ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Fonthill
Veteran Member

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Fonthill » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 am

claoct18 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 am
Can anyone provide some insight into the reality of being a TTC special constable ? (I.e conditions, pay, days off, support from peers / management etc) feel free to inbox me if that's what you're comfortable with. All perspectives are welcomed and appreciated! TIA
How about you read the first then if you cannot find the answer, one will be provided.

Somebody should make a section on free hand outs

Wow
Correctional Officer, CO2

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Conditions: train. Sometimes bus.
Pay: that's in the job ad if you're curious.
Days off: here and there
Support: I would imagine. And i would imagine you'd get more from the front line than you would from management.

Now.

Who is yo daddy....what does he do.
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 pm

claoct18 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 am
Can anyone provide some insight into the reality of being a TTC special constable ? (I.e conditions, pay, days off, support from peers / management etc) feel free to inbox me if that's what you're comfortable with. All perspectives are welcomed and appreciated! TIA

Well, I wont be able to speak as someone who works for TTC, but I can tell you being a Special Constable is hard.

You are expected to do a job similar to the police without people understanding your role / authorities.

The pay at TTC is great but you asking this questions tells me you haven't looked at their posting? Its shift work like you could expect. I mean good luck if you apply and you are looking for a career as a special constable.

claoct18
Rookie Member

Postby claoct18 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 am

I read the Online posting for the position but the website and job descriptions do not tell you much. FYI if anyone is on a forum inquiring about the Reality of something it probably means they want the raw and non- sugar coated version of what they’re potentially getting into.

Let me refine my questions though..

What does the schedule look like ? ( yes I know it’s shift work as many law enforcement agencies are, are they 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts?, is it 4 on 4 off, or a 60 24 schedule ( my corrections guys may be familiar with the 60 24)

Is there overtime, does it come and go or is it there in abundance, can you convert it to use as a regular day off?

Is the employer flexible with time off when needed ?

Are you pressured to fulfill monthly quotas ?

Does does the position offer a healthy work life balance ?

Would one consider this a long term or short term opportunity ( yes I know this question is subjective but I want an opinion)

And lastly, no I’m not going to read through a decade worth’s of forum pages to find the answer. I would like something current. If you can not answer any of these it’s simple, don’t.

Thanks in advance

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 am

timg87
Rookie Member

Postby timg87 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm

claoct18 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 am
I read the Online posting for the position but the website and job descriptions do not tell you much. FYI if anyone is on a forum inquiring about the Reality of something it probably means they want the raw and non- sugar coated version of what they’re potentially getting into.

Let me refine my questions though..

What does the schedule look like ? ( yes I know it’s shift work as many law enforcement agencies are, are they 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts?, is it 4 on 4 off, or a 60 24 schedule ( my corrections guys may be familiar with the 60 24)

Is there overtime, does it come and go or is it there in abundance, can you convert it to use as a regular day off?

Is the employer flexible with time off when needed ?

Are you pressured to fulfill monthly quotas ?

Does does the position offer a healthy work life balance ?

Would one consider this a long term or short term opportunity ( yes I know this question is subjective but I want an opinion)

And lastly, no I’m not going to read through a decade worth’s of forum pages to find the answer. I would like something current. If you can not answer any of these it’s simple, don’t.

Thanks in advance
12 hr shifts....long week 5 and short week 2..(60/24) time off is flexibleish depending on who is already off and why/what the time is for..

OT comes and goes...some you may bank in lieu.
Some paid duties you can't...

No pressure quota but just do your job and people will leave you alone....

Lots of great experience if you decide to go the PC route after
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm

To be a special constable for ttc or metrolinx one needs knowledge of various municipal, provincial and federal statutes, law enforcement and security principles and practices. Where do you learn the specific information they are looking for if you have not gone to a community college or do security.

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:01 pm

any help is appreciated

transit
Rookie Member

Postby transit » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:52 pm

hello, can any one help me regarding level 1 interview for metrolinx transit safety officer . What kind of question they can ask in level 1?

thanks

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 am

transit wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:52 pm
hello, can any one help me regarding level 1 interview for metrolinx transit safety officer . What kind of question they can ask in level 1?

thanks
Wow. Free hand out eh.

They ask for the kind of question where you hold your hand out and they give you high five wow
Correctional Officer, CO2

timg87
Rookie Member

Postby timg87 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 am
transit wrote:

thanks
Wow. Free hand out eh.

They ask for the kind of question where you hold your hand out and they give you high five wow
So frustrating.

All these answers are readily found with some research and due diligence. These tests and interviews aren't rock science or tricks....

It's no wonder all agencies and services are getting such ......unfortunate......candidates.

Sigh.

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

timg87
Rookie Member

Postby timg87 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm

timg87 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 am
transit wrote:

thanks
Wow. Free hand out eh.

So frustrating.

All these answers are readily found with some research and due diligence. These tests and interviews aren't rock science or tricks....

It's no wonder all agencies and services are getting such ......unfortunate......candidates.

Sigh.
Correction: rocket science

TorontoK9

Postby TorontoK9 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 pm

University of Toronto Campus Police at St George Campus (Downtown) are Hiring
We are looking to hire Special Constables
Go to the University of Toronto Careers Page
Job Call Closes Feb 6th
Retired after 30yrs with TPS
Currently Platoon S/Sgt University of Toronto Campus Police

ali393
Rookie Member

Postby ali393 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Just curious, whether or not TPS will be running any more District Special Constable recruitment and/or training classes.

I know it will be a continuous things but want to know if they have confirmed The class in May and beyond. Thank you.

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 am

https://careers.torontopearson.com/?_3x ... ferid=1378

They are no special constables, but interesting nonetheless. Toronto airport safety officers. They enforce airport regulations and some Transport Canada acts. Those guys are busy.

https://app06.ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/jobs.pl ... 2793947-01

OC Transpo is hiring specials again. Need your OACP Certificate though.