Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Code44
Veteran Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby Code44 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:27 am

Crash902 wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:They find people are going through the process, getting accepted, but then moving on to other jobs while they wait for their classes to start. So, the idea is to hire them right away and put them to work in non peace officer jobs.

Might work, but it won't fix the manpower issues we have been having. We are literally hemorrhaging staff these days.

If there that hard up why not get us CO to help out.

Every time I've tried to switch over HR makes it so hard I can't switch.
Wont do phone interviews, won't answer emails or calls for days if not weeks.
I had to drive from lethbridge to Edmonton ones for an interview, I was not given the address so I called and emailed to confirm, they got back to me a week after the interview.
Another time I had to drive to Calgary I emailed in all my paperwork, and was told it was all good. A day before my interview I get an email saying there is a new HR lady and she needs my paper work again before the interview. I told her I was in the prison and could not do it till the morning. She tells me she's not going to be in and cancels my interview.
For heaven sake if your that hard up then work with applicants, don't make there life hard.

COs wouldn't be able to help out because they are just as short as we are.
:wave:

Crash902

Postby Crash902 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 am

Very true, Just thinking out loud.
Don`t Make me Care Bear Stare you!!
5..4..3..2..1.. Stare

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:11 pm

For anyone who has done the psych test recently. Do you get the results the same day? I read previously that some applicants have failed for minor reasons such as they have low confidence or not mature enough. How does the test decipher his? I feel I am a reasonably normal individual.... I guess I'm probably just over thinking it....

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Snow_Man wrote:For anyone who has done the psych test recently. Do you get the results the same day? I read previously that some applicants have failed for minor reasons such as they have low confidence or not mature enough. How does the test decipher his? I feel I am a reasonably normal individual.... I guess I'm probably just over thinking it....

Applicants usually don't receive the results the same day I had mine roughly a week after.
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 pm

I was pulled over by a traffic Sheriff yesterday, and was extremely impressed by the courtesy and professionalism shown. He turned out to be mistaken in his reason for pulling me over, but was right on top of that, and caused me absolutely zero grief. I don't drive like I did 10 years ago, so its been a pretty long time since I've been pulled over, but to any Sheriffs that happen to be reading this topic, I do appreciate the job you guys do. Good luck to all applying, from what I've seen its a solid organization.

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Snow_Man wrote:
HiPowered wrote:Just a heads up to those who are in the process, I have some good news. The agency is considering implementation of a Pre-Hire Employment period. For those who are selected for hiring, you may be given duties that don't require a peace officer appointment. It'll get you some pay and experience before you start your training. It isn't solidified yet, but consider this movement in a good direction.

Good luck, everyone.

So your saying that I could potentially be offered a Job with the Alberta government before the next class starts march 27?? Hmm..... Interesting...

Possibly. Like I said, they've only discussed that they're planning on implementing this change, so it isn't set in stone yet. But yes, this could be a good move for us and for our future hires. Win/win.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:03 am

This is true. But we still need to find a way to keep people once they are trained. Constantly losing trained/experienced people is really starting to catch up to us.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:This is true. But we still need to find a way to keep people once they are trained. Constantly losing trained/experienced people is really starting to catch up to us.

Where are they going? Private sector?

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:16 pm

mto823 wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:This is true. But we still need to find a way to keep people once they are trained. Constantly losing trained/experienced people is really starting to catch up to us.

Most are going into Policing, but we've had others going into other Peace Officer Roles( County and Municipality
) and Private Sector.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Crash902

Postby Crash902 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Sierra Tango22 wrote:
mto823 wrote:

Most are going into Policing, but we've had others going into other Peace Officer Roles( County and Municipality
) and Private Sector.

As much as it sucks, it shows the level of training and quality of employes we have here at SolGen.
Don`t Make me Care Bear Stare you!!
5..4..3..2..1.. Stare

Snow_Man
Rookie Member

Postby Snow_Man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Crash902 wrote:As much as it sucks, it shows the level of training and quality of employes we have here at SolGen.

Hopefully they have realized its time to change how they manage their employees?

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Crash902 wrote:
As much as it sucks, it shows the level of training and quality of employes we have here at SolGen.

It's got nothing to do with that. Has to do with the fact that we are one of the lowest paid peace officer agencies in the province, we are looking at another 4 years of wage freezes by means of a legislated contract that was not negotiated in good faith, our pensions are about to be unilaterally tampered with (I will have to work for an extra 10 years with less $$ at the end). Morale is at an all time low. People aren't leaving in droves because they have moved on to bigger and better things - there will always be some of that. People are leaving en mass because they realize the ship is sinking.

idono163
Rookie Member

Postby idono163 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've skimmed what feels like the entirety of this thread looking for more information on the application/ training process etc. for becoming a sheriff and a lot of it has been helpful, but I'm just looking for a little more specificity with regards to the application, recruitment, and training process:

What sort of factors do they consider regarding your eligibility?
What is the interviewing format/process like?
What is the psych test like?
What does the background/security check entail? I just filled out the self-disclosure form for the CPS and told them my deepest darkest secrets lol Is it as onerous/invasive?
What is the 10 week training like/what is the environment at the college? What is the pay rate while you are still a trainee?

This is all somewhat new to me so I'm just generally curious about anything and everything and would love some feedback from someone experienced in the field. I'm sure there are many other factors as part of the process that I'm curious in that I haven't mentioned here. I already feel like I'm asking for a novel-length response, though. Thanks for any responses!

Sidenote: I picked up a copy of a Police Prep Canadian Police Officer Exam study guide. Has anyone here ever used these as a resource and found it useful? Is it applicable to Sheriffs as much as it is for other police agencies? Again, thanks for the feedback!

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 am

The answers to most of your questions can be found here https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_ ... fault.aspx

As for what the interview/psych is like I can't help you with that.

idono163
Rookie Member

Postby idono163 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 am

I've gone over the SolGen website and gone through job postings and such but they use the same old somewhat vague language that every company uses in their applications/information so I'm really looking for the meat behind all that language that comes from actually having gone through the process and having a working knowledge of it.