Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Ask a Sheriff

Postby Alberta Blue » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:48 pm

It has been suggested that we jump on the bandwagon and have a thread similar to the others for Sheriff applicants. Granted, Sheriff services across the country perform a wide array of different duties but it would be a central thread for people to look for info and ask pertinent questions. If a mod could sticky this one as well, that would be sweet! Thanks in advance :D

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:52 pm

OK, I'll start. Why are all you Sheriffs overweight, wear aviator sunglasses, have red sunburnt necks that you routinely wipe with a cloth and use phrases like, "you don't know when to shut up, do ya boy???".

Maybe I watch too much TV.

In all seriousness, stickiness granted.

CO

Transitpopo
Seasoned Member

Postby Transitpopo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 am

CourtOfficer wrote:OK, I'll start. Why are all you Sheriffs overweight, wear aviator sunglasses, have red sunburnt necks that you routinely wipe with a cloth and use phrases like, "you don't know when to shut up, do ya boy???".

Maybe I watch too much TV.

In all seriousness, stickiness granted.

CO

That would be American Sheriff's, in Alberta we're fit, wear oakley's, and with the new proffesional standards unit we don't tell people to shut up, because then they'll make a complaint. If you type in Alberta Sheriff's on google it's the first link that comes up. :)

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 am

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

blue_intraining22
Rookie Member

Postby blue_intraining22 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:22 am

I am guessing you are a traffic sheriff with the Solicitor General and Public Security. I have a few questions for you?
I am a graduate from a 2 year criminal justice program, I have 12 weeks of OJT with the 'J' Division, District 3 RCMP Traffic Unit, and I am enrolled in a Law & Security Program at the Atlantic Police Academy (for 2009/2010 35 weeks) that covers all aspects of the criminal justice field from sheriff services to Canadian Border Services Agency. It includes a courses such as speed measurement, police patrol techniques, defensive driving, and a firearms course. Also during the summer months I work at Youth Prison for the Department of Public Safety here in New Brunswick. Also I have completed as well as assisted in Awareness and educational presentations while on practicum and during the school year with a local police department.

My question is, with the experience and education I have, along with continuing my volunteering in the traffic safety awareness realm, would I make a competitive candidate for a Traffic Sheriff Position when the job posting is released again? If not Traffic, at least the SHERIFF, SECURITY TRANSPORT 3?

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 pm

PM sent.

curt101
Rookie Member

Postby curt101 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:50 pm

whats the app process like for sheriffs, doesent really get into it on the websites?

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Well, you wait for a job posting to come up here http://jobs.alberta.ca

When you apply, you will need to have run the PARE test with a time of 4:15 in the last 6 months. You will also need to have your AB Class 4 drivers license in your hand. Also, you will require your standard emergency first aid and CPR certificate.

You then submit your resume with along with the proof of the above, and wait for a call. The rest of the process consists of interviews and written tests (to test your writing and analytical skills). These are not standardized test - the thing you can study is your spelling and grammar.

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Alberta Blue:

You stated that when you apply to a sheriff's position you require your Class 4 AB drivers licence in hand. I am from Ontario and have a full class G driver's license which I assume is the equivelent of AB Class 4, my question is if I wanted to apply to the Alberta Sheriff's do I need to convert my Ontario license to a class 4, or would they accept my class G as it is?

thankyou in advance
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

gonqgrad
Grand Poobah

Postby gonqgrad » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:23 pm

MikeR wrote:Alberta Blue:

You stated that when you apply to a sheriff's position you require your Class 4 AB drivers licence in hand. I am from Ontario and have a full class G driver's license which I assume is the equivelent of AB Class 4, my question is if I wanted to apply to the Alberta Sheriff's do I need to convert my Ontario license to a class 4, or would they accept my class G as it is?

thankyou in advance
Class 4 would be the equivalent of an Ontario 'F' Class license. It's meant for the operation of Buses up to 24 passengers, and ambulances. It's a commercial class license, meaning you've got to get yourself a medical each time you renew it, as well as take the written test each time. The subject matter of the written test deal more for driving passengers in a commercial setting, rather than the rules of the road.

I would think if they're asking for a class 4, they would not except a G license from Ontario, as it is not really the equivalent.

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25 am

ok, so if Class 4 is equal to an Ontario class F drivers license, if I recieved my F here in Ontario, and applied to be an Alberta sheriff would that be accepted, or would I be required to convert the F into a 4?

thanks
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:55 am

MikeR wrote:ok, so if Class 4 is equal to an Ontario class F drivers license, if I recieved my F here in Ontario, and applied to be an Alberta sheriff would that be accepted, or would I be required to convert the F into a 4?

thanks
My understanding is that you require an Alberta DL. Besides if you were to get a job here, you would need to get it anyway. If you have an equivalent ON F class license (as someone mentioned) it should be that much easier to get it in Alberta - you probably would be able to skip the road test. (But don't quote me on that).

Sierra Tango22
Sage Member

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 am

Alberta Blue wrote:
MikeR wrote:ok, so if Class 4 is equal to an Ontario class F drivers license, if I recieved my F here in Ontario, and applied to be an Alberta sheriff would that be accepted, or would I be required to convert the F into a 4?

thanks
My understanding is that you require an Alberta DL. Besides if you were to get a job here, you would need to get it anyway. If you have an equivalent ON F class license (as someone mentioned) it should be that much easier to get it in Alberta - you probably would be able to skip the road test. (But don't quote me on that).
I do believe AB Blue is right ... I think you would only require a medical.

Feel free to Contact AMA or any Alberta Registries Branch

here are a few numbers

AMA - Alberta Motor Assocation Edmonton - (780) 989-6370
AMA - Alberta Motor Assocation Calgary - 1-866-989-6370
West-End Registrations, Licensing & Searches Ltd -(780)483-8211
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

bips
Veteran Member

Postby bips » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Ok, so I finally sent in my application...now just waiting for them to call...i hope i get some time to pack off as I just started my ERT training (2 weeks long)...anybody know how long from application to hire? Also, what is the housing situation like in fort mcmurray, as in the availability of rental apartments? anybody posted in one of the northern locations or edmonton, plzz pm me as I need to ask a few questions!
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

RemingtonSteel
Poobah Overlord

Postby RemingtonSteel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 am

Thanks for all the help guys, just one last thing, is the Class 4 required for all sheriff positions, or is it just the transport/court services ones?