ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:59 pm

S3jadJ wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm
S3jadJ wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm
Hello everyone,
long time lurker here. I’m not on here looking for pity, just advice from sworn peace officers or anyone with something positive to say. Recently been informed that i failed the background check with TCHC for a special costable position. hearing the news sucked. but it is what it is :| . having said that do I have any hope left in terms of applying for any law enforcement employment. I was speaking with the recruiter and they advised me that my chances of landing a law enforcement job are slim to none having failed their background check, which is conducted by Toronto Police. any thoughts? anyone fail a background check and still land a job in law enforcement?
thank you
I wont lie to you, I've never heard of anyone failing the background and getting on later. Psych yes, happens all the time. Background though? No.
yikes, i guess it’s time to change professions..thanks bud
It doesn’t hurt to give them a call or send an email to follow up on why you failed.
I mean, you are the only person that knows the true reason if that is the case.

Give corrections a try.
Correctional Officer, CO2

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:59 pm
S3jadJ wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I wont lie to you, I've never heard of anyone failing the background and getting on later. Psych yes, happens all the time. Background though? No.
yikes, i guess it’s time to change professions..thanks bud
It doesn’t hurt to give them a call or send an email to follow up on why you failed.
I mean, you are the only person that knows the true reason if that is the case.

Give corrections a try.
Hello
thank you for your input. this is the part that frustrates me, I was told TPS does not provide any sort of information as to why an applicant failed the background test.

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:41 pm

You know why you fail a background check.

Either you've been accused/charged/convicted of some manner of offence, your credit sucks, your driving record sucks (DUI, stunt racing...) you've done too many drugs, associate with shady characters, have shady characters in your family that you may or may not have contact with...

If any of this is ringing any bells, that may be the reason. They dont just gong ya for no reason. The key is to disclose and explain. Dont try to hide anything from the background investigators. They will find out.
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 am

Either you've been accused/charged/convicted of some manner of offence, your credit sucks, your driving record sucks (DUI, stunt racing...) you've done too many drugs, associate with shady characters, have shady characters in your family that you may or may not have contact with...
Or an employer scuttles you.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 am
Hello All,
simple question, do you guys and girls believe it’s fair to be turned down from a job simply based on the fact that one of your family members is shady...I mean at the end of the day family is family. I can’t cut a family
member off because they decided to do something stupid 88) . I believe this process of elimination is unfair, if someone in an applicants family is an idiot. that’s their life and their choices :roll: . why should that impact an applicant who can be the complete opposite of his/her family.
again, just a question.

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:16 am

S3jadJ wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 pm
devilwoman wrote:
thank you

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:17 am

S3jadJ wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 pm
devilwoman wrote:

IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:37 am

devilwoman wrote:
Had that happen when I jumped ship to RCMP. An employer from waaaaaay back said I got written up and shitcanned (lie). Told my recruiter nope, if they said that they obviously have documentation of such thing and he should ask for it..... Called me back in a few hours and said don't worry about it.

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 pm
CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
CanadianQuackers wrote:Does anyone following this thread work for TCHC as a memeber of the CSU?
Sup?
Not too much, just curious about the experiences that people have. I noticed on their website they mention community patrol officers and special constables, is there a difference between the two? Additionally, is it a career that is viable long-term given the rental/living costs of the GTA?

Personally, it appeals the most out of any peace officer role I’ve come across, second being the TPS mobile crisis intervention teams, so I am curious if there is longevity in the role?

It seems like the info is kind of sparse, so any info is welcome. I assume you’re enrolled with TCHC?
Get hired as a cop, or do TCHC and then get hired as a cop. 22-29 $/Hr, sure if you got nothing better available. Going to calls without a gun where you know the "client's" are carrying shanks and firearms.

I hope people don't take this as me shitting on anything that isn't police. I'm not, nor do I have any issue with the S/Cst's that do a bang up job. But I wouldn't want a career where going in you KNOW your lacking a very serious piece of safety equipment, for relatively poor pay, in a solo car, dedicated to neighborhoods with criminals who have no problem pulling on a cop.

Fun fact, I grew up in housing (back when it was metro housing) and while i'm sure things have changed, dollars to donuts alot of what I saw still holds true today.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

subbie

Postby subbie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 am

We are hiring at McMaster again.

Posting on Indeed.

Not sure how many were trying for but we just lost another 2 bodies to constable hiring and one to the border. We were already short. Just became shorter.

For those interested. Check it out.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

Anyone here start with TCHC Monday?

CAGE_1
Rookie Member

Postby CAGE_1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Has anyone that has applied to the recent posting for legislative assembly special constable (Not OPP) received a response? I know the posting has only been closed for roughly a week and a bit however I am not familiar with how long a typical wait time is after the closing date for these types of postings.

AlwaysOnDuty
Rookie Member

Postby AlwaysOnDuty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 am

CAGE_1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm
Has anyone that has applied to the recent posting for legislative assembly special constable (Not OPP) received a response? I know the posting has only been closed for roughly a week and a bit however I am not familiar with how long a typical wait time is after the closing date for these types of postings.
I have come across this posting a few times abut that $480.00 non-transferable testing fee is a big turnoff. It's a really bad deal even compared to an ATS C.O.R.
MCSCS | Ontario Correctional Services
Correctional Officer 2

davi0531
Rookie Member

Postby davi0531 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Anyone know if special Constable agencies are also going to do away with applicant testing services? I know many police agencies are doing their own thing now and just curious

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

davi0531 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm
Anyone know if special Constable agencies are also going to do away with applicant testing services? I know many police agencies are doing their own thing now and just curious
Highly doubtful seeing as these agencies don’t have many ways to sort out their applicants. I know some agencies use Peace Officers status as a substitute for ATS.

subbie

Postby subbie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am

Most agencies are doing their own thing? Not that I have heard. Most are still under the OACP blanket requiring ATS as a pre application step. I do not think you will see much turn around from that anytime soon. OPP dropped it as a pilot project to my understanding. I do Aux. with the OPP and a number of events with uniform recruiting. What I hear is that it may return (ATS). It may not.

Think of it this way, if you are working in a bank and always thought of becoming a police officer, but you have to spend 350 bucks on ATS testing just to even apply, would you do it. Maybe not. I think the OPP recognized the ATS as a bit of a barrier to those kinds of folks and dropped the requirement for the time being to see if some professionals from outside the realm of security or law enforcement are enticed enough to apply. In a world where diverse backgrounds coming into the profession are desired, dropping the ATS makes it more appealing for people to apply.

At the same time if they do not get what they're looking for in terms of applicants then it could be reinstated. That is how it was broken down to me.

I know here at McMaster the Hamilton Police Service sets the bar as their police services board provides us with the appointment to S/Cst. Therefore it is required for applicants applying here to have a CONSTABLE ATS certificate because of the nature of our work here. We have a number of policing duties that we are tasked with here at the campus.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE