ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

ZeroSkylineX
Rookie Member

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby ZeroSkylineX » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:07 pm

davi0531 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm
Anyone know if special Constable agencies are also going to do away with applicant testing services? I know many police agencies are doing their own thing now and just curious
subbie wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am
Most agencies are doing their own thing? Not that I have heard. Most are still under the OACP blanket requiring ATS as a pre application step. I do not think you will see much turn around from that anytime soon. OPP dropped it as a pilot project to my understanding. I do Aux. with the OPP and a number of events with uniform recruiting. What I hear is that it may return (ATS). It may not.

Think of it this way, if you are working in a bank and always thought of becoming a police officer, but you have to spend 350 bucks on ATS testing just to even apply, would you do it. Maybe not. I think the OPP recognized the ATS as a bit of a barrier to those kinds of folks and dropped the requirement for the time being to see if some professionals from outside the realm of security or law enforcement are enticed enough to apply. In a world where diverse backgrounds coming into the profession are desired, dropping the ATS makes it more appealing for people to apply.

At the same time if they do not get what they're looking for in terms of applicants then it could be reinstated. That is how it was broken down to me.

I know here at McMaster the Hamilton Police Service sets the bar as their police services board provides us with the appointment to S/Cst. Therefore it is required for applicants applying here to have a CONSTABLE ATS certificate because of the nature of our work here. We have a number of policing duties that we are tasked with here at the campus.
I wouldn't say "many", but some are.
  • OPP doesn't require COR now as of Jan 2019
  • UofT doesn't require COR either, they changed the minimum to law enforcement college diploma/university degree sometime last year (at least for the Scarborough Campus).
These are the only ones I can name off the top of my head in Ontario.

The reason why OPP got rid of their COR requirement is actually for a much different reason. Since OPP caters the entire province, people who live way up North of Ontario have geographical boundaries. For example, they would have to spend hundreds of dollars on flight tickets, spend another couple hundred on the ATS, and another couple hundred to fly back (or if they're driving, consider hotel costs, gas etc). Then consider all these costs again every 6 months when you renew your PREP. Considering all the testing locations caters to the majority of the province that is south, this makes sense. Here's OPP answering a FAQ about this question: https://www.facebook.com/OPPCareers/pos ... 531864697/

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:54 pm

can anyone give me tips for this test? whats involved and what should I study for? what are the tests I need to do

anybody able to contact me by phone (im in ontario for study tips and advice)
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants

raptorsfan
Rookie Member

Postby raptorsfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:54 pm
can anyone give me tips for this test? whats involved and what should I study for? what are the tests I need to do

What test are you talking about?

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 pm

raptorsfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Nicholas1989 wrote:

is there tests to becoming a Special constable? the GATB right? is that one difficult could you help me out on that one? tips and advice/
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018

raptorsfan
Rookie Member

Postby raptorsfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 pm
raptorsfan wrote:
Nicholas1989 wrote:

is there tests to becoming a Special constable? the GATB right? is that one difficult could you help me out on that one? tips and advice/
There are many different Special Constable positions in Ontario, and a lot of them require different tests. You should be researching the requirements of the job you wish to apply to. Which Special Constable job are you interested in?

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:34 pm

raptorsfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 pm
Nicholas1989 wrote:
raptorsfan wrote:

There are many different Special Constable positions in Ontario, and a lot of them require different tests. You should be researching the requirements of the job you wish to apply to. Which Special Constable job are you interested in?

Well 2 mainly The court one and the one working at mcmaster since I work there now :p lol
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018

raptorsfan
Rookie Member

Postby raptorsfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 am

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:34 pm
raptorsfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 pm
Nicholas1989 wrote:

Well 2 mainly The court one and the one working at mcmaster since I work there now :p lol
Almost every police agency in Ontario employs Special Constables as Court Officers. You need to be more specific.

https://security.mcmaster.ca/about_job.html

You should be familiar with the McMaster website since you work there. This is what I found with Google.

readytoserve

Postby readytoserve » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:

I'm pretty sure any agency hiring specials would accept a C.O.R.
Why not just get that instead? I can't imagine a special service stipulating specifically they'll only accept the ATS special cert. and won't take an applicant with a C.O.R.
CBSA
Applied Jan 2019
OTEE Mar 2019
PARE Apr 2019

CSC
Applied December 2018
SJT March 2019
Interview April 2019
References May 2019
CTP1 Invite May 2019

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am

I heard this numerous times, but I don’t know if it is just a rumor or not: somebody mentioned that OPP special constable will take Ontario correctional officer as lateral transfer applicant. I personally highly doubt it, but at least three individuals mentioned this to me in the past few months. I googled it up and could not find any reliable source to verify that. Have anyone heard anything like this?
MB Correctional Officer
Jan, 2014: written test
Feb, 2014: tour at the jail; 2 interviews
Feb, 2014: basic training invitation
Apr, 2014: started basic training
June, 2014: completed the training
Dec, 2014: passed the probation period, career secured!

fitch

Postby fitch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 pm

There was an OPS internal posting for OPP special constable, Niagara/Burlington region.

So yes there is the chance they will consider your service as a CO for the position. (I am currently also a ON. CO)

The OPP offender transport you do require the ATS certificate.

readytoserve

Postby readytoserve » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am

Just out of sheer curiosity, I noticed during all the hub-bub about booting Raybould-Wilson and Philpott from caucus last night on the news, a lot of the specials were wearing Team Canada hockey hats/ball caps. Or maybe this was at the Ontario legislature, I can't remember which ledge I saw it at.
I'm sure it's a work action thing but just wondering what the situation is, it was amusing to see everyone with these colorful hats on sliding in and out of camera view. :alright:
CBSA
Applied Jan 2019
OTEE Mar 2019
PARE Apr 2019

CSC
Applied December 2018
SJT March 2019
Interview April 2019
References May 2019
CTP1 Invite May 2019

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm

fitch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 pm
There was an OPS internal posting for OPP special constable, Niagara/Burlington region.

So yes there is the chance they will consider your service as a CO for the position. (I am currently also a ON. CO)

OPP is strict for their ATS requirement on Special Constable. Unlike PC, Specials are a little different in where they are run. If you have current Peace Officer Status then you will not be looked at without an ATS..

Some agencies accept Status over the testing just like TCHC. However, even with status, you are required to produce a PARE/PREP or PIN fitness test that is current.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:53 pm

readytoserve wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am
Just out of sheer curiosity, I noticed during all the hub-bub about booting Raybould-Wilson and Philpott from caucus last night on the news, a lot of the specials were wearing Team Canada hockey hats/ball caps. Or maybe this was at the Ontario legislature, I can't remember which ledge I saw it at.
I'm sure it's a work action thing but just wondering what the situation is, it was amusing to see everyone with these colorful hats on sliding in and out of camera view. :alright:
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same way. :)
MB Correctional Officer

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 pm

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm
fitch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 pm

OPP is strict for their ATS requirement on Special Constable. Unlike PC, Specials are a little different in where they are run. If you have current Peace Officer Status then you will not be looked at without an ATS..

Some agencies accept Status over the testing just like TCHC. However, even with status, you are required to produce a PARE/PREP or PIN fitness test that is current.
That’s true, and I also get an e-mail from OPP OPT team which told me the same thing as you told me. Thanks for replying :-)
MB Correctional Officer

adamc11
Rookie Member

Postby adamc11 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Anyone have pay schedules and Job Descriptions for Special Constables with Hamilton and Durham Region.
I am a special constable who is doing a project for our association and have credentials to prove it. If anyone has this information, please contact me.
Thanks