Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Supernova » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

prostagma wrote:Heading to Saskatoon October 7, then off to Edmonton Institution! :)

Congrats mate!
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work hard for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." HJS
Supernova
Rookie Member

Postby jdm16 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Question. I'm in the process of both federal and provincial corrections. I'm looking to get anyone's opinion on which one you believe is the "best" career move and why.

Thanks and good luck to everyone
jdm16
Rookie Member

Postby Supernova » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:37 pm

jdm16 wrote:Question. I'm in the process of both federal and provincial corrections. I'm looking to get anyone's opinion on which one you believe is the "best" career move and why.

Which Province?
EDIT* I know of a few Provincial Correctional Officers that have just made the switch to Federal because of better equipment, pay etc...
Last edited by Supernova on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work hard for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." HJS
Supernova
Rookie Member

Postby FedCO » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:44 pm

jdm16 wrote:Question. I'm in the process of both federal and provincial corrections. I'm looking to get anyone's opinion on which one you believe is the "best" career move and why.

In most cases federal. We got better funding, more UOF options and were armed. We got a good pension and such. There is some room for advancing. Some provincial joints for more positions bit overall at this point unless quebec go federal. Just the fact we got a better union, stab vests, firearms, cuffs oc etc. You can work anywhere in Canada.
FedCO
King Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:03 am

FedCO wrote:

In most cases federal. We got better funding, more UOF options and were armed. We got a good pension and such. There is some room for advancing. Some provincial joints for more positions bit overall at this point unless quebec go federal. Just the fact we got a better union, stab vests, firearms, cuffs oc etc. You can work anywhere in Canada.

whatever fedco said above! in the bc provincial system, co's only get standard issued cuffs and gloves. other gear such as oc, baton, vests are based on the post the co's assigned to for that shift. no firearms. oh yes, bc co's work alone on the ranges with a maximum of 60 offenders (soon to be over 70). sounds good to you?

fedco, what were you saying about qc provincial corrections?
Gaoler
Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:05 am

Supernova wrote:
prostagma wrote:Heading to Saskatoon October 7, then off to Edmonton Institution! :)

Congrats mate!

did you guys both get an email today about the date change for oct 7?
Gaoler
Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 am

Gaoler wrote:
FedCO wrote:

whatever fedco said above! in the bc provincial system, co's only get standard issued cuffs and gloves. other gear such as oc, baton, vests are based on the post the co's assigned to for that shift. no firearms. oh yes, bc co's work alone on the ranges with a maximum of 60 offenders (soon to be over 70). sounds good to you?

fedco, what were you saying about qc provincial corrections?

Qc provincial are the only provincial armed COs. They took arming seriously. Ever since a few COs we're killed by bikers.
FedCO
King Poobah

Postby magyar1987 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

hey guys, i had my psych test on aug 28 and finished CTP-1 on aug 30. I received an email this past tuesday stating that i completed CTP-1 and that ive been placed in the national pool and may be selected and be given a CLO. Should i be worried if i dont hear back anything by the end of this week? Will CSC advise you if you passed/failed the psych exam?
Applied: Feb 2013
Written Test: Mar 2013 Passed
Interview: Aug 2013
Fingerprints: Aug 2013
References: Aug 2013
Medical: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 1: Sept 2013 Passed
Pysc: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 2 March 2013
stage 3 April 24 - July 3 PACIFIC REGION

Hired!
magyar1987
Rookie Member

Postby Supernova » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

magyar1987 wrote:hey guys, i had my psych test on aug 28 and finished CTP-1 on aug 30. I received an email this past tuesday stating that i completed CTP-1 and that ive been placed in the national pool and may be selected and be given a CLO. Should i be worried if i dont hear back anything by the end of this week? Will CSC advise you if you passed/failed the psych exam?

no and yes :banghead:
Supernova
Rookie Member

Postby Supernova » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 pm

Gaoler wrote:
Supernova wrote:

Congrats mate!

did you guys both get an email today about the date change for oct 7?

Goaler, I thought you were already scheduled to go Oct 7. Did they change your date?
Supernova
Rookie Member

Postby jdm16 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 pm

I was definitely and still am leaning towards federal. Thanks for your responses it will definitely affect my decision when it comes to crunch time.
jdm16
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:31 pm

This is for the older members on the fourm just wondering how long it takes to transfer from parries back to ontario once you are hired!

Thanks
snow319

Postby D-Fry » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 pm

snow319 wrote:This is for the older members on the fourm just wondering how long it takes to transfer from parries back to ontario once you are hired!

Thanks

I would say it depends where you want to go to. The process can be quite lengthy, unless you get a compassionate transfer. I worked with a male and a female (same rank) that applied for a transfer to the same institution; she got it, he didn't, they were looking for a female. The whole process varies. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, according to the new contract you will have to commit for at least two years to a deployment.
Suum Cuique
D-Fry
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Darius wrote:
snow319 wrote:This is for the older members on the fourm just wondering how long it takes to transfer from parries back to ontario once you are hired!

Thanks

I would say it depends where you want to go to. The process can be quite lengthy, unless you get a compassionate transfer. I worked with a male and a female (same rank) that applied for a transfer to the same institution; she got it, he didn't, they were looking for a female. The whole process varies. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, according to the new contract you will have to commit for at least two years to a deployment.

That will be when the new contract is signed. Right now you cannot request a deployment until you have completed one year of service.

Also 2 jails are closing in Ontario.....don't expect to transfer back there. You will obviously be able to at some point but don't bet on it being soon. I have a buddy trying to transfer back and it's not happening, and of course transfers are done by seniority....which you will not have.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby D-Fry » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

BravoZulu wrote:
Darius wrote:

Thanks

That will be when the new contract is signed. Right now you cannot request a deployment until you have completed one year of service.

Also 2 jails are closing in Ontario.....don't expect to transfer back there. You will obviously be able to at some point but don't bet on it being soon. I have a buddy trying to transfer back and it's not happening, and of course transfers are done by seniority....which you will not have.

BZ

That contract is pretty much signed; the only way it won’t go through is if a massive meteorite destroys the earth :mrgreen:
Suum Cuique
D-Fry
Grand Poobah

PreviousNext

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)