ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

LEOorbust
Rookie Member

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby LEOorbust » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Hey Everyone! Does anyone know if there are any physical fitness tests for OPP special constables? Their website doesn't mention anything about them.

Fritz
Rookie Member

Postby Fritz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:43 am

LEOorbust wrote:Hey Everyone! Does anyone know if there are any physical fitness tests for OPP special constables? Their website doesn't mention anything about them.
Yes, they expect you to have your ATS certificate before applying.

raptorsfan
Rookie Member

Postby raptorsfan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Plus you'll be doing the PIN test right before or after being hired.

Jacky Boy

Postby Jacky Boy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 am

The pay is good for starters. I used to interact with them frequently at my old job and they all seem like a good bunch of people.[/quote]

Absolutely, this job posting was actually for in house security and Transit Enforcement. I edited the in house security job portion out since this was a special constable thread. They pay amazingly well for security, just like TTC. I didn't even know TTC had in house until a few months ago. They're called "Protective Services Guards".

I'm still trying to figure out why this department doesn't have Special Constable status. What kind of equipment do they carry?[/quote]

Mississauga doesn't want oversight from Peel for their Security/Transit units, hence the lack of special status. Otherwise duties and expectations are similar. Both positions have MLEO status and bylaw enforcement powers. Salary is on par with other MLEOs/Specials. Ideally, Ontario would adapt the Alberta Peace Officer system and this role could fall under something like that.
There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do what they are told, and those who can do nothing else.

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 am

Does anyone following this thread work for TCHC as a memeber of the CSU?

EngineerMaybe
Rookie Member

Postby EngineerMaybe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:Does anyone following this thread work for TCHC as a memeber of the CSU?
Waiting just like you I suppose eh?

Lets be hopeful.

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:Does anyone following this thread work for TCHC as a memeber of the CSU?
Sup?
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianQuackers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:40 pm

EngineerMaybe wrote:
Waiting just like you I suppose eh?

Lets be hopeful.
I’m just a potential applicant, looking for some info actually. Unsure if I’m going to apply or not.

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianQuackers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 pm

CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
Sup?
Not too much, just curious about the experiences that people have. I noticed on their website they mention community patrol officers and special constables, is there a difference between the two? Additionally, is it a career that is viable long-term given the rental/living costs of the GTA?

Personally, it appeals the most out of any peace officer role I’ve come across, second being the TPS mobile crisis intervention teams, so I am curious if there is longevity in the role?

It seems like the info is kind of sparse, so any info is welcome. I assume you’re enrolled with TCHC?

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
Sup?
Not too much, just curious about the experiences that people have. I noticed on their website they mention community patrol officers and special constables, is there a difference between the two? Additionally, is it a career that is viable long-term given the rental/living costs of the GTA?

Personally, it appeals the most out of any peace officer role I’ve come across, second being the TPS mobile crisis intervention teams, so I am curious if there is longevity in the role?

It seems like the info is kind of sparse, so any info is welcome. I assume you’re enrolled with TCHC?
Community Patrol Officer is an obsolete term. It is what we used to use to refer to officers with Provincial Offences designation, prior to becoming Specials. Now that everyone starts off as Special Constable in Training, the CPO designation has been dropped.

Can you live off our salary? That depends. Do you live in a one bedroom apartment by yourself? Then yeah, sure. Do you self identify as a "baller?" Then probably not. We have a number of officers on the sunshine list (check the Ontario website for full disclosure) but some of those guys work OT every week. The simple answer is yes you can. The deeper answer is it depends what your lifestyle is like.

As far as experiences are concerned....there is very little in the world of policing that you will not experience in housing. With the exception being high speed car chases and hostage negotiations (although I've had a lil practice talking people down from things) we deal with everything from provincial offences to low level criminal charges to the execution of arrest warrants to assisting with homicide investigations. You will find dead bodies. You will find people in the worst 10 minutes of their lives. You will have days where you wonder if you're doing any good and you have days where you quite literally change or save someone's life.

A little insight from someone with almost a decade on the job.

Sworn Peace Officer

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:10 pm

CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
Community Patrol Officer is an obsolete term. It is what we used to use to refer to officers with Provincial Offences designation, prior to becoming Specials. Now that everyone starts off as Special Constable in Training, the CPO designation has been dropped.

Can you live off our salary? That depends. Do you live in a one bedroom apartment by yourself? Then yeah, sure. Do you self identify as a "baller?" Then probably not. We have a number of officers on the sunshine list (check the Ontario website for full disclosure) but some of those guys work OT every week. The simple answer is yes you can. The deeper answer is it depends what your lifestyle is like.

As far as experiences are concerned....there is very little in the world of policing that you will not experience in housing. With the exception being high speed car chases and hostage negotiations (although I've had a lil practice talking people down from things) we deal with everything from provincial offences to low level criminal charges to the execution of arrest warrants to assisting with homicide investigations. You will find dead bodies. You will find people in the worst 10 minutes of their lives. You will have days where you wonder if you're doing any good and you have days where you quite literally change or save someone's life.

A little insight from someone with almost a decade on the job.
Thank you for your response. That last bit certainly answers my longevity question. Have you found there's a lot of space for advancement or pursuing other areas of interest within the field of public safety at TCHC? I pursued post-secondary education prior to looking into becoming a peace officer and part of me still enjoys academics, specifically the field of political science due to policy writing, policy analysis etc. Maybe this can't be answered but is it likely that those skills become transferable and useful later on in a career at TCHC? I also appreciate how your insights lined up with the recruitment video on the CSU website, since a lot of the public safety promotional tools are often discussed as painting a different picture of the job.

The compensation aspect is also reassuring. My concern was that sometimes the special constable positions listed online aren't as high paying as other jobs requiring similar skillsets. Not that money is everything, but it is certainly a consideration when factoring the cost of living, especially in more expensive municipalities. Strangely, I was trying to find salary info online prior to posting and the only source was the sunshine list which had I think 21-22 Special Constables on it for 2017. Seeing as the reported number is 99 officers, that is quite a high percentage of earners in that salary range.

Did you have any prior experience in law before becoming an officer with TCHC? The website lists a familiarity with the law as being a requirement, I am just curious how accurate that is or if you have any tips for developing my skills to be more geared towards the job?

Once again, I appreciate your info and thank you for responding!

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm

At the moment there are no real lateral movements in the unit. In the past we have had officers seconded to TCHs Fraud Department, officers seconded to CBSA, but at present we do not have any specialized units. Outside of the Bike Patrol section in the summer. Upwards progression, we have our rank structure from SC to Sgt to SSgt to Inspector and the Chief. For obvious reasons those upper echelons dont open up all that often. If you have education and experience in policy, that would definitely help in the upwards direction as that is a large aspect of what SSgts and above do.

Prior to being hired with CSU I worked in private security, although some of that security experience was in public housing. I also did time as an Auxiliary with TPS. A working knowledge and experience in practical application of the law is vital as we do it every day.

As far as transferable skills within the organization, I've seen folks go from CSU to other departments within the company. It all depends on you, your experience and what you want to do. If you decide to pursue something inside the company but outside of CSU, just remember that first and foremost, we are a landlord. The rest of the company is not law enforcement based.

Sworn Peace Officer

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello everyone,
long time lurker here. I’m not on here looking for pity, just advice from sworn peace officers or anyone with something positive to say. Recently been informed that i failed the background check with TCHC for a special costable position. hearing the news sucked. but it is what it is :| . having said that do I have any hope left in terms of applying for any law enforcement employment. I was speaking with the recruiter and they advised me that my chances of landing a law enforcement job are slim to none having failed their background check, which is conducted by Toronto Police. any thoughts? anyone fail a background check and still land a job in law enforcement?
thank you

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm

S3jadJ wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm
Hello everyone,
long time lurker here. I’m not on here looking for pity, just advice from sworn peace officers or anyone with something positive to say. Recently been informed that i failed the background check with TCHC for a special costable position. hearing the news sucked. but it is what it is :| . having said that do I have any hope left in terms of applying for any law enforcement employment. I was speaking with the recruiter and they advised me that my chances of landing a law enforcement job are slim to none having failed their background check, which is conducted by Toronto Police. any thoughts? anyone fail a background check and still land a job in law enforcement?
thank you
I wont lie to you, I've never heard of anyone failing the background and getting on later. Psych yes, happens all the time. Background though? No.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

S3jadJ
Rookie Member

Postby S3jadJ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm
S3jadJ wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm
Hello everyone,
thank you
I wont lie to you, I've never heard of anyone failing the background and getting on later. Psych yes, happens all the time. Background though? No.
yikes, i guess it’s time to change professions..thanks bud