ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
LEOorbust
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:27 pm
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby LEOorbust » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Hey Everyone! Does anyone know if there are any physical fitness tests for OPP special constables? Their website doesn't mention anything about them.

Fritz
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm
Location: GTA
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Fritz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:43 am

LEOorbust wrote:Hey Everyone! Does anyone know if there are any physical fitness tests for OPP special constables? Their website doesn't mention anything about them.

Yes, they expect you to have your ATS certificate before applying.

User avatar
raptorsfan
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby raptorsfan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Plus you'll be doing the PIN test right before or after being hired.
POLICE OFFICER

Jacky Boy
Regular Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:58 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Jacky Boy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 am

The pay is good for starters. I used to interact with them frequently at my old job and they all seem like a good bunch of people.[/quote]

Absolutely, this job posting was actually for in house security and Transit Enforcement. I edited the in house security job portion out since this was a special constable thread. They pay amazingly well for security, just like TTC. I didn't even know TTC had in house until a few months ago. They're called "Protective Services Guards".

I'm still trying to figure out why this department doesn't have Special Constable status. What kind of equipment do they carry?[/quote]

Mississauga doesn't want oversight from Peel for their Security/Transit units, hence the lack of special status. Otherwise duties and expectations are similar. Both positions have MLEO status and bylaw enforcement powers. Salary is on par with other MLEOs/Specials. Ideally, Ontario would adapt the Alberta Peace Officer system and this role could fall under something like that.
There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do what they are told, and those who can do nothing else.

Canadian12
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Canadian12 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey all,

Question about Toronto Community Housing Special Constable position. Are they posted to specific community locations, or are they randomly all over the city? If they are assigned to specific communities, is it something the officer requests? Thanks for clarifying!

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby A_C_P_91 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Canadian12 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:57 pm
Hey all,

Question about Toronto Community Housing Special Constable position. Are they posted to specific community locations, or are they randomly all over the city? If they are assigned to specific communities, is it something the officer requests? Thanks for clarifying!
Hey Canadian12,

So for TCHC, there are many different positions that we have currently from being an assign patrol zone, float car, assigned community and a neighborhood officer.

You, upon completing coach training, will be given a list of 5 choices of where you wish to be placed. You are placed based on seniority of the class which is done by last name. Its not the best way to do it because of how unfair it is but that's just how its done.

We have the East, West and Central patrol areas.

Canadian12
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Canadian12 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Sorry, what are the 5 choices ? Thanks for the info.

Lospollos
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Lospollos » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:39 am

Canadian12 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm
Sorry, what are the 5 choices ? Thanks for the info.
Did you not read his post at all?
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Veteran Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Fonthill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am

Lospollos wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:39 am
Canadian12 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm
Sorry, what are the 5 choices ? Thanks for the info.
Did you not read his post at all?
I’m guessing they did, but they wanna be spoon fed lol
Correctional Officer, CO2

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby A_C_P_91 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:03 am

🥄 Here is the spoon:

1) East
2) West
3) Central

Positions:
Float Car
Violence Reduction Program
Patrol Zone
Neighborhood Officer

you may choose any combination of these with the exception of Neighborhood as it is in the east.
Example: East Field Support/Central Patrol Zone.

Good luck.

User avatar
CrimeDoesntPay
Regular Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

I understand where you're coming from. No worries lol

The city is broken down into a number of patrol zones. The Unit will give you a list of what patrol zones/neighbourhood officer/VRP spots are open (because we have guys with 30+ years and you ain't getting their spot) and you select your top 5 of what's available. Chances are you will not get your first choice. Or second. Hell third ain't looking so good either. But you will get a spot.

The odds of you getting a NO or VRP slot are not so good. Some of them spots are settled via union seniority and some via no holds barred cage match.

Each area of the city has its pros and cons. You'll get to know your communities, the players, the helpers and the style of policing required to make the difference you need to make.
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

subbie
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby subbie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:45 am

We will be hiring again at McMaster very shortly. 2 of us for sure are leaving for municipal services (I'm going to TPS), possibly a 3rd. He'll find out next week if he got it. I think they want to hire another 3 to 4 with us leaving. Just an FYI.

You'll need the CONSTABLE, ATS cert. as per Hamilton Police.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

Canadian12
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby Canadian12 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 pm

CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm
I understand where you're coming from. No worries lol

The city is broken down into a number of patrol zones. The Unit will give you a list of what patrol zones/neighbourhood officer/VRP spots are open (because we have guys with 30+ years and you ain't getting their spot) and you select your top 5 of what's available. Chances are you will not get your first choice. Or second. Hell third ain't looking so good either. But you will get a spot.

The odds of you getting a NO or VRP slot are not so good. Some of them spots are settled via union seniority and some via no holds barred cage match.

Each area of the city has its pros and cons. You'll get to know your communities, the players, the helpers and the style of policing required to make the difference you need to make.
Right on, thanks 👊

kingmodified
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby kingmodified » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 am

Jacky Boy wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 am
The pay is good for starters. I used to interact with them frequently at my old job and they all seem like a good bunch of people.
Absolutely, this job posting was actually for in house security and Transit Enforcement. I edited the in house security job portion out since this was a special constable thread. They pay amazingly well for security, just like TTC. I didn't even know TTC had in house until a few months ago. They're called "Protective Services Guards".

I'm still trying to figure out why this department doesn't have Special Constable status. What kind of equipment do they carry?[/quote]

Mississauga doesn't want oversight from Peel for their Security/Transit units, hence the lack of special status. Otherwise duties and expectations are similar. Both positions have MLEO status and bylaw enforcement powers. Salary is on par with other MLEOs/Specials. Ideally, Ontario would adapt the Alberta Peace Officer system and this role could fall under something like that.
[/quote]

I guess I am late to the party.....but I actually looked here and saw your post.

PSG Guards for the TTC provide security at the cash handling facility (gatehouse work) as well as some other small details to support the Special Constables and Fare Inspectors. They were also preforming yard patrols at one point but that has been taken away. They also provide direction to the contracted security guards who provide access control at various TTC facilities. They are not involved in the day to day enforcement or security of the transit system....it is a position that may disappear in time. They have no Use of Force options as they are expected to call for Special Constables or Police if needed....seeing as the cash facility is extremely secure...not many if anyone wanders in there

claoct18
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:06 am
Contact:

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby claoct18 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 am

Can anyone provide some insight into the reality of being a TTC special constable ? (I.e conditions, pay, days off, support from peers / management etc) feel free to inbox me if that's what you're comfortable with. All perspectives are welcomed and appreciated! TIA


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boomboom72, Google [Bot], hashimshah, Jets77, Majestic-12 [Bot], Prairie Applicant 88, Rangerdan4, SemrushBot, TLalor and 9 guests