ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KJC33
Rookie Member

Re: ASK A SPECIAL CONSTABLE

Postby KJC33 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Hey,

Can anyone comment on if TTC contacts you regardless of being successful or unsuccessful at any stage of the process? Also, has anyone here heard back from York Transit who was at the PBQ on Dec. 3.

Thanks

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey,

I will be attending the testing session with McMaster University tomorrow night. Anybody on here going to be there? Or is there any current members of the Mac SC team on here?

Just looking for any last minute pointers that might help. I've spent all week going over my notes from PF on steps to arrest, police powers, LLA and TPA etc...

GoodCanadianKid
Rookie Member

Postby GoodCanadianKid » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:37 pm

RobLScott wrote:Hey,

I will be attending the testing session with McMaster University tomorrow night. Anybody on here going to be there? Or is there any current members of the Mac SC team on here?

Just looking for any last minute pointers that might help. I've spent all week going over my notes from PF on steps to arrest, police powers, LLA and TPA etc...

Yeah, I went to that test as well. Couple questions got me though haha :banghead: did you hear back from them yet?
Last edited by GoodCanadianKid on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm

haha yeah thankfully she sort of gave a heads up at the info session. So I had refreshed myself on all that during the week and remembered the answers. Otherwise I would have been screwed for sure.

Yeah I heard back yesterday and I have an interview on Feb 10th. I'm pretty excited, it would be a sweet upgrade and foot-in-the-door job. To be honest I'm a little intimidated that (Hamilton's former Chief) Glenn De Caire is the new security director and will be a member of the panel during the interview. :shock:

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:21 am

Hopefully DeCaire will breath some new life back into Mac 50. He is all business and concerned with the organization he is with. Not in building his own little nest o Kingdom.

He will be leading rather recounting his past career.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:19 am

Hey guys, looking for some personal advice...

*snippet*

Do you recommend getting a degree or going ahead and applying to be SC then doing the degree on the job?
Last edited by DonutMan on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 am

Apply and see what happens. If you get hired, most universities offer free education as a benefit to employees. GO Transit also offers an educational allowance if related to your current position.

If you don't get hired, then go for the degree. Its a win-win situation really. A bigger win, of course, if you get hired and get it paid for.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 am

devilwoman wrote:Apply and see what happens. If you get hired, most universities offer free education as a benefit to employees. GO Transit also offers an educational allowance if related to your current position.

If you don't get hired, then go for the degree. Its a win-win situation really. A bigger win, of course, if you get hired and get it paid for.

I kick myself for not applying to University of Guelph Police when their applications were open a few months back. Also didn't apply to GO Transit either.

I don't really see any positions open other than Transit Enforcement Officer for Mississauga but it's not a Special Constable role. Guess I'll have to wait.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi I was just invited for testing with the TTC Special Constables. I was hoping that someone out there could shed some light on what they are looking for in the initial testing phase! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:07 pm

DonutMan wrote:
devilwoman wrote:Apply and see what happens. If you get hired, most universities offer free education as a benefit to employees. GO Transit also offers an educational allowance if related to your current position.

I kick myself for not applying to University of Guelph Police when their applications were open a few months back. Also didn't apply to GO Transit either.

I don't really see any positions open other than Transit Enforcement Officer for Mississauga but it's not a Special Constable role. Guess I'll have to wait.

Mississauga Transit is good pay and experience. They're by-law enforcement/provincial offenses officers. University openings are few and far between with stiff competition when they come up. Guelph and Western are pretty much at the top of the want to get in list for university special constables.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:Hopefully DeCaire will breath some new life back into Mac 50. He is all business and concerned with the organization he is with. Not in building his own little nest o Kingdom.

He will be leading rather recounting his past career.

Yeah I'm not going to lie. The thought of working with DeCaire sounds pretty cool. I'm not sure how much face time, or on the job time I would get with him if I get the job. But the idea of potentially having a former Police Chief as a reference for my constable applications is pretty sweet. :thumbsup:

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:04 pm

DonutMan wrote:

I would still apply to Mississauga - as DJ said, they are appointed as bylaw officers. So you'll get some good experience for future applications - plus the pay is pretty awesome.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

qaiszam
Rookie Member

Postby qaiszam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:39 am

Hi all,

I was hoping if someone could shed some light on TTC Special Constable entrance examination. I have no idea what material to focus/study/prepare on.
Any insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Read the invitation e-mail, it tells you what will be on the test.

qaiszam wrote:Hi all,

I was hoping if someone could shed some light on TTC Special Constable entrance examination. I have no idea what material to focus/study/prepare on.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

KJC33
Rookie Member

Postby KJC33 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 am

mack_silent wrote:Read the invitation e-mail, it tells you what will be on the test.

qaiszam wrote:Hi all,

Ya I totally jumped the gun on that one. I put together some notes for Saturday.