to use lethal force if it required? Maybe I am looking into his words too much.

So whatever that means! Head doctors man :roll:

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Snow_Man wrote:
Code44 wrote:

Thank you, I hope I do and I am anxious to get the call.

The only thing that worries me he said to me "you seem to second guess yourself?" And I said sometimes yes. And he said "you lack some self confidence, but I think you are just not over selling yourself" does he think I may not be able to use lethal force if it required? Maybe I am looking into his words too much.

So whatever that means! Head doctors man :roll:

Take it as constructive criticism and work on it when you can, but I wouldn't worry about it impacting your application.

I was told the same thing during mine, but I'd doubt many of my coworkers would be concerned about my ability to use force when necessary.

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm

HiPowered wrote:Take it as constructive criticism and work on it when you can, but I wouldn't worry about it impacting your application.

I was told the same thing during mine, but I'd doubt many of my coworkers would be concerned about my ability to use force when necessary.

Okay thank you for your input HiPowered I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Snow_Man wrote:
HiPowered wrote:Take it as constructive criticism and work on it when you can, but I wouldn't worry about it impacting your application.

Fear the Beard
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Snow_Man wrote:

only yoga ability is concerning :mrgreen:
:wave:

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Code44 wrote:
Snow_Man wrote:

I heard it was Tactical Yoga.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Sierra Tango22 wrote:
Code44 wrote:
Snow_Man wrote:

I heard it was Tactical Yoga.

Full contact combat yoga. It's serious business.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Where's the biggest need for bodies right now?

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 pm

mto823 wrote:Where's the biggest need for bodies right now?

Edmonton