Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
recceguy
Seasoned Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby recceguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 am

Just so you know...batons and oc aren't gonna win you a fight....oc can be fought through, and anyone who knows what they are doing in a fight will know how to render your baton next to useless. If someone is hell bent on fighting....I'd say about 95% of the time you're going to gain control of the suspect with nothing more than fisticuffs.

If fighting and use of force is such a big issue to you...as was stated previously...law enforcement is not for you.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

nisko
Rookie Member

Postby nisko » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm not a law enforcement kinda guy, but I have had my fair share of conflicts. If being in a confrontation is a problem, I'd get into some sort of training. I recommend Systema. It's a Russian martial art that basically gets the fear out of you with breathing techniques and punishment. They literally beat the fear out of you. Plus you work on striking, grappling, take downs, weapon defense/offense, fighting with more than one target. Eventually, you'll be able to sniff out when the initial attack is going to happen, and be able to use your skills to deal with the problem before it becomes a problem. I prefer to use verbal judo, I've talked my way out of many issues. sometimes you have to stroke someones ego to calm the situation, especially if you're in the incident by yourself.

If you'd like to know more about Systema, just hop on youtube and do a search.

brightlights
Rookie Member

Postby brightlights » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm

HIRED WITH THE ALBERTA SHERIFFS TODAY!!!!!! POSTED IN HINTON!!!! RECRUIT CLASS SEPTEMBER 23RD!!!!!

:drinking:
Alberta Sheriff

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm

brightlights wrote:HIRED WITH THE ALBERTA SHERIFFS TODAY!!!!!! POSTED IN HINTON!!!! RECRUIT CLASS SEPTEMBER 23RD!!!!!

Congrats, Welcome aboard!
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 pm

brightlights wrote:HIRED WITH THE ALBERTA SHERIFFS TODAY!!!!!! POSTED IN HINTON!!!! RECRUIT CLASS SEPTEMBER 23RD!!!!!

You finally got it! Yay hinton is an awesome spot
:wave:

BusDriver89
Rookie Member

Postby BusDriver89 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:02 am

recceguy wrote:Just so you know...batons and oc aren't gonna win you a fight....oc can be fought through, and anyone who knows what they are doing in a fight will know how to render your baton next to useless. If someone is hell bent on fighting....I'd say about 95% of the time you're going to gain control of the suspect with nothing more than fisticuffs.

If fighting and use of force is such a big issue to you...as was stated previously...law enforcement is not for you.

I've been in Mixed Martial Arts for nearly two years, including Boxing, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, and Kickboxing. Use of force and fighting is nothing new to me. I have sparred against some guys who are my own size plenty of times. I weigh in just above 200 pounds. I am not asking because it's a big issue, I am asking so that I can be better prepared to handle the situations that will happen.

I'm not a law enforcement kinda guy, but I have had my fair share of conflicts. If being in a confrontation is a problem, I'd get into some sort of training. I recommend Systema. It's a Russian martial art that basically gets the fear out of you with breathing techniques and punishment. They literally beat the fear out of you. Plus you work on striking, grappling, take downs, weapon defense/offense, fighting with more than one target. Eventually, you'll be able to sniff out when the initial attack is going to happen, and be able to use your skills to deal with the problem before it becomes a problem. I prefer to use verbal judo, I've talked my way out of many issues. sometimes you have to stroke someones ego to calm the situation, especially if you're in the incident by yourself.

If you'd like to know more about Systema, just hop on youtube and do a search.

Thanks, I will check it out and if I like it I hope they have training in my area.

Could anyone tell me more about the selection process? Specifically, the pre-entry questionairre, panel interview and both character reference checks and integrity questionairre.

And for those on the job, how heavy would you say the uniform and equipment is? Are you required to wear steel-toed boots? Thanks again.

BusDriver89
Rookie Member

Postby BusDriver89 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Congratulations!

brightlights
Rookie Member

Postby brightlights » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm

thanks fellas!
Alberta Sheriff

HwyMartin
Rookie Member

Postby HwyMartin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Quick question,
If I'm successful in the interview will I have to do further testing? And if so will I have to do those tests in Alberta? Just wondering since I'm out of the province...(been a while since I was on the solicitor general site)

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:43 am

HwyMartin wrote:Quick question,
If I'm successful in the interview will I have to do further testing? And if so will I have to do those tests in Alberta? Just wondering since I'm out of the province...(been a while since I was on the solicitor general site)

You will have to do a psych test, but this will be done in your home province by a doctor selected by Sol Gen. You may have to travel, but it will be in your province.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

HwyMartin
Rookie Member

Postby HwyMartin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Sierra Tango22 wrote:
HwyMartin wrote:Quick question,

You will have to do a psych test, but this will be done in your home province by a doctor selected by Sol Gen. You may have to travel, but it will be in your province.

That's good
Thanks!

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:27 pm

I didn't see a lot in this thread on becoming an MB Sheriff's Officer, so here has been my experience. Not my two cents mind you, as I haven't the experience to give it, just straight facts.

My background is a criminology major. I've been volunteering just over a year with E Fry Society providing programming in the Winnipeg Remand Centre as well. Beyond that, I had been working in corporate travel for a couple of years, so no direct LEO experience prior to entering the process.

I applied through the MB gov't employment opportunities website late June, and was notified of testing on 04 July. Testing dates were 15 & 16 July; I would estimate 50+ people in each session. I've tested for Corrections as well and interviewed twice, and the Sheriff's testing was similar if simplified and focused more on understanding courtrooms, sentencing, and processes of the justice system rather than institutions and institutional security. Coming from a criminology or criminal justice background it should not present a problem.

I don't recall when I was invited to interview, but it was within two weeks of the testing date. My interview was scheduled for 09 August. I had previously had two interviews for CO, and that was great prep. A couple words of advice:

- If you don't have LEO or security experience, don't sweat it. They want life experience and personality, your resume is not considered at all at this point. I came from a travel agent/call centre background, and prepped for about a year and a half to enter LE. I did it, you probably can to - but if you're straight out of school it may take a couple years to get the experience necessary.

- Make notes during the interview. Shorthand, w/e you need to keep track of the questions and plan your response. Seeing you answer questions under pressure is part of the process. I found the SO interviews to be less intense than CO.

- Failing once or twice doesn't mean you can't do the job, you may not have the experience they're looking for. One panel member advised me after my second interview for CO that I scored well above average on everything but a two required areas, and just needed to find better examples to demonstrate my qualifications to them, and they really hoped I was back in the next interview round.

I brought the following documents to the interview:
+Child Abuse check - done through MB CFS, took 3 days
+Adult Abuse check - see above - make sure to mention that it's for MB Justice and they expedite for you
+Criminal Record Search - Took almost two weeks to get mine
+Driver's Abstract

Less than two weeks later I was contacted for a security screening interview. It was more or less what I expected, but was surprised that they expected me to remember the birthdates of women I dated 10 years ago. At the screening I was given the medical fitness form.

+Medical Fitness Report - Went to a walk-in, cost $40. Considered claiming it under my benefits :twisted:
+Class 4 DL - failed once badly, retested and passed the next week. In MB, this is the hardest test to schedule in summertime. I scheduled my test within a week of the interview, and early Sept was the date I got. Called back a few times and got an earlier apt - after failing was given a date mid-Oct, and harassed MPI until I got 26 August.
+First Aid/CPR/AED Certification - I would recommend these for anyone, not just someone pursuing a career as LEO or EMT. Did mine through St.John's Ambulance, cost was $135.

I got my invitation to attend training 25 August - dropped my last docs off on the 28th, and received my uniform and kit/gear that day, minus spray and boots. Hhad a great talk with an SO that had been at it 25 years, who advised that it should be about 2-3 years to get permanent, he waited 12, and new hires get almost full time hours consistently, despite being part-time and term. Our training class will be 8 total - 4 male, 4 female to start early September. 4 weeks unpaid training, then 2 weeks paid if I understood him correctly, including a week with WPS in order to get sponsored as peace officers. So that's a rough idea of the timeline/process for getting on as SO in MB.

BoxTrick
Rookie Member

Postby BoxTrick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:18 pm

If you do not pass the psych evaluation for Alberta Sheriffs, how long till you are eligible to reapply? They never said anything over the phone (and I meant to ask but I was still a little a taken back I forgot too). I feel like I read something here awhile back that said 6 months but I wanted to double check. Thanks.

Crash902

Postby Crash902 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 am

BoxTrick wrote:If you do not pass the psych evaluation for Alberta Sheriffs, how long till you are eligible to reapply? They never said anything over the phone (and I meant to ask but I was still a little a taken back I forgot too). I feel like I read something here awhile back that said 6 months but I wanted to double check. Thanks.

I know that Alberta Corrections is a 6 month wait I would suspect something similar
Don`t Make me Care Bear Stare you!!
5..4..3..2..1.. Stare

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am

BoxTrick wrote:If you do not pass the psych evaluation for Alberta Sheriffs, how long till you are eligible to reapply? They never said anything over the phone (and I meant to ask but I was still a little a taken back I forgot too). I feel like I read something here awhile back that said 6 months but I wanted to double check. Thanks.

psych should be a breeze if your not crazy, just don't look to much into the questions. I think you cant apply for 1 year and i've heard we will start having actual deferrals issued in the future
:wave: